19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 9h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m

Tutoring Help

Hey guys, I have a friend whose asked me to tutor her child in 4th grade math, so just division / multiplication

Her daughter has ADHD - and I've been looking up resources and stuff, but I just feel like I'm not expressing things to her clearly.

She's a visual learner so we've done like little charts, and graphs.

But there's a disconnect with her remembering or retaining information.

I do not have ADHD (but different memory issues due to like depression so I'm not sure the best way to assist her)

She's very smart, and some things she grabs fast, but in school I remember the whole memorization and repetition thing was rough for me.

Do you guys have any ideas how I can make math fun and more digestible for her?
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Kisses (12-24-2023),Zenitsu (08-14-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    As far as helping her retain information goes, it might help to game-ify part of the tutoring session. I don't have ADHD but I am autistic and had a lot of trouble with math as a kid. I could really only retain information by applying it, and playing math-based games really helped me apply and understand concepts without just doing drills all the time. I also used to tutor reading and grammar for kids who straight-up HATED reading books, but they responded really well to including games in our sessions. I know the death of flash killed a lot of free edutainment, but maybe you could find some math games online and incorporating them into your time. Like, after going over her class materials with her, letting her play games for five or ten minutes and then going over what she had trouble with.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crooked For This Useful Post:

Kisses (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 9h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedteeth View Post
    As far as helping her retain information goes, it might help to game-ify part of the tutoring session. I don't have ADHD but I am autistic and had a lot of trouble with math as a kid. I could really only retain information by applying it, and playing math-based games really helped me apply and understand concepts without just doing drills all the time. I also used to tutor reading and grammar for kids who straight-up HATED reading books, but they responded really well to including games in our sessions. I know the death of flash killed a lot of free edutainment, but maybe you could find some math games online and incorporating them into your time. Like, after going over her class materials with her, letting her play games for five or ten minutes and then going over what she had trouble with.
    This is a phenomenal idea, and one I hadn't even thought of. I kept doing like treats, so I'd do like skittles or M&Ms and have her solve equations with them, but math based games is wonderful.

I will definitely bring my laptop to our next session and see if we can find something that can capture her!!! She;s not good at showing work yet and like, this generation of math is different from when I was in school with how they solve equations and the work they ask for so I've been stressing it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Crooked (07-07-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 9h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    For some reason the website glitched and double posted me.
    Last edited by Harvest Goddess; 07-07-2023 at 09:23 AM. Reason: - Sorry guys

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Kisses (12-24-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    3d 11h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I had undiagnosed adhd as a child wasn't diagnosed until i was in my 30's
    My stepdad had 2 kids from his first marriage, and I was always obsessed when my stepbrother was doing homework. Math has always been my favorite subject in school. Still love numbers till this day.

Things I love doing with math problems during school was the timed tests. Like 100 easy multiplications problems. Like a 5 minute timers to how many you can complete.
    I would suggest starting off really easy.

Like start with the 1 x's and the 2 x's to start. Also, a big boost was learning the trick on my fingers for the 9x's tables. Alot of it is memorization in the beginning which is a lot to learn for anyone. Make it easy make it fun. Stickers/rewards maybe an ice cream trip once she gets 1 x to 5x down. Multiplication is a little easier but the same concepts start easy don't stress about learning remainders at first. Make things super simple. Have fun with it. Use candy or something to visually show. I was a very hands on learner myself. I wanted to do it show me once so I can learn to do it myself. If I had questions I would ask.

Create a multiplication table chart too

I would love to be able to tutor this lvl math with kids.

Custom userbar by Lyrichord
    Custom RYU bar by Infected
    Signature: Made by Me SourSkittles

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SourSkittles For This Useful Post:

♥ Harvest Goddess ♥ (10-27-2023),Kisses (12-24-2023)