Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best pet that isn't a cat or dog?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I am super baised because I had the pleasure to know the most amazing bunny for 13 years. So social, so kind. So I'd say a bunny. A lot of work. But you can have run outside the cage all day if trained.

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hellraid For This Useful Post:

gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023),ratanius (09-20-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    17d 22h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    31m
    I think all of the animals listed are an azing pets! I do have to say, though, smaller animals can sometimes be just as much if not more high maintenance than cats or dogs. Guinea pigs are amazing but you want to have a very large enclosure for them and their food and the bedding is not cheap and needs to be changed out so often. Not to mention you want to get fresh veggies for any small furry friends.

I think rats are very perfect little buddies! Like Guinea pigs, they’re better together so you might want to look into creating that little rattopia!
    I have not personally owned a rat but everyone I know who has, has loved them so so much.

I hope you find the perfect friend soon!

pancake the ryu

thank you honeycomb for the pancake doodle and hearts for the sleepy pumpkin!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pillowfighter For This Useful Post:

gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 20h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by hellraid View Post
    I am super baised because I had the pleasure to know the most amazing bunny for 13 years. So social, so kind. So I'd say a bunny. A lot of work. But you can have run outside the cage all day if trained.
    i have to agree!
    not only are they very fluffy and sweet, but you'll always have someone to keep you company. of course, being social also means that you possibly should look into them getting them a friend, as long as they tolerate them! (nothings worse than owning two pets that hate each others guts and will injure one another, i swear).

generally speaking, if you do like smaller critters, rats are also an option that come in a variety of sizes and are good natured f(r)iends. suffice to say, i personally think they're less stubborn than bunnies in some ways, but they also can have a temperament of their own. it generally depends on how used to humans they are and how docile their parents were, in a lot of cases, but there's some outliers there. give them a designated area for their "mess" and you (probably) also don't have too worry about finding brown sprinkles all over the spare bedroom, though, i generally would suggest not letting them out of a cage unsupervised, as they can be silly little guys and crave your attention a bit too much. again, if you don't have that much time for them, i'd get them a companion and lots of enrichment so they can keep themselves busy; otherwise they might start to "revolt" out of boredom tbh!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ratanius For This Useful Post:

gobblegum (12-24-2023),hellraid (09-20-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    85d 10h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    For those who have owned rabbits, are they smelly? I've heard everything ranging from "my sister thinks her rabbit doesn't stink but it totally does" to "it makes your place smell strongly of hay" to "can't smell them at all".

I also really want to have a pet, but I don't have the time/commitment for a dog, and I don't really like cats, which would be the lowest maintenance for sure...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    247d 22h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 24m
    I'd recommend maybe a fish? I loved mine, he was a little unexpected moment of happiness when he would recognize me and come to my hand! It also helps me as a depressive person to take care of something and create a rutine around it.

Otherwise I'd say you should just go for rattopia, this comment is totally biased by all the videos I've seen of them and my own wishes of owning one, one day

Userbar by ♥ Infected ♥ - Watercolor clefairy by ♥ Wooloo ♥ - Wink cle/avatar art by ♥ DankRUSE ♥ - Pumpkin cle by ♥ hearts ♥

Icon by ♥ mothman ♥ / ♥ sugarbee (heart cle) ♥

Zenitsu has best cookiez

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clefairy For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m
    I'm a big fan of lizards. Of any I've had, the leopard geckoes were the prettiest but the mali uromastyx was the sweetheart of the bunch, I used to take mine out of their tank and let them hang out with me a lot. Super docile. Plus being more of an herbivore meant it was easier to feed since we could just share groceries instead of me having to keep a supply of live insects.

I absolutely LOVE fish as pets and like Clefairy said, it's delightful when they learn to recognize you. My betta begged for treats worse than my dogs. Only caution there, an aquarium can be expensive and high maintenance in that monitoring water conditions and completing weekly water changes is critical to keep the tank healthy. Good if you like routines, bad if you don't want a standing messy chore every week.

I haven't had one myself but I am dying to get a paludarium for a vampire crab (think half aquarium, half terrarium - crabs need a mix of land and water for their home). Just look at this little guy. They're SO CUTE. And they're hilarious at feeding time, I love watching my local fish store try to feed theirs. The crabs will latch onto the tweezers when food is offered and just hold the employees hostage.

(you need an account to see links)

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alister For This Useful Post:

Clefairy (09-21-2023),Erik. (09-20-2023),Fiore (09-22-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023),kittyray (09-20-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    95d 19h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister View Post
    I'm a big fan of lizards. Of any I've had, the leopard geckoes were the prettiest but the mali uromastyx was the sweetheart of the bunch, I used to take mine out of their tank and let them hang out with me a lot. Super docile. Plus being more of an herbivore meant it was easier to feed since we could just share groceries instead of me having to keep a supply of live insects.

I absolutely LOVE fish as pets and like Clefairy said, it's delightful when they learn to recognize you. My betta begged for treats worse than my dogs. Only caution there, an aquarium can be expensive and high maintenance in that monitoring water conditions and completing weekly water changes is critical to keep the tank healthy. Good if you like routines, bad if you don't want a standing messy chore every week.

I haven't had one myself but I am dying to get a paludarium for a vampire crab (think half aquarium, half terrarium - crabs need a mix of land and water for their home). Just look at this little guy. They're SO CUTE. And they're hilarious at feeding time, I love watching my local fish store try to feed theirs. The crabs will latch onto the tweezers when food is offered and just hold the employees hostage.

(you need an account to see links)
    TIL Paludariums are a thing. Absolutely awesome. I've been wanting a riparium for years but paludariums honestly look even cooler. And I didn't know you could house crabs in them, that's a rad idea.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Alister (09-20-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    33d 13h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 39m
    i have had several different pets throughout my life and rats were probably my favourite!
    they are a lot of fun and you might be inclined to have a rattopia, but i say embrace it

they are such smart little guys and i had managed to train my one i had tricks and he was easy to litter train c:
    made cleaning his habitat a lot easier

i am also a huge fan of birds but they are a big commitment, no matter the type of bird you own
    one day i would love to own a pigeon, much quieter than the cockatiels i used to have. but cockatiels are such a fun pet!
    just.. very messy critters. and loud lol
    Custom userbar & rat Ryu by Lyrichord

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I had two rats and they were wonderful social intelligent little -beepbeep-s. Seriously wonderful pets, though make sure you get plenty of enrichment for them.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNK For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My favorite pet hands down that wasn't a cat or dog had to of been a lovebird! They are so adorable and super affectionate when they get close to you.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post: