30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m

Cryptocurrency

I made a thread like this a few years back, but it's buried down deep so I wanted to make a new one.

Is anybody into crypto? What are you overall thoughts about it? It's been in the news more, especially with the talks of the US trying to push through CBDCs eventually.

I have mixed thoughts on CBDCs in general, especially with how the US would likely handle them. Crypto on the other hand, I've been in the space since about 2017/8, bought my first few ETH at $7/ETH, and participated in manyyyy ICOs for different coins throughout the years.

Most recently, I've been burned pretty bad on two ICOs I did, but back in the day it was really hard to lose.

What coins are you most interested in? Do you have a strategy to invest? Do you think it's a load of bullshit? Are you super confused and don't know how it works?
    More than willing to help anybody who is interested and wants to jump on board.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

BryanCranston (06-16-2023),Excalibur (06-16-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Honestly I made a bit of money on Bitcoin when it was on a sharp rise. I think Crypto has largely failed in its aim. There are just to many different coins to really be a practical application in the real word. I think in the begging the goal was for it to replace money as we know it. However this aim has largely failed and it is now just a very big gamble to invest in.

If you really like investing maybe look at real trading. There are so many training and software that you can use these days.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (06-16-2023),Zenitsu (06-16-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    i made money on the doge coin rise. then ever since that it has dipped and stayed below the threshold. currently im making money on poke stonks - which isnt an investment by far however if you have nostalgiamons people WILL pay and ive seen some kick back from knowing people with it.

i use robinhood and do long term investments currently.

i had bitcoin/eth and even some random named cryptos that essentially sat.

i decided i wanted long term stonks with dividends on robinhood.

as well as selling my old hotwheels which has made far more money than crypto. its just too volatile- you have to be on the app 24/7 to even be able to do trades. i remember driving home and someone texted me about doge and like i said prior its when i made the most money. dropped 1k on it when it was .0025 then sold off at .50... crazy times during pandemic

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    Honestly I made a bit of money on Bitcoin when it was on a sharp rise. I think Crypto has largely failed in its aim. There are just to many different coins to really be a practical application in the real word. I think in the begging the goal was for it to replace money as we know it. However this aim has largely failed and it is now just a very big gamble to invest in.

If you really like investing maybe look at real trading. There are so many training and software that you can use these days.
    I think that's probably the view that a lot of people have. There is actually a lot more to it though, with blockchain technology in general. There's more than just the thought that it could replace money. That thought is very real though as more and more countries implement CBDCs and a digital currency that is essentially based off of the theories of crypto. It's very scary to think the US could do that with how insane some of our politicians are right now. I don't trust them to do the right thing.

One of my biggest investments right now is in a company that handles logistics for shipping through the blockchain tech. it's very interesting to see somebody identify a problem and use new solutions to make it 100x better and more efficient. The use cases and demos for this particular project are massive and I really hope they can pull it off in the long run.

My obvious biggest bet is on Quant Network. There's so many positives there. I bought in at the ICO for about $1.5/QNT and have been through the highs and the lows there.

In the end, for me, it's a long term hedge/speculative play. There will be an overwhelming majority of coins that fizzle out and turn to junk. This is because of how many people see it as a short term play and a way to get rich quick. If they'd change their mindset from that to something more practical, I think we'd be a lot better off in the space. I can understand your thinking for sure and mine is probably a bit biased because I've been in the space so long - but I'd just say don't count it out completely yet!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (06-16-2023),phantasia (06-16-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    so do you constantly check the apps? like do you have a timeframe of how you do this? i would like to learn about it more if youre free in the DMs

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    i made money on the doge coin rise. then ever since that it has dipped and stayed below the threshold. currently im making money on poke stonks - which isnt an investment by far however if you have nostalgiamons people WILL pay and ive seen some kick back from knowing people with it.

i use robinhood and do long term investments currently.

i had bitcoin/eth and even some random named cryptos that essentially sat.

i decided i wanted long term stonks with dividends on robinhood.

as well as selling my old hotwheels which has made far more money than crypto. its just too volatile- you have to be on the app 24/7 to even be able to do trades. i remember driving home and someone texted me about doge and like i said prior its when i made the most money. dropped 1k on it when it was .0025 then sold off at .50... crazy times during pandemic
    Oh yeah the doge rise was a crazy time. That's actually how I paid for my entire wedding lol. I pulled maybe $5k from another project and started riding the doge train. I did so many trades, selling it when it jumped, buying when it dipped. Rinse and repeat. I thought it was funny how many people thought it would keep going to $1 and beyond, but we all knew it was only riding the hype that came from influencers and people making silly decisions. I hope you eventually got out at a good spot on that one!

