Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A simple guide to Intermittent Fasting!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m

A simple guide to Intermittent Fasting!

(you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

Hello everyone! In the following guide, I will briefly explain Intermittent Fasting: its definition, benefits, side effects, and how to easily incorporate it into your routine. I will primarily focus on its advantages for weight loss and physical well-being, but I will also discuss its psychological effects.

I encourage everyone, especially those new to this, to try it for at least a day, week, month, or even longer and share their results. Towards the end of the thread, I will also share my own experience of one year of fasting.

Topics to be covered:

Definition: Understanding the basics of Intermittent Fasting.
    Physical Benefits: Exploring the positive impact on weight loss and overall well-being.
    Psychological Benefits: Discussing the mental and emotional aspects associated with Intermittent Fasting.
    Methods: Different approaches to Intermittent Fasting and finding what works best for you.
    Coffee as an Ally: Discovering the role of coffee and how it can complement your fasting journey.
    My experience with fasting: Why did I start? Why did I stop? How do I do it now?

Feel free to engage, ask questions, and share your thoughts about it! Or feel free to track your progress here if you would like to

What is intermittent fasting? History of fasting in humanity.

Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of eating and fasting (not eating). It doesn't prescribe specific foods to eat but rather focuses on WHEN you should eat. The primary aim of intermittent fasting is to create a time-restricted feeding window, during which you consume your daily meals, followed by a fasting period.

The practice of intermittent fasting is believed to have been a natural part of the lifestyle of hunter-gatherer societies, as it was shaped by the availability and scarcity of food in their environments. Hunter-gatherer societies, which existed for the majority of human evolutionary history, were nomadic and relied on hunting, fishing, and gathering plant-based foods for sustenance. Fasting likely occurred as a natural consequence of their way of life, driven by factors such as the unpredictability of food sources, seasonal variations, and the success of hunting or foraging expeditions.

For this reason, I believe that fasting is also a great way to connect with our own nature. After all, we humans are also animals, and the way we evolved involved periods of fasting. It is only very recently that, as a society, we can easily access a supermarket or a shop and get our food on the table effortlessly. The side effects of this are yet to be seen, but we can already make a quick guess that our current feeding habits might not be the best.

Fasting has been a common practice in ancient cultures. Ancient Greeks, for example, practiced a form of intermittent fasting called "pythagoreans," which involved abstaining from certain foods for a period. It has also been incorporated into many religions, like the month of Ramadan, the Lent before Easter or even during the greek period when Hippocrates, often regarded as the father of Western medicine, was also proposing fasting periods in order to promote health.

Last, but not least, there must be other reasons as to why in recent decades, intermittent fasting has gained quite some popularity... And I will do my best to explain why!

What are the physical benefits?

Weight Loss and Fat Loss: During fasting periods, the body uses stored fat for energy, leading to a reduction in overall body fat. Additionally, intermittent fasting may help control calorie intake.

Improved Metabolic Health: Improvements in insulin sensitivity and blood sugar levels.

Cardiovascular Health: Improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and other cardiovascular risk factors being reduced.

Cellular Repair and Autophagy: During fasting periods, cells undergo a process called autophagy, where they remove damaged components. This cellular repair mechanism is thought to contribute to longevity and overall health. They say that also might lead to less cancer.

Inflammation Reduction: Chronic inflammation is associated with various health issues. Fasting reduces inflammation in the body, potentially lowering the risk of inflammatory diseases.

Brain Health: Increases levels of BDNF, a protein associated with cognitive function and the formation of new neurons.

Longevity: Some animal studies suggest that intermittent fasting may extend lifespan.

Improved Blood Lipid Profiles: Reduces levels of triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, which are risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

What are the psychological effects?

Improved Mental Clarity
    : Some people report enhanced mental focus and clarity during fasting periods. This could be related to the stabilization of blood sugar levels and the production of ketones, which serve as an alternative energy source for the brain.

Enhanced Mood: Intermittent fasting may influence neurotransmitters and hormones associated with mood regulation.

Increased Discipline and Self-Control: Following a structured fasting regimen can require discipline and self-control. Over time, adhering to a fasting schedule may help individuals develop better self-discipline, which can extend to other areas of life.

Mindful Eating: Intermittent fasting encourages mindfulness about food consumption. During eating windows, individuals may become more aware of their food choices and eating behaviors, fostering a healthier relationship with food.

Reduced Stress and Anxiety: Related to the potential neuroprotective effects of fasting and changes in stress hormone levels.

Improved Sleep: The stabilization of blood sugar levels and the body's natural circadian rhythm may contribute to better sleep patterns.

