101/0
    Mentioned
    132 times
    Time Online
    34d 7h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

Internships

I'm starting an internship tomorrow (unpaid of course, unfortunately) at my local health department to go along with this course I'm finishing at my technical school. I was wondering if any of you have ever done internships, and if so was it worth it?

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also a little nervous because I'm always a little nervous around new people at first and tomorrow it'll just be a whole ton of new people >.>

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've never done one myself but if I'd been offered the opportunity I'd have taken it. I work in HR and quite a lot of my role consists of recruitment, if I had to decide between candidates for a role/interview then somebody who'd interned somewhere would definitely stand out.

Although it'll be a little scary meeting all these new people you never know when they might be able to help you out in the future, or where the internship could lead!

Enjoy your first day

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    101/0
    Mentioned
    132 times
    Time Online
    34d 7h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Good point, internships do look good since it gives experience. My mom was like "You may not like it at first, but try to!"

It'll be mostly administrative stuff, like filing and all that so it shouldn't be too bad. I guess I'll just have to see when I get there tomorrow.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    129/0
    Mentioned
    355 times
    Time Online
    89d 14h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    I'd love to do some internships, but just haven't found the time nor a place. Might be able to do a paid one over the summer, it's not a very long shot, but might not go through either.

If you're nervous at first, then I assume you aren't after a while.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    101/0
    Mentioned
    132 times
    Time Online
    34d 7h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyadead View Post
    I'd love to do some internships, but just haven't found the time nor a place. Might be able to do a paid one over the summer, it's not a very long shot, but might not go through either.

If you're nervous at first, then I assume you aren't after a while.
    xD Well I'm not nervous after I get to know the people =p

I hope you do get it =) Paid internships are hard to come by (at least where I live xD)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    129/0
    Mentioned
    355 times
    Time Online
    89d 14h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Well, it's sort of like an internship.. It's a job, but *could* be made into an internship.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    68 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'd say have this one day to cool off and get started, maybe have a bit of thinking time for it. I'm sure you'll do great

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    12d 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I'm doing sort of an internship through my school in my final year, it's like an unpaid work experience thing.

I've found it to be so much fun but the work place did take a little getting used to.
    Also, the big boss man seems to busy to assist me, but one of the newer employees has taken me under her wing so it's now working out great.

Be patient with it, give it a week or so to suss everyone out and get used to the place. I'm sure you'll have a great time and it'll look awesome on your CV. Good luck.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    101/0
    Mentioned
    132 times
    Time Online
    34d 7h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Thanks =)

Yeah I have this woman I'm supposed to 'report to' kind of. I guess she's the one in charge of the interns. I'm sure it'll go fine though, it's from like 10 AM-1 (or 3, since I can work longer then just till 1). I'll be meeting her for the first time tomorrow as well, I just hope she's nice xD