Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Should evolution be taught in schools?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    A highschool should have a class that studies evolution.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I believe that the evidence for and against evolution should be given to the students and that the decision what to make of it should be left up to the students themselves.

Of course it is much more important to teach students critical thinking first, though, so they can make sense of the information

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    26 times
    Time Online
    1d 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The thing people need to understand is this. Evolution is accepted by virtually every scientist in the world. No one who has any knowledge of biology believes in creationism.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    For all those saying that students should have the choice, all I'm saying is realistically, that isn't the correct way. First off, there are countless other theories, and it leaves room for others to say why not this, why not that BLAH BLAH

The only viable thought to me is to teach evolution. Its the most widely accepted theory, and until a better one appears that is more widely accepted, let's just stick to what science says. Science is all encompassing, and the only way forward is through education. Enough of this whimsical "I want to learn this, why not that...." bullshit. Let's stick to one thing, and let's make it the best possible. Also, as for leaving it up to the students, whats a freshman in high school going to care? Or for that matter, know? It's unreasonable to ask those kinds of requests on kids when the adults can't even decide for themselves.

Besides, when did creationism suddenly become fact. As far as I'm concerned, the bible is at best an extended metaphor. I am not one of those people who thinks the bible is the spawn of all evil (The bible didn't cause the crusades, stupid people hungry for power caused the crusades). I actually enjoy the bible and although I am not devoutly religious I enjoy the bible as a literary tool and as a story, as there are some moral aspects that are highly beneficial to a developing intelligence. But for anyone to believe the bible is 'word-for-word' fact is a dimwit. Just like any religion, prove it. I'm not obligated to have faith in anything without proof. The senseless following of faith is to turn away reason, and to scorn reason is treason to ones self. That's how stupid people commit stupid acts; the bible or any religious aspect isn't at fault, the people who so reverently follow it are for being no more than chattel, unthinking and only following. Therefore, religion needs to stay out of schools. Take this from someone who likes the bible; It still needs to be kept out of the classroom.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank12 For This Useful Post:

John (08-26-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Evolution as a course on its own is a little overdoing it but it should be included in biology courses as it is one of the pillars of modern biology. There is no real evidence against evolution. Non-evolutionary Christians that have IQ > 100 would agree that evolution is theoretically sound but requires more time than we've had (doesn't have to believe in young Earth). Almost all scientists agree that we have had enough time.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Yes. Why not? It could be just for laughs. It could be all serious

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I believe both Evolution and Creationism should be taught in schools, as two separate view points that allow the student to choose. Of course, such a topic should be brought without any bias to influence students.

As a scientist, I believe each person should receive all the information and carefully examine it before reaching a conclusion. To come to a conclusion before the evidence is examined would be an insult to the minds that we evolved into, whether through Creation or through a series of coincidences.

As an atheist in a religious community, I was forced to rethink my entire life and find my own answer. Through that experience, I can say that I am now a better person. People should learn to seek answers on their own rather than take them prechewed from others.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Evolution are taught in school in the science class. That is why Charles Darwin is known to the most of us. But concentrating on it and creating another subject for it is just plainly idiotic, we go to school to learn something and gain knowledge. It is not good to deprive the people of this knowledge about evolution. We should learn it like who is the first president of the USA and leave it at that. This is called the freedom of knowledge, there is nothing anti-God about this.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    260 times
    Time Online
    51d 17h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    If students have to say the pledge and have "moments of silence"(for prayer) then why shouldn't they be taught Evolution? My school had a bible study when I went to high school though it didn't offer an evolution study.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    if you want someone to be educated, you need to give them more than one side of the story. otherwise, they're ignorant.
    they should be taught both the scientific theory + religious theory so that they can come up with their own conclusion.