Shift in Relationship with Food: It can help break habitual eating patterns and encourage a more intentional and mindful approach to eating.

Increased Awareness of Hunger and Fullness: This increased sensitivity to hunger and fullness can contribute to healthier eating habits.

Psychological Resilience:
    Successfully adhering to an intermittent fasting routine may foster a sense of accomplishment and psychological resilience. Overcoming challenges related to hunger and cravings may contribute to a feeling of mental toughness.

What are the risks? When is it not recommended?
    Intermittent fasting is generally considered safe for many people, but it may not be suitable for everyone. It's important to be aware of potential risks and situations where intermittent fasting may not be recommended. Because I am not an expert, I will not fully dig into it and I will advise anyone who wants to try it, to consider as well talkingto a doctor about it. But here are some considerations:
    Underlying Health Conditions

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

History of Eating Disorders

Medication Interactions

Nutrient Deficiency Risk

Individual Variability

How should I do intermittent fasting? Easy methods explained.
    There are several methods of intermittent fasting, each with its own approach to the timing and duration of fasting periods. Here are some common methods:

16/8 Method (Time-Restricted Eating):
    Description: This method involves daily fasting for 16 hours, followed by an 8-hour eating window.
    Example: Eat between 12:00 pm and 8:00 pm and fast from 8:00 pm to 12:00 pm the next day.
    Basically, SKIP BREAKFAST (it has this name for a reason!)

5:2 Diet:
    Description: In this method, individuals eat normally for five days of the week and significantly reduce calorie intake (around 500-600 calories) on two non-consecutive days.
    Example: Eat a regular diet from Monday to Friday and consume 500-600 calories on Tuesday and Thursday.

Eat-Stop-Eat:
    Description: This method involves a 24-hour fast once or twice a week, where individuals refrain from eating for a full 24-hour period.
    Example: Eat dinner at 7:00 pm and then refrain from eating until 7:00 pm the next day.
    This one I have done it only a couple times... I even managed to cycle 200km in one day while being fully fasted!

Alternate-Day Fasting:
    Description: Alternating between days of regular eating and days of either complete fasting or consuming very few calories.
    Example: Eat normally on Monday, fast or consume minimal calories on Tuesday, and repeat.

Warrior Diet:
    Description: This method involves eating small amounts of raw fruits and vegetables during the day and having one large meal at night within a 4-hour eating window.
    Example: Eat small, raw meals during the day and have a larger meal within a 4-hour window in the evening.
    This method is based in how humans used to feed themselves back in the day after a full day of hunting.

Spontaneous Meal Skipping:
    Description: Rather than following a structured fasting plan, individuals may occasionally skip meals when not hungry or as a response to lifestyle factors.
    Example: Skipping breakfast or dinner when not hungry or due to time constraints.

The 14/10 Method:
    Description: Similar to the 16/8 method, this approach involves a 14-hour fasting period followed by a 10-hour eating window.
    Example: Eat between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm and fast from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am the next day.

The power of Caffeine. Why do I find it so good when fasting?
    Coffee is often considered a helpful beverage during intermittent fasting for several reasons:
    1. Appetite Suppression
    2. Increased Metabolic Rate
    3. Enhanced Physical Performance
    4. Mental Alertness
    5. Antioxidant Properties
    6. Autophagy Support.

It's important to note that excessive caffeine intake can lead to adverse effects, including insomnia, jitteriness, increased heart rate, and digestive issues.
    In practical terms, a moderate amount of coffee is often considered to be around 3 to 4 cups per day for most adults. However, individual needs and tolerances can vary.

I will conclude with my personal experience with fasting: why I started, when I stopped, and why I consistently return to it.

I did a full year of intermittent fasting from 2020 to 2021 (thanks to lockdowns and such!). Afterward, I decided that the best method for me was to go through periods of fasting during my cutting months and periods of bulking when I do not fast. I chose to do this mainly to promote my gym and sports progress, aiming to build muscle while staying low in body fat.

In 2020, when I first heard of intermittent fasting, my roommates and I fully embraced it. We would fast from 7 PM to 1 PM the next day, focusing on work, study, and sports during that time.

My results were quite stunning. When I'm fasted, I feel more light and energetic. If I ever had cravings, I would drink coffee, which I believe also provided me with energy. Throughout the full year of intermittent fasting, I maintained around 12% body fat, supported by a high protein intake and lots of physical activity. Even during my eating windows, I consumed a substantial amount of calories because I needed them.

The most fulfilling feeling I got from it was the fact that I consciously chose to do something challenging. It taught me a lot about my strengths and showed me that we can achieve whatever we set our minds to. It might sound simple, but it meant a lot to me. I would then reward myself with delicious and healthy food for lunch and feel genuinely happy about it... an experience I highly recommend!

