Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best pet that isn't a cat or dog?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    11d 8h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Rabbits are somewhat cat-like if you're allergic, just more expensive.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aymo For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023),Evelynn (12-25-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023),rio (12-23-2023),Serebii (12-23-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 3h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by aymo View Post
    Rabbits are somewhat cat-like if you're allergic, just more expensive.
    My cousins rabbit always behaved rather dog like, but either way they're cute and cuddly

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rio For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (12-23-2023),Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023),Evelynn (12-25-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023),Serebii (12-23-2023)

Pronouns
    🍃⏳
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    106 times
    Time Online
    24d 8h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I am in the camp of shrimp making great pets. They're pretty hysterical when they show off their personalities and are a lot easier/less finicky to care for than most fish. Also don't require as much space either.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Serebii For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (12-23-2023),Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023),Evelynn (12-25-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023),♥ hugosasso ♥ (12-23-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023),xmilo (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    ✿💿✿
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    9d 23h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I always wanted an axolotl, but I've had huskies all my life and now... I could have the aquarium om the bathroom and my husky will manage to get his houdini-ass in there. For a first timer & with the right aquarium setup, they seem like they would be fairly low maintenence (and super cute).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gobblegum For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    710 times
    Time Online
    83d 19h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by gobblegum View Post
    I always wanted an axolotl, but I've had huskies all my life and now... I could have the aquarium om the bathroom and my husky will manage to get his houdini-ass in there. For a first timer & with the right aquarium setup, they seem like they would be fairly low maintenence (and super cute).
    I have heard the opposite - that they can be very tricky with care and maintenance required. Not for beginners!

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Evelynn (12-25-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    175 times
    Time Online
    244d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 18m
    are you located in a fairly cold country with colder summers, 55-65F (12-18degree c)? if not, you would have to invest in a good chiller-filter setup!

axolotls are cute but illegal in my country though..

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmilo For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),Evelynn (12-25-2023),gobblegum (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    ✿💿✿
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    9d 23h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    I have heard the opposite - that they can be very tricky with care and maintenance required. Not for beginners!
    Sure, they require special conditions, but so do fish, dragons & such. The hardest part would be the initial setup, cycling, and environtment maintenence. The infant stage would be tedious as it would for any pet, but when they're older, you're feeding them every other day. It may not be for everyone, but with plenty of research and resources (like any other pet), it could be very easy for the next person. I loved babysitting my previous ER Vet's axolotl more than their chihuaha and dragon lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xmilo View Post
    are you located in a fairly cold country with colder summers, 55-65F (12-18degree c)? if not, you would have to invest in a good chiller-filter setup!

axolotls are cute but illegal in my country though..
    Aww, yeah they are [understandably] illegal in some states here in the US as well. In my state, the summers can get hot and the winters are usually cold. But that's why you always research any pet you're interested in before adopting. People I know who own fish have setups that are complicated vs the axolotls I've seen. No matter what you adopt, you're should be factoring in your envitonment & laws. Like, fish (esp Koi fish) and small dogs are not for me. I might not own a cat again after my current baby.

They may not a great beginner pet for person A, but they can very well be for Person B. It's okay that it didn't work out for Person A, but that shouldn't discourage Person B. It all comes down to taking the time educate yourself, not rush into adopting ANY pet, and making sure you have the resources (Allergies? We're good. Do I have the funds for routine vet care, ER visits, cost of food, equipment, can I afford another life with my time and money).

And please, no Christmas pets. Seeing them in a shelter I volunteer at breaks my heart every year.
    Last edited by gobblegum; 12-24-2023 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added quote

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gobblegum For This Useful Post:

Evelynn (12-25-2023),xmilo (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    175 times
    Time Online
    244d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 18m
    Sure, they require special conditions, but so do fish, dragons & such. The hardest part would be the initial setup, cycling, and environtment maintenence. The infant stage would be tedious as it would for any pet, but when they're older, you're feeding them every other day. It may not be for everyone, but with plenty of research and resources (like any other pet), it could be very easy for the next person. I loved babysitting my previous ER Vet's axolotl more than their chihuaha and dragon lol.

Aww, yeah they are [understandably] illegal in some states here in the US as well. In my state, the summers can get hot and the winters are usually cold. But that's why you always research any pet you're interested in before adopting. People I know who own fish have setups that are complicated vs the axolotls I've seen. No matter what you adopt, you're should be factoring in your envitonment & laws. Like, fish (esp Koi fish) and small dogs are not for me. I might not own a cat again after my current baby.

They may not a great beginner pet for person A, but they can very well be for Person B. It's okay that it didn't work out for Person A, but that shouldn't discourage Person B. It all comes down to taking the time educate yourself, not rush into adopting ANY pet, and making sure you have the resources (Allergies? We're good. Do I have the funds for routine vet care, ER visits, cost of food, equipment, can I afford another life with my time and money).

And please, no Christmas pets. Seeing them in a shelter I volunteer at breaks my heart every year.
    sounds like you're working at a vet/pet hospital! im sure the axolotls are in great hands if you've decided to go for it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xmilo For This Useful Post:

Evelynn (12-25-2023)