34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

Cover Letter Help

I need help writing cover letters. Honestly we go through so many years of school and nothing of this sort is actually taught to us so I am lost lol.

I will be applying to career positions involving research laboratories at the University here. The problem I have in the cover letter is the small things, the format. I know you must start a cover letter with the date, then below that their contact information in order to make it a formal format. Now this prof in the job I am applying for has his PhD of course so in the initial contact information do I write Mr? Dr? just his name and no Mr. or Dr? Such as:

Mr or Dr. ______
    Professor & Canadian Research Chair
    University Name
    University Address
    professor's email

Should I include their department (aka field of study) or just leave it as the University address? If I include the department he is in do I then write below that his room in that specific building then the University information of address? such as this:

Mr or Dr. ________
    Professor & Canadian Research Chair
    Department at university
    Building room in the department
    University name
    University Address
    professor's email

Then when I go to write the actual letter do I start with an opening of Dear Dr. _______ or Dear Mr. ______ or Dear _(insert his name)?

I am really at a loss here and I need some help.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    386 times
    Time Online
    1d 18h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This is what I use; it seems to be up to date (2012 version) and provides examples at the bottom:

(you need an account to see links)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Sci_Girl (04-27-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I would definitely use Dr. and NOT Mr. at all. Just Dr. ______. Personally, I also would not use the greeting "dear" as it is a little too personal. I would just start off the letter as such:

Dr. _____,

I would not include the department or building/room number. I think specifying him as the Professor & Canadian Research Chair will suffice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakz For This Useful Post:

Sci_Girl (04-27-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Thank you Demo and Sneakz

Anyone have opinions on how to write the body of the letter as a new grad? I do not have a list of experience because everything has been my studies, no undergrad research grants for work experience, no field work. Just my studies, so I am like many new grads...clueless and without experience lol. How do you convey to a company that you have a strong interest in working with them in their research if you do not have a long list of experience to jump start you?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Maybe express particular topics within your field that interest you or areas that you would like to gain experience, your short and long term career and research goals, what you hope to accomplish in working with them, and why you are a good candidate. Try to convey that you are innovative and unique, while still being professional and logical.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneakz For This Useful Post:

Sci_Girl (04-28-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    36/0
    Mentioned
    67 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Put Dr. ____ A cover letter is as much about telling them about you as it is sucking up to them.
    Also you will only need to put the address of his Uni and his name they have people to sort mail for them