Why did I stop? The reason I stopped was that it became challenging for me to get enough calories for my gym progress. Therefore, I decided to implement periods of fasting to enjoy its benefits and periods of not fasting to focus on intense gym sessions and muscle building. Currently, I follow this approach: during autumn/winter, I focus on bulking/not fasting (eating a lot, having breakfast, and such), and when spring comes, I start my cutting phase with intermittent fasting. In the summer, I adjust my fasting based on my workout days.

I have found this to be the most effective method for me to reap the benefits of my diet and sports life. While it may not be the best option for everyone, it's worth considering, especially if you are into sports.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to infestedvirus For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (01-18-2024),Excalibur (01-15-2024),I_royalty_I (01-15-2024),♥ lint ♥ (01-15-2024),Masterplayer44 (01-15-2024),Mothman (02-08-2024),nousha (01-15-2024),phantasia (01-15-2024),Pidgey (01-15-2024),Serebii (01-18-2024),Swablu (01-15-2024),Unown (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I remember 2018/2019/2020 i did intermittent fasting. - i hated it however my gains were relentless. i gained my weight in muscle and kept my fat down pretty good. i hated my eating times because it seemed so long. but it was worth it. now i havent had the time to come back but thanks for throwing this up!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

infestedvirus (01-15-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    This is a great guide! I haven't done much IF in quite awhile but I truly enjoyed it when I did. I used to have a pretty strict low carb diet I followed and was generally a lot healthier than I am now - life man LOL. Hoping to get back to it sometime in the next few weeks and IF is something I'm definitely going to add it.

Used to eat breakfast at work around 8/8:15, then lunch around 12/1 and then skip dinner because I generally wasn't hungry. Would go for a 3-6mile run after work and I found I wasn't particularly hungry and had endless energy. I'm not too sure why it works but it does. It's just getting back into the routine which is hard but it does make you feel fantastci!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

6. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I remember 2018/2019/2020 i did intermittent fasting. - i hated it however my gains were relentless. i gained my weight in muscle and kept my fat down pretty good. i hated my eating times because it seemed so long. but it was worth it. now i havent had the time to come back but thanks for throwing this up!
    Yes! I figured I could really share this kind of thing as it is my passion. For me, fasting works best during certain periods. Sometimes I really have to eat and put a lot of calories inside .
    Would be nice if I can also show this lifestyle around and make some people get into it.
    For me once you get used to it, waiting times arent that bad . But takes a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    This is a great guide! I haven't done much IF in quite awhile but I truly enjoyed it when I did. I used to have a pretty strict low carb diet I followed and was generally a lot healthier than I am now - life man LOL. Hoping to get back to it sometime in the next few weeks and IF is something I'm definitely going to add it.

