DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    37d 1h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    God, what a fun and interesting read. I actually have a few questions about this that I hope you don't mind answering for me if that's okay!

1. Do you do this purely as a sport/workout or is there another element to this? (Like, are you one of those hired mermaids who performs at events and whatnot for children.)
    2. Sort of relating to the above question, but do you dress yourself up as a mermaid for this? Like do you put on waterproof makeup, wear a complimentary top with it, etc?
    3. Do you wear goggles during this? I've watched some videos of professional mermaids online who do not wear goggles since it kind of ruins the magic with it, and they've said they get eye irritation and stuff. If you don't wear goggles, is the eye irritation a problem for you? How do you combat it?
    4. What's your favourite fin you've had manufactured?

I would love to look into doing this sort of thing one day once I build stamina up. I find the concept so whimsical and fun ;u; Thank you again for sharing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Evelynn For This Useful Post:

Lilac Tentacles (07-21-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelynn View Post
    God, what a fun and interesting read. I actually have a few questions about this that I hope you don't mind answering for me if that's okay!

1. Do you do this purely as a sport/workout or is there another element to this? (Like, are you one of those hired mermaids who performs at events and whatnot for children.)
    2. Sort of relating to the above question, but do you dress yourself up as a mermaid for this? Like do you put on waterproof makeup, wear a complimentary top with it, etc?
    3. Do you wear goggles during this? I've watched some videos of professional mermaids online who do not wear goggles since it kind of ruins the magic with it, and they've said they get eye irritation and stuff. If you don't wear goggles, is the eye irritation a problem for you? How do you combat it?
    4. What's your favourite fin you've had manufactured?

I would love to look into doing this sort of thing one day once I build stamina up. I find the concept so whimsical and fun ;u; Thank you again for sharing.
    Good morning!
    Sorry for the delayed response. I was actually out doing a mermaid shoot all day yesterday. Tee hee...

1. I do this for both reasons. I love swimming, my knees and hips are jacked from 14 years in the military, as well as tiny-child bearing, so running, squatting, basically anything that isn't zero gravity hurts my entire soul. I'm going to a chiropractor and sports therapist to help, but for now swimming is hella low-impact (so even if you aren't into mermaids 10/10 recommend swimming as a workout. Feels good.). I also do this as an event performer. I have done a couple of concerts as a character prop, I've done an Under The Sea wedding as their cocktail hour entertainment, and I've done a few parties for kiddos. I'm working on a few random events where I currently live to draw in children for Cub Scout signups at their recruitment booth this year. (yes, i realize how creepy that sounds. Lol)

2. I don't do pool parties often because of liability issues. My insurance is cheaper if I stay on land, and I can charge less. I also don't have a lot of events dealing near pools so it's usually a non-issue. If anyone ever is interested in doing this for fun, please don't ever swim in a pool with kids. They can sit on the side and watch, but it's insanely dangerous to be swimming in a tail fin with kids around. I've been in a pool doing laps in only my monofin and a swimsuit for practice and had children come into my lap lane and attempt to grab my silicone fin. I didn't even realize they were there. It's a 30lb slab of silicone, I could have seriously hurt them. Don't swim with kids in the area. It's a good rule and most event insurance providers will not cover accidental bitch-smacking with a tail.

3. I wear goggles for practice in the lap lane and if I'm just frolicking in a pool for fun. No one is paying me and I like not having burnt eyeballs for a few days. When I'm actively doing underwater gigs like photoshoots or a rare pool event, I'll keep them off. There are gel eyedrops that Bausch & Lomb make (I think it's them, I'd have to check), that coat your eye and make it easier to see, plus they protect from chlorine. There are also goggle makers who specialize in mermaid goggles. Yes, they make custom colors and add fun fins and stuff to them. They're actually really cool and if my LASIK ever wears off and I'm back in contacts, I'll be investing in a pair. Etsy has a few suppliers. They're legit cool.

4. My favorite tail I've ever had is my beat up Mertailor. My friend bought a junky silicone tail with a gross blue/gold paint job. It was covered in bad repairs, broken heel straps, chips, nicks, and tears. She repaired the broken bits, sealed the broken strap, repainted the whole thing in a gorgeous purple, and painted the bra to match. We added a bra base that fit me, added a decorative silicone octopus, and she's upstairs for sale right now. haha. She's a beautiful piece of vintage mermaid history, but I'm not allowed to swim here because of "the rules" no matter how hard I tantrum, so I want her to be swam in and with a good mer who can appreciate her. It hurts my heart, but it's time she moves on.

RE: MAKEUP
    I don't like doing a full face of makeup. Most people will only see your scales and freak out alone at that. Eyeliner, eye shadow, foundation.... I don't bother. I have some great pigmented eyeshadow I use to draw on my eyebrows, dab on my scales with a stencil, and use setting spray to seal them on my face. I'll add gems with spirit gum, toss on some waterproof mascara, and call it a day. Foundation just cakes up like a bakery and looks terrible when you come out of the water, eyeliner and bad mascara will run, and eyeshadow usually creases up under water. Simple is better. Mermaids are natural creatures.

I have started enjoying not being in costume. I have built up a little gathering of mermaids here who enjoy being in tails and getting their photos taken. It's been more fun for me to watch people's dreams be met by getting to live out their childhood mermaid fantasies. Plus I don't have to pose on hard, spiky rocks, or my hair. lol
    I'll be posting a couple more photos on my photography post later this week. It's been really awesome sharing my favorite activity with people.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

Evelynn (07-22-2023)

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    419 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilac Tentacles View Post
    Good morning!
    Sorry for the delayed response. I was actually out doing a mermaid shoot all day yesterday. Tee hee...

