DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    954 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    @(you need an account to see links) right I imagine on paper and when it comes to things like legality of categorizations, patents/trademarks, copyright, plagiarism (which is also a big topic that comes up a bunch in kpop spheres) from a legal standpoint you would need to have some kind of clear cut definition for artists to protect themselves but for the masses, it's much more a colloquial/casual term that is used loose and fast. I definitely see how there is a potential negative side surrounding intent of chasing after such labels, as there will always be those out to profit from cultural appropriation and trends without having the respect/appreciation. As a supporter of an international community of fans and creators alike however, with race/locale not being a gatekeeper for whatever hobby or profession one wants to pursue, in a perfect world people should be able to engage in whatever makes them happy as long as it is done respectfully. Like if there was a western animation studio who wanted to create an "anime inspired" original series in the Japanese animation style and as such classify/market it as anime because of its inspiration and target demographics but being told hey you're not from a Japanese studio so it's not anime, idk I guess that'd make me feel sad for them since we all love anime and what it brings to the table no matter where we're from, and being automatically excluded from contributing back in that way seems like a kick. But of course not saying the same for corporations or the super rich who would just want to "ride the wave" and profit off of the cultural significance/popularity of things like anime/kpop, without truly having the passion for the thing. since I toooootally get + lived through the whole "wow you're into anime? fucking nerd" trauma to seeing anime/manga become massively mainstream. 🥴 idk sorry the world is a very complex place and I wish we could just bake cakes made of rainbows and happiness and all get along 😂

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Crooked (06-24-2023),Lyrichord (06-24-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    @(you need an account to see links) Yeah there's definitely a lot of different angles you could approach any side of the argument from. Only time will tell how things will develop!

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    420 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    Well I'm no expert so I basically stick with what has been said here about anime being from Japan. Like if I cannot understand the original language and I need subtitles and it's animated, that's anime for me haha.

The ATLA example was a relevant one

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    215d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    I'm finally off work and can respond. I really appreciate everyone's insight!

@(you need an account to see links) A couple things you mentioned struck a chord with me! I was wondering if similar styles in other Asian countries would be considered the same thing. I was glad to hear they have their own name for the genre! Fanime is such a neat term too for those in Western cultures.

Another part of my reason for asking, was based on just how rooted it is in American and Western cultures now. And now that a couple decades have passed, whether both the Japanese style and American style are becoming closer to one another - and then if that would eventually change the terminology and/or the flexibility of the genre. Animation has improved drastically across the world, as has story-telling. There are plenty of cartoon based graphic novels for adults in the states, although most of them haven't made it to film.

I agree with Phantasia that the dichotomies presented in that chart are not necessarily true, in both directions!

Quote Originally Posted by crookedteeth View Post
    In the end though labels and genres aren't set in stone and can change over time. This same conversation regarding what can be considered anime/manga and k-pop, as well as the interplay of this projected value I've talked about, actually has a lot of academic discourse right now! There are a lot of nerds and stans in academia, lol. There are a lot of interesting conversations about the roles Orientalism may play, but it's full of nuance and is honestly a little out of my wheelhouse. Like I said though, if anybody is curious about further reading or scholarly sources, I'd be more than happy to hook you up!
    Do you think the genre labels will change at some point? I'm curious about the role of Orientalism, too.

@(you need an account to see links) Your comments on gatekeeping and who's allowed to make and call what, what were super interesting too! I agree on making sure it's respecting culture, and celebrating it, and not just doing it because it would sell to people who actually are interested.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Ice (06-25-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    209 times
    Time Online
    41d 18h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) , yeah the list is mainly just a for a reference, since the term animation is such a big scope that just have different variations/genres branches of how people / countries deal and play around with it.

@(you need an account to see links) i do agree with you on 动漫 dongman/donghua aka chinese anime haha , China usually does 3d style more often and a ton of crappy animated manhua's series. But they still have some titles i do see them on par with japanese anime in terms of story and art also i guess some japanese studio collab the the china studios.

Like my all time fav King's Avatar 全职高手 , Yi Ren Zhi Xia 一人之下 (Hitori no Shita - The Outcast)

I do read somewhere that japanese animators / studios are kinda worried about their china's rival /competitor since they are doing better / growing well bit by bit. Gotta say that china being a big copy machine is indeed a threat

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Crooked (06-25-2023),Lyrichord (06-25-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 4h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Sorry to reopen an old thread but I thought it was relevant. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this today so I thought I'd share the thread where I posted my findings:

https://clraik.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88961 Page 2
    Last edited by Peaches_and_Mocha; 01-02-2024 at 10:23 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaches_and_Mocha For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (01-02-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    After raeding and watching the videos that @(you need an account to see links) posted I actually realised that one of my favorite animations (cartoon) is Anime.
    I think I was just not really aware and Dragonball Z reunite it for me. I am sorry really hated that show when I was a child.

I love Heidi. I littraly put that show on for my sisters daughter every time she visited me. I bought the dvd's

I can see that anime is deeper and more detailed than pure animation. Also the target market seems to be very different.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (01-03-2024),Peaches_and_Mocha (01-03-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    13d 12h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 49m
    I was wondering about this recently, cos I saw my favourite film (Resident Evil: Death Island) categorised as Anime on TV Tropes, which surprised me because I think of it as a CGI animated film rather than anime

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Yeah the term anime kinda differs between who you ask haha.
    For me it's the (usage of) limited animation techniques that evolved from the constraints of the production process, such as time and budget among other things.
    These techniques were actually taken from Hanna-Barbera cartoons (i.e. Flintstones, Scooby-Doo) and then further evolved into its own kind of genre. There used to be a good video on YouTube describing what I'm talking about but I cannot find it lol.

EDIT: I also do weigh in it being produced or developed by a Japanese animation house or studio though, even though a lot of the staff working on these shows these days are Korean due to outsourcing shots and whatnot.
    Last edited by kalez; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:13 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kalez For This Useful Post:

Junellie (3 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    209 times
    Time Online
    41d 18h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) , @(you need an account to see links) To be honest there is probably a million reasons to debate between the 2 but i still stay by anime = asian (jap/kr/cn) vs animation (western) , but the anime now seems to have a drastically change , which they switch to the use of more CGI animation instead of the hand drawn artwork. To safe time and the large workload mostly i guess and also due to competition ? I saw some article mentioning that the anime industry isn't really doing good , anime artists get low wages overworked and stuffs . I think the recent one was the animator leaving MAPPA topic.

To add on to both Junellies mention on the Resident Evil: Death Island, when i search it , it was mention as a CG anime film by Quebico haha.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Junellie (3 Weeks Ago),kalez (3 Weeks Ago)