Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning / tidying up motivation tips?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    13d 12h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 49m
    When I need to get something done that I don't want to do (eg dishes, going out to buy groceries, etc), I tend to put on music. I find that it helps distract my mind from the "I don't want to do this" train of thought and redirects it to "woohoo I love this song".

Kickass music with a pumping beat tends to help the most cos it gets me pumped and ready to rock. So maybe that could help.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Junellie For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-26-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),♥ pillowfighter ♥ (02-14-2024),woowers (01-05-2024)

Pronouns
    bur/den
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    31 times
    Time Online
    6d 2h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I've been putting off my laundry for weeks now
    It's all piled up waiting to be folded lol
    I've gotten through most of it today
    And now I'm taking a quick break before I get back into it

What's helped me get through it is I had 2 red bulls
    I'm also blaring music
    I have to remind myself it'll feel good once it's finally all done

Getting the motivation is definitely a struggle
    Once you get into a groove it'll feel easier 😂

both userbar avatars made by @Infected 💗

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    It can def be a struggle. It sounds weird but I watch videos of people with nice rooms/places. My favourite is this lady from Japan named Rhea Y. Her channel is sooo relaxing and she has such a clean, cozy little home! It totally motivates me to get my shit together when I'm in a rut.

I also find listening to calming music helps me, or an interesting podcast. It lets me daydream and still have fun while doing a not so fun task.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    16h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I find starting the hardest, so I like to break it down into steps. Like I'll tell myself, "ok, I only have to unload the top rack of the dishwasher, then I can take a break"

Nine times out of ten I unload the entire dishwasher, wash all the hand-washed dishes, and clean the stove before I even realise it.

I also like to watch those youtube videos of people cleaning hoarder houses. I used to live with a hoarder so it's exactly the kick I need to tackle heavier projects than daily maintenance.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to X_here4thedrama_X For This Useful Post:

♥ Munna ♥ (02-25-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    214 times
    Time Online
    31d 2h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Fellow ADHDer here. I love the idea of the timer for sure. I find it’s helpful to pair tasks, like if you have dinner in the oven for 20 minutes, set a 15 minute timer and just get done as much as you can. I find riding the momentum of other tasks really helps, so don’t pick up your phone/sit down in between getting things done or you might get stuck in a scroll loop.

I know this one is harder said than done, but if you can make it more “fun” that really does help even if it sounds silly. A common symptom is demand avoidance, so if you HAVE to do something, you’re going to be fighting against your brain to do it.
    (you need an account to see links)

Want a spiffy userbar? Request one
    on my thread. ^

I will continue adding free-to-use
    userbars & Pokemon Ryugotchis!

& thank you @dankRUSE for this
    amazing drawing! ;-;

(you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    another ADHDer here!!

It makes me feel like a little kid, but I often have to think of a "reward" for myself to do things: getting to play a game, having a gummi, etc. I also often forget stuff so I have a hobonichi planner and I use highlighters/washi tape/etc to make it cute and fun and write down what I need to do each day, week, and month! I can still get messy and forgetful but I end up motivating myself with stuff like "Don't let past me be a dick to future me" (sorry for being blunt but LOL) and it helps me do things like my laundry, clean the bathroom, etc... Another thing I try to remember is that it's easier to maintain a tidy space than it is to have to deep clean and organize a really messy space, which means less time I have to spend in the future doing crap I hate xD

You got this friend!!

amazing stack by the talented (you need an account to see links)!
    <3 adorable wonderful art by my friend Elle <3

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I've learned that making lists and checking things off gives me some weird sense of accomplishment so it makes me want to continue doing more and more. Dopamine is a weird thing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Swablu For This Useful Post:

chiquitabanane (02-25-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    6d 5h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Here are some things that I do for upkeep and to stay ahead:

• I spend like 15-20 minutes cleaning every day and that helps tremendously with tidying up without making it feel like too much of a chore.
    • After cooking and while I'm waiting on food to finish or while my food is cooling, I'll go ahead and wash the dishes used to cook. Then, it'll only take me a few minutes to clean my plate/bowl/utensils/glass afterwards and I no longer have to worry about it.
    • I'll do a deep clean every Friday NIGHT after work. I do it directly after work because I'm still in "work mode" and I feel I am less likely to do it on Saturday or Sunday as I get lazy lol. It also lets me rest for two days instead of doing a bit here and there over my days off. I've also found that I sleep much better with a clean house.
    • If I'm upstairs for most of the day gaming or doing some crafts, I'll make sure every time I go downstairs I take at least one thing down that doesn't need to be up there and put it in its proper place. It helps with the upstairs clutter. This works for any room, but my upstairs gaming room is what gets cluttered most, personally.
    • Also, as someone with ADHD...I constantly have to remind myself to NOT PUT IT DOWN, PUT IT AWAY. So, instead of putting something on the counter when I'm done, like seasonings when I'm cooking, I'll put it back in the cabinet.
    • If I'm truly in one of those...mid-month crisises where my house is just getting icky, I will actually plan to invite people over the next weekend. It forces me to deep clean and reset ;D
    Last edited by Rook; 03-02-2024 at 02:53 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    33m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Cleaning up isn't exactly a thrill ride, but fear not! Set mini-goals, crank the tunes, and race against grime with timed bursts of effort. Treat yourself along the way - you've earned it! Enlist your buddies for moral support; after all, cleaning's more fun with friends. Declutter like a champ and remember, a tidy space is your sanity's best friend. So grab your trusty spray and wage war on dust bunnies with a grin - because cleanliness is next to... well, you know!