DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    216d 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    I read somewhere that if it did implode, it would have done so in about 1 second and they wouldn't have felt anything. With 250k to spend on this of all things, why wouldn't they have done their research on how many safety features even robot submarines have, that this one lacked? Unfathomable!

I also can't get over them being allowed to offer this "tour" with the limited comm systems.

I'm hoping for the best, but presuming the worst. It reminds me a bit of the stories of people trapped in natural, mining, or glacier caves.

What horrible fortune, and why on earth tempt fate like that. There have to be other shipwrecks in the world that are within safe scuba diving protocols.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

John Cena (06-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    26d 1h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Greed definitely comes into play here.

I read (you need an account to see links) that said that the safety concerns were raised long ago back in 2018 by an employee who literally wrote a report about the communication equipment failures and was promptly fired.

Disgusting!

◞ thank you @KJiU for my Sunflower scene + @kittyray for my lion!

Profile Picture by Lyricchord & Signature from /~Stoffig

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I just read that the submersible has now most likely ran out of reserve oxygen, but the search is continuing. Tragic.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Our media is going nuts about this story while the story about a boat sinking and killing hundreds of refugees just off the coast of Greece is nowhere to be seen, which feels slightly frustrating.

I'm really hating how the media are handling it in general. My dad works with people who wreck dive (not to these depths usually) for preservation reasons and according to them there's about a 99.9 percent chance the sub just imploded and everyone was killed instantly - which in this scenario is honestly not even close to the worst case.

The media are hanging on it because it sounds like a horror movie - trapped in a mini submarine falling to the bottom of the ocean and a count down for rescue. Like, it should star George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. The press love a count down. But it feels like making sick entertainment out of people's lives.

From what I hear if the craft had sunk to the bottom they would have frozen to death on the first day anyway. But the submarine has ballast they release to float back up again - they don't need to use power to drop the ballast, so the thing shouldn't have sunk completely unless they were all dead anyway. Also one reason a lot of divers and wreck preservationists hate this company is that every time they go down they drop ballast straight through the wreck of the Titanic. They've been slowly destroying it.

So their only real hope of survival would be if they'd lost power, dropped their ballast and were floating on the surface of the water. It's a small craft but the search area for that is limited so it's hard to think it wouldn't have been found by now.

Anyway, I don't feel it should have been hyped by the media as this big rescue, at least not without any solid evidence that they were alive to be rescued. It's almost certainly been a tragedy from the outset though of course it would be nice if a miracle happened, even now.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to birdies For This Useful Post:

♥ Blissey ♥ (06-23-2023),♥ Cerberus ♥ (06-22-2023),Crooked (06-22-2023),Ice (06-22-2023),John Cena (06-22-2023),kittyray (06-22-2023),Nanashi (06-22-2023),Uma (06-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    My dad works with people who wreck dive (not to these depths usually) for preservation reasons and according to them there's about a 99.9 percent chance the sub just imploded and everyone was killed instantly - which in this scenario is honestly not even close to the worst case.
    That actually is one of the best case scenarios in a situation like this where they haven't been found and the oxygen has run out. That would be quicker and less agonising than waiting for 96 hours.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 20h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    My mother was obsessed with the Titanic, this was one thing on her bucket list. Feels crazy to see that it had this many issues and they still went along with it.

Hopefully it was a quick scenario as most people are suggesting and the sub just imploded.
    I saw a video (on tiktok, so not exactly a reliable source) about a previous test they did and somebody mentioned a leak?

There was also something about the ceo mentioning that "life is about taking risks", but I feel like when you're juggling other people's lives, including that of a young adult, you should probably do a few more safety checks

Hoping for a recovery, but I think all we can do at this point is just sit and wait.

------------------------------
    John Cena Cat

Buff cena cat by @honeycomb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John Cena For This Useful Post:

kittyray (06-22-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 20h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Latest update:
    (you need an account to see links)

and media advisory link:

Hopefully that means if it is the Titan, they went quick :x

------------------------------
    John Cena Cat

Buff cena cat by @honeycomb

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 12h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cena View Post
    Latest update:

and media advisory link:

I really really hope that's the titan and that they went quick because oxygen's out now and I'm hoping for the quickest possible end so they did not suffer.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Aero (06-22-2023),John Cena (06-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cena View Post
    Latest update:

and media advisory link:

Yes. It's rather vague as the Titanic has its own debris field, but you've got to assume they wouldn't be holding a press briefing if they didn't think this was the sub. Horrible, but definitely a better way to go than any of the alternatives.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdies For This Useful Post:

Aero (06-22-2023),John Cena (06-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    Yes. It's rather vague as the Titanic has its own debris field, but you've got to assume they wouldn't be holding a press briefing if they didn't think this was the sub. Horrible, but definitely a better way to go than any of the alternatives.
    I'm not sure if the Titanic debris still surface? But yes hopefully it's the Titan and that they went quick with an implosion.