1. I do this for both reasons. I love swimming, my knees and hips are jacked from 14 years in the military, as well as tiny-child bearing, so running, squatting, basically anything that isn't zero gravity hurts my entire soul. I'm going to a chiropractor and sports therapist to help, but for now swimming is hella low-impact (so even if you aren't into mermaids 10/10 recommend swimming as a workout. Feels good.). I also do this as an event performer. I have done a couple of concerts as a character prop, I've done an Under The Sea wedding as their cocktail hour entertainment, and I've done a few parties for kiddos. I'm working on a few random events where I currently live to draw in children for Cub Scout signups at their recruitment booth this year. (yes, i realize how creepy that sounds. Lol)

2. I don't do pool parties often because of liability issues. My insurance is cheaper if I stay on land, and I can charge less. I also don't have a lot of events dealing near pools so it's usually a non-issue. If anyone ever is interested in doing this for fun, please don't ever swim in a pool with kids. They can sit on the side and watch, but it's insanely dangerous to be swimming in a tail fin with kids around. I've been in a pool doing laps in only my monofin and a swimsuit for practice and had children come into my lap lane and attempt to grab my silicone fin. I didn't even realize they were there. It's a 30lb slab of silicone, I could have seriously hurt them. Don't swim with kids in the area. It's a good rule and most event insurance providers will not cover accidental bitch-smacking with a tail.

3. I wear goggles for practice in the lap lane and if I'm just frolicking in a pool for fun. No one is paying me and I like not having burnt eyeballs for a few days. When I'm actively doing underwater gigs like photoshoots or a rare pool event, I'll keep them off. There are gel eyedrops that Bausch & Lomb make (I think it's them, I'd have to check), that coat your eye and make it easier to see, plus they protect from chlorine. There are also goggle makers who specialize in mermaid goggles. Yes, they make custom colors and add fun fins and stuff to them. They're actually really cool and if my LASIK ever wears off and I'm back in contacts, I'll be investing in a pair. Etsy has a few suppliers. They're legit cool.

4. My favorite tail I've ever had is my beat up Mertailor. My friend bought a junky silicone tail with a gross blue/gold paint job. It was covered in bad repairs, broken heel straps, chips, nicks, and tears. She repaired the broken bits, sealed the broken strap, repainted the whole thing in a gorgeous purple, and painted the bra to match. We added a bra base that fit me, added a decorative silicone octopus, and she's upstairs for sale right now. haha. She's a beautiful piece of vintage mermaid history, but I'm not allowed to swim here because of "the rules" no matter how hard I tantrum, so I want her to be swam in and with a good mer who can appreciate her. It hurts my heart, but it's time she moves on.

I don't like doing a full face of makeup. Most people will only see your scales and freak out alone at that. Eyeliner, eye shadow, foundation.... I don't bother. I have some great pigmented eyeshadow I use to draw on my eyebrows, dab on my scales with a stencil, and use setting spray to seal them on my face. I'll add gems with spirit gum, toss on some waterproof mascara, and call it a day. Foundation just cakes up like a bakery and looks terrible when you come out of the water, eyeliner and bad mascara will run, and eyeshadow usually creases up under water. Simple is better. Mermaids are natural creatures.

I have started enjoying not being in costume. I have built up a little gathering of mermaids here who enjoy being in tails and getting their photos taken. It's been more fun for me to watch people's dreams be met by getting to live out their childhood mermaid fantasies. Plus I don't have to pose on hard, spiky rocks, or my hair. lol
    I'll be posting a couple more photos on my photography post later this week. It's been really awesome sharing my favorite activity with people.
    Under the sea wedding? Now that's sound pretty cool

Wow I haven't thought about what @(you need an account to see links) asked, always stuff to learn about. It's funny how when you say mermaid first thing comes to my mind it's being on water, but after all the explanation that doesn't seem always true.

Haven't thought about the kids safety. I mean I cannot imagine myself saying something like "when I was 10 years old I was tail slapped by a mermaid" lol

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    37d 1h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilac Tentacles View Post
    Good morning!

Ahhh thank you thank you for taking the time to reply to all of my questions, I really appreciate it! This is a subculture I've known about for years but have never been able to really talk to anyone about, so this is like a treat for me.
    It's really nice to hear that you are able to stay active because of it. Swimming is one of the best workouts for people of all shapes and sizes, I'm thankful I live in Australia which is one of the best countries in the world for teaching people (especially young kids) how to swim and how to swim safe.

I'd love to see pictures of your tails if you ever do end up posting them here. I've seen videos online of people who make the tails too, and it feels like such a fun job. It kind of intersects with what my dream job would be, which is one of those professional princesses. You know the kinds who dress up as disney princesses and go to kids parties? This is like that but on steroids (when you do the actual swimming and stuff.)

Are there any mermaid groups that do this for educational purposes or is it mostly for entertainment? Like, a group of mermaids who go to like schools or whatever maybe to teach kids about pool safety? I feel like that would be such a hit with schools and kids in general.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    9d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    This was really cool and very informative. I had no idea what to expect walking into the thread, btw. But this was a super interesting topic!

(As someone with a knee issue that makes jogging pretty much impossible, getting confirmation on swimming for low-impact is great).

Not going to go mermaiding, as my clumsy ass will somehow trip and die in water that way, but this is really cool and I know a couple of people who wanted to do something different. I'll go point them at monofins.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PabstBlueRibbon For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (08-25-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    7d 8h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    I read about this thread and all I could think of were the mermaid cast members at Disneyland around that old submarine ride. (Eventually they took them out due to health hazards from the oil coming from the subs.)

This was such a cool read. Maybe I should pick this up as a hobby!!