Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys feel about Evangelion?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

How do you guys feel about Evangelion?

I've been watching NGE because y'know, everyone and their mother says it's one of the greatest anime. But I'm not sure if I fully get what makes it stand out above the rest. The emotional themes are strong, but there are some characters I just can't get attached to, like Misato. And obviously the treatment of some of the underage characters is a bit... icky, but it is anime, after all. It happens a lot.

I'm not the whole way through, I think the last episode I watched was... either episode 19 or 20. Maybe I've tuned out and missed some things (my attention span when it comes to TV shows isn't always great), so could people explain why they like it and what I may not be understanding about the plot up until this point?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caviar For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (01-03-2024),Slowpoke (01-03-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I really haven't watched Evangelion in one go for a long time, I should do it again. The last time was certainly 20 years ago. Excluding the remakes, of course.
    I think it's also just a kind of nostalgia.
    Evangelion was my very first adult anime, I hadn't seen anything like it before. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, the selection of anime that was subtitled was much smaller.
    I remember I had to buy the VHS, they weren't available to rent, and there were 3-4 episodes on a VHS for 50$, it was an expensive hobby back then.
    I suppose if I saw it for the first time today, its status would be different.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneasel For This Useful Post:

caviar (01-03-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m
    I tried and failed to get into it because I heard the same, friends were aghast I hadn't seen it because it's amazing. I made it through maybe five episodes before wandering off, forgetting I was trying to watch it, and never starting it again. It just never managed to hook me.

I don't like being negative about things other people really enjoy (my opinion is just that, an opinion) but I'd definitely also be interested to hear what any cK NGE stans think.

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

caviar (01-03-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    13d 17h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    I think it survives on nostalgia but it's a good anime to watch for the first time as it goes from gundam go brrrr to eldricht horror in about 10 eps and that's pretty cool.
    If you want things to make sense tho maybe you could watch the remake movies, I think there's 4 in total. Story changes a bit but at least things make a bit more sense!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juliamps For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-03-2024),caviar (01-03-2024)

Pronouns
    he/xe
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    19h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    i watched it around 5 or 6 years ago and im still confused about the ending lmao

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    18d 13h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Like others I watched it 10+ years ago... However I disliked it. Especially the ending or the mess of ending episodes. Maybe I didn't get it or something but it was just messed up and seemed like lazy writing to close out the story.

Not all animes fit for everyone, don't feel bad if it doesn't hit for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to billytiddles For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-03-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    I tried and failed to get into it because I heard the same, friends were aghast I hadn't seen it because it's amazing. I made it through maybe five episodes before wandering off, forgetting I was trying to watch it, and never starting it again. It just never managed to hook me.

I don't like being negative about things other people really enjoy (my opinion is just that, an opinion) but I'd definitely also be interested to hear what any cK NGE stans think.
    Yeah, I was sorta hoping for someone who loves it to defend it so maybe I can get it better haha.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I...thought it was kinda forgettable. I couldn't tell you what asuka did if you asked me today.
    My friend was REALLY into it. He said all the characters were so deep and that he cried when the boy(Shinji?) had an existential meltdown at the swing-set scene. But i honestly didn't feel any huge metaphors or allegories to life in this anime. I also thought Lilith was kinda absurd looking and.... yeah this anime was an example of something that is just TOO Japanese if you know what i mean
    Last edited by Baklava; 01-03-2024 at 10:55 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Baklava For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-03-2024)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    My husband is a fan, I asked him what he likes about it and his answer was "Mechs Cool"

i've watched it and enjoyed it but i get real creeped out by how the kids are treated. I know it's part of the show on purpose but it skeeves me out lol.

I like the monsters & mechs, visually I think it's amazing and the basic plot is enjoyable I think it's really popular because it's old and was one of the outstanding shows in that era

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

Alister (01-03-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m
    I haven't watched enough of it to know how the kids get treated in a creep manner but I am immediately reminded of

(you need an account to see links)

I had a time watching Darling in the Franxx (only mech anime I've seen in full) because of this lol

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers