6/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    1d 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Religion is a detriment to society

I truly believe that religion is one of the most evil creations of man. The fact that any religion is relevant in todays society is absurd. Discuss.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    201 times
    Time Online
    7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    First and foremost, I'm an atheist but even then I can say Religion is not evil. It is a faith, the simple act of believing brings about profound strength and unity.

To blame religion is similar to all your personal problems on society.

You attribute events that happen to you personally as a result of entities and social constructs that appear to be negative.

Religion is believing and there is nothing wrong in that. Most people don't eat, live, and sleep religion. They merely use it as a guideline.

Religion is not evil. Evil comes from Humanity.

Don't get the two mixed up.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Evelsaint For This Useful Post:

alskdjfhg (12-29-2011),Ashton (12-29-2011),KTRoo (01-29-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    In the past, men caused a lot of wars and violence because of religion. Today, it is still true for many countries. But I'm asking myself, is it religion or men interpretation that it causing all the pain?

No where, I heard that Bible or God said to men go and kill the ones that aren't in the same religion as you.
    No more than 70 years ago, women weren't able to vote here, in Qu
    Last edited by Slasher; 12-29-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    1d 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The bible does command you to kill non believers though, as well as adulterers and disobedient children.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:

alskdjfhg (12-29-2011),Ashton (12-29-2011),Bailey (01-27-2012),Cara (12-29-2011),Epic (01-16-2012),KTRoo (01-29-2012),Rainbowpie (01-16-2012),Sari (01-13-2012),Slasher (12-29-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    69/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's not religion itself that's evil. It's the crazy fucks that interpret it based on the way they see things that are evil. Most muslims are not evil or fanatical, they're just doing their thing, believing what they want to believe. However, many Americans believe muslims are crazy Arabic-speakers that want to blow up the US in holy war. Why? Because a VERY small minority of extremists believe that the Jihad is the way to do things.

To reiterate Evelsaint's point: Don't blame religion, blame the people that take religion out of proportion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

Ashton (12-29-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176: Narrated by 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.'" Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 177: Narrated by Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

Qur'an 2:191: And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

Qur'an 4:089: They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper.

Qur'an 4:091: You will find others who desire that they should be safe from you and secure from their own people; as often as they are sent back to the mischief they get thrown into it headlong; therefore if they do not withdraw from you, and (do not) offer you peace and restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them; and against these We have given you a clear authority.

Qur'an 9:005: So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Qur'an 17:033: And do not kill any one whom Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause, and whoever is slain unjustly, We have indeed given to his heir authority, so let him not exceed the just limits in slaying; surely he is aided.

There's plenty of stuff like that in the Bible too. Like others have said before, religion is fine as long as you aren't extreme in withholding what your religion says. What happened on 9/11 happened because of extremists that take their religion way too seriously. As long as you don't go around hurting others because of your religion, its fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bamag For This Useful Post:

Slasher (12-29-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I do not believe religion is evil at all, however, those who choose to follow religion blindly or those who are extremists, annoy me. Religion is suppose to push people towards love rather than hatred. God said to not judge others and to love thy neighbors, yet a lot of religious people bash the lgbt community, atheists, etc.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mohandas Gandhi

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Fu

Taking out my argument about Bible not telling men to use violence. But still thinking that religion is an excuse to some people's acts.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    128 times
    Time Online
    34d 15h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    It wasn't created by man was created by god just had men write it.