Used to eat breakfast at work around 8/8:15, then lunch around 12/1 and then skip dinner because I generally wasn't hungry. Would go for a 3-6mile run after work and I found I wasn't particularly hungry and had endless energy. I'm not too sure why it works but it does. It's just getting back into the routine which is hard but it does make you feel fantastci!
    Ohhh, for me, dinner is a MUST. But since we are all different, everyone needs to work around it.... It would be so nice to hear soon that you are back on the healthier path! Whether with fasting or without, it's always nice to be conscious... Keep us posted . I will be soon also, when spring comes, get fully into it. I wanna see my gains, as I was bulking and working out a lot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to infestedvirus For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-15-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by infestedvirus View Post
    Ohhh, for me, dinner is a MUST. But since we are all different, everyone needs to work around it.... It would be so nice to hear soon that you are back on the healthier path! Whether with fasting or without, it's always nice to be conscious... Keep us posted . I will be soon also, when spring comes, get fully into it. I wanna see my gains, as I was bulking and working out a lot.
    Originally I had been skipping breakfast and doing lunch + dinner only - but breakfast is my favorite and when I was in office I switched up up so I could hang out with coworkers during breakfast. I've pretty much stuck to two meals a day just not in as healthy of a way lately. I've got some events coming up where attempting to align my health and fitness goals will be tricky but come early/mid february I'm planning to get back on track with it!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-15-2024),infestedvirus (01-15-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Interesting guide! For me, I naturally fell into it where I only ate, or cared to eat, during my work hours. I worked a full time office job so 8hrs daily and I would go to the gym before and after work. In the morning, I worked out fasted because I don't feel comfortable with food in me when exercising (I burp a lot lol). After work, working out took enough time that by the time I got home, I just wanted to get ready to go to sleep. I think IF is a good way to help someone train their eating habits to do less "mindless" eating. It's been years since I did IF, but my habit has been established to not eat X hours before bed because I just feel better sleeping and don't wake up ravenously hungry lol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-15-2024),infestedvirus (01-15-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Originally I had been skipping breakfast and doing lunch + dinner only - but breakfast is my favorite and when I was in office I switched up up so I could hang out with coworkers during breakfast. I've pretty much stuck to two meals a day just not in as healthy of a way lately. I've got some events coming up where attempting to align my health and fitness goals will be tricky but come early/mid february I'm planning to get back on track with it!
    h, I understand. Well, if it works, then it's fine ... I'm happy to read this, even though we don't know each other. It's always nice to see that people care about such things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Interesting guide! For me, I naturally fell into it where I only ate, or cared to eat, during my work hours. I worked a full time office job so 8hrs daily and I would go to the gym before and after work. In the morning, I worked out fasted because I don't feel comfortable with food in me when exercising (I burp a lot lol). After work, working out took enough time that by the time I got home, I just wanted to get ready to go to sleep. I think IF is a good way to help someone train their eating habits to do less "mindless" eating. It's been years since I did IF, but my habit has been established to not eat X hours before bed because I just feel better sleeping and don't wake up ravenously hungry lol.
    Nice to see so many people into the topic... Thank you for sharing! Somehow I always saw people in the NeoBoards as not into this kind of things but now I see how wrong I was.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infestedvirus For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (01-15-2024),♥ lint ♥ (01-15-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Can I just say two things - scientific research does not prove any difference in terms of weight loss between intermittent fasting and same calories intake regardless of time and frequency of eating (at the same time, IF is beneficial for those who struggle with eating discipline).
    Autophagy is not proven in humans. Numerous research are conducted and so far they fail to detect it in human cells. That does NOT mean it doesn't exist in human cells, but that it's not observed. I believe health topics must be approached with uttermost attention.

And another thing - if one's experiencing insulin resistance, IF is counterindicated.

Ahh, and yet another thing Women should approach IF differently than men (women's hormones levels vary during the month, men's generally stay the same and that is key). There's a book, "Fast like a girl", that can be beneficial for those interested.

That being said, I've tried it and because I know that I lack discipline regarding eating (I miserably fail diets), it was somewhat beneficial for me. Great topic, @(you need an account to see links)!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nousha For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by nousha View Post
    Can I just say two things - scientific research does not prove any difference in terms of weight loss between intermittent fasting and same calories intake regardless of time and frequency of eating (at the same time, IF is beneficial for those who struggle with eating discipline).
    Autophagy is not proven in humans. Numerous research are conducted and so far they fail to detect it in human cells. That does NOT mean it doesn't exist in human cells, but that it's not observed. I believe health topics must be approached with uttermost attention.

And another thing - if one's experiencing insulin resistance, IF is counterindicated.

Ahh, and yet another thing Women should approach IF differently than men (women's hormones levels vary during the month, men's generally stay the same and that is key). There's a book, "Fast like a girl", that can be beneficial for those interested.

That being said, I've tried it and because I know that I lack discipline regarding eating (I miserably fail diets), it was somewhat beneficial for me. Great topic, @(you need an account to see links)!
    Good to bring. Exactly. At the end of the day all that matters is calorie intake when it comes to weight loss. Either you are in deficit or in surplus. IF in most of the people will end up in less calorie consumption, but it leads to weight loss because of the restrictions during the intake.

As autophagy, I cannot know this myself but I'd like to believe it does.

As for women, I can imagine it is different indeed. Everyone should find their own way, and if possible, always talk to their doctor first.
    Under the risk section I had listed some stuff to look out for, but there are definitely more.

For this reason, I will not say IF is the best and only way to diet, but I believe that from time to time and by switching your ways, it can be helpful. Even myself I don't do it through the whole year 😸.

I like your answer as it brings concerns we should still always look at.

Ps. You say you fail at diets, but perhaps it's not about having a strict one but just about being relaxed about it and try to be as healthy as possible? I mean, whatever we do, we shall not do it in an obsessed or super restrictive way I feel.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to infestedvirus For This Useful Post:

nousha (01-18-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by infestedvirus View Post
    Ps. You say you fail at diets, but perhaps it's not about having a strict one but just about being relaxed about it and try to be as healthy as possible? I mean, whatever we do, we shall not do it in an obsessed or super restrictive way I feel.
    Exactly, you're completely right.

(My issue with diets is the mindset, you know, when you know you shouldn't eat something, your mind is always there IF helps in this respect.)