DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Steve (02-17-2012)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    2d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't really see how people believing in something that gives them hope is evil, although I personally am not religious. I don't care if people want to believe in a God, I personally choose not to. I do, however, dislike when people try to force their religion at me and view me differently for not being religious. I believe in what I want to believe in, and others are free to do the same.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    49 times
    Time Online
    6d 23h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    It's not evil. It's the ones that... how should I put it... well, if you say Atheists chose to not believe in God... that's not true. I wish I could believe like the rest of my family, but I simply think the idea of a God is absurd.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bacon For This Useful Post:

thequeen (04-09-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    It's not evil. It's the ones that... how should I put it... well, if you say Atheists chose to not believe in God... that's not true. I wish I could believe like the rest of my family, but I simply think the idea of a God is absurd.
    So essentially you don't believe in God then? lol
    If you take the idea of God, and look at it as being way out in left field, not possible; that's not believing.
    I mean, you could believe if you wanted to, but you just choose not to. Nothing wrong with that. But I think atheism is pretty much not believing in any Gods? o-o
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    49 times
    Time Online
    6d 23h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    So essentially you don't believe in God then? lol
    If you take the idea of God, and look at it as being way out in left field, not possible; that's not believing.
    I mean, you could believe if you wanted to, but you just choose not to. Nothing wrong with that. But I think atheism is pretty much not believing in any Gods? o-o
    -
    I'm not sure I can actually call myself an atheist, but I don't believe in god. Period. I did use to think god was real when I was younger until I was about 10. The only reason is because my parents are catholic and they made me and forced religion upon me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Well I think it's a bit harsh to say your parents made you and forced religion on you.
    That's like saying they speak english, so they made you speak english and forced it upon you.

I think a lot of peoples families take them to church, or go to the religious ed and all that kinda stuff when you are younger. But once you get old enough in the catholic church at least, you are able to think for yourself and decide if it's right for you.

They didn't FORCE it on you, they opened you up to it. And if you get older and decide that it's not for you, then so be it, you don't have to keep at it.

I had a similar experience. I was raised catholic my whole life, got all the sacraments, confirmation, etc etc. I'm still not 100% sure what I believe, but I would like to believe there is something bigger than me out there. I'm not going to completely denounce it, but I'm not full fledged into it.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Well I think it's a bit harsh to say your parents made you and forced religion on you.
    That's like saying they speak english, so they made you speak english and forced it upon you.

I think a lot of peoples families take them to church, or go to the religious ed and all that kinda stuff when you are younger. But once you get old enough in the catholic church at least, you are able to think for yourself and decide if it's right for you.

They didn't FORCE it on you, they opened you up to it. And if you get older and decide that it's not for you, then so be it, you don't have to keep at it.

I had a similar experience. I was raised catholic my whole life, got all the sacraments, confirmation, etc etc. I'm still not 100% sure what I believe, but I would like to believe there is something bigger than me out there. I'm not going to completely denounce it, but I'm not full fledged into it.
    I can agree to this. I don't really know what to think, but I refuse to believe that some guy is sitting there, determining our eternal fate based off of a few years. I honestly think our established religions nowadays are merely a human's attempt at rationalizing what we do not and cannot know about. The foundational morals found in religion are essentially all the same, so we have to assume human nature is roughly the same. But to say a religion is good or bad is in terms of the persons perspective. Religion is a thing; it is neither good nor evil. Its followers however, are another story. Evil men will do bad, just as good will do good. That is also up to perception of what is good and what is evil. It all traces back to your perspective. However, rationalizing any action with religion, good or bad, is completely moronic. Your god, or whatever you believe in, did not dictate that you did this; you did. Credit is given where credit is due. God did not kill those people; a murderer did. God did not save that man, the person who saved that man saved that man. That is where religion's influence is bad. Under any circumstance. You can only be rational if you reason things out, not pray. I'd much rather give myself the best chance I have than throw my problems at God, or whatever, hoping I will be saved...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    that is called being an agnostic.

I myself am an agnostic. I don't believe in a god or gods. But that doesn't mean I know more than those people that do. Who knows what's out there?

Either way, I like to think and believe and be free and not held back by the dogmas of religions. Whatever you say, religion truly does inhibit intellectual growth (by forcing you to accept something out of "faith" rather than rational thought).

I don't need religion to do the right thing, and to distinguish right from wrong. I really have strong views on this.