Thread: Getting My thoughts in order about a hostel lecturer.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m

Getting My thoughts in order about a hostel lecturer.

Ok sorry this will be a really long post.

So basically. Let me start by posting the assignment.

OK so firstly I wrote an email asking about the poster size and format.... although her response is ignorant of basic graphic design. That part is not really bothering me. The poster is not my main concern.

Here is my question 1 and 2

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (01-07-2024),Synth Salazzle (09-27-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    So for quesrtion 1 I got 15/25 (answer not exhaustive) and question 2 I got 7/25! Yes 7 WTF (commented. Slide 27)
    So here is what is on slide 7

Like OMW I covered all of that!

I was not the only on in my class that was not happy so we sent I group letter

and her reply

She is clearly bulling me! Directy
    Thank you for allowing me to put this out there.

If someone actually feel like reading everything. Thank you. I would love to have an opinion
    I did not answer her back data all.

Maybe I am over reacting. SHe posted a general letter on BB....
    Let me post it here too

I already have a NQF8 degree. I am getting 75+ in all of my other courses.
    Last edited by phantasia; 09-28-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 20h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I'm really sorry you're going through this, some professors can really ruin a course with their inability to communicate.
    In my opinion, I believe you answered the questions and I'm not sure how the professor came up with such a low mark.

Was there a rubric for the grading scheme or an example of the assignment they gave you?

I think your email to the professor was very polite and outlined all the concerns.
    Her email back seems to be trying to justify the low grades based on other student's work, especially the note about directly plagiarizing. In reference to what was on the slides, I think from the video you posted you encompassed exactly what she was looking for.

In my personal opinion, there's maybe two things happening here. The first is that maybe the students missed some important information that was present in other slides that she specifically wanted included and it seems like some students may not have put any effort into even trying (based on the plagiarism comment).
    The more likely scenario is that she is just not a good professor, or didn't do a good job at communicating what she wanted.
    If you have THAT many students doing badly (even the one student who did "well" with a 70) then she needs to rethink her approach.

I think your best bet is to do the 1:1 with her, review the rubric, and then be prepared to defend your answers.
    It sounds like she was loosely threatning people with a lower mark if they did the 1:1 because she would "show them what they really earned", but try not to let her scare you into a lower mark just because you have questions about how she graded the assignment.

I don't think she is bullying you directly, but I do think she could have addressed the issues with a little less bluntness.

All in all, I don't think you did a bad job - I think she just miscommunicated what she was looking for and now she's blaming it on the students.
    If you absolutely need this class, then definitly sit in on the 1:1 and take her feedback so you know for the next assignment what she is looking for (even if it's complete bullshit).

Good luck with your studies <3

------------------------------
    John Cena Cat

Buff cena cat by @honeycomb