I haven't heard of nostalgiamons before. Is that an NFT? I generally avoided all NFTs because I didn't see enough utility in them to justify the price. That's not to say that I'm not kicking myself for scooping some of the ones that sold like crazy there for awhile haha

Your strategy on dividends is one that I'd like to explore too, one that I am exploring actually. I've done a bunch of research as far as which stocks to pick up and how much I'd have to put in, in order to get dividends back to me in a sizable enough way. I can't afford to go all in and make that happen right now, but I've at least got a plan lined out a bit.

Old hotwheels like literally the little cars? Is there a market for that? brb raiding my parents basement!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (06-16-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    11d 1h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Saw your thread from way back but didn't want to gravedig

I'm a more recent crypto buyer (2021ish was when I first bought) and mainly due to my brother telling me about it. He has had cardano for years, he bought most of his around 5 cents and told me about all the reasons he thought ADA was better than BTC and ETH. I was unsure about it at the time and was more into trading on the stock market so I didn't buy much.

Times have changed now and I have investment licenses due to my job, my employer also requires me to report any stock market trades I make outside my 401k so I stopped trading stocks altogether.
    Crypto, however, is free game, they don't care what I do with crypto so I have recently gotten back into buying it. So far I only have some ETH and ADA.

Usually throw a few hundred dollars at it from every paycheck but this recent lawsuit is driving prices down altogether and is very tempting to buy extra. Any thoughts on the lawsuit? Which platform do you use to buy?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    so do you constantly check the apps? like do you have a timeframe of how you do this? i would like to learn about it more if youre free in the DMs
    I will say that I don't do anything through robinhood, webull, or any stock apps like that. The primary reason is that you don't control the keys to your crypto and its not truly "YOURS" when you hold it like that. I have multiple wallets set up that I hold my things in. Most of it is long term so I don't worry about having to move it that often. I plan to get a hardware wallet to have most of it sit on so I have peace of mind.

My advice would be to go to myetherwallet.com and create a wallet for yourself. That will give you the keys for you to control. You can then use metamask to set it up in there and have your wallet handy. You can make as many wallets as you want to get familiar with how that side of things work, then use exchanges to move between different coins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BryanCranston View Post
    Saw your thread from way back but didn't want to gravedig

I'm a more recent crypto buyer (2021ish was when I first bought) and mainly due to my brother telling me about it. He has had cardano for years, he bought most of his around 5 cents and told me about all the reasons he thought ADA was better than BTC and ETH. I was unsure about it at the time and was more into trading on the stock market so I didn't buy much.

Times have changed now and I have investment licenses due to my job, my employer also requires me to report any stock market trades I make outside my 401k so I stopped trading stocks altogether.
    Crypto, however, is free game, they don't care what I do with crypto so I have recently gotten back into buying it. So far I only have some ETH and ADA.

Usually throw a few hundred dollars at it from every paycheck but this recent lawsuit is driving prices down altogether and is very tempting to buy extra. Any thoughts on the lawsuit? Which platform do you use to buy?
    Oh man, I've heard all the talk for years about how ADA was going to be the ETH killer. It's funny how many projects touted that as their punchline when the ICO craze was going on. I haven't followed ADA too much lately and admittedly don't hold any, but I DO think they are a solid project and will be one of the ones that survives in the end.

Ohhhh an accredited investor kind of license? That's pretty awesome, so you're attuned to all the going ons now for sure. That's pretty sweet! I like that crypto is fair game for you then. ETH and ADA are both solid choices, safer choices than some other projects for sure.

If you're looking to expand a bit, take a look at lower market cap coins that could have some upside potential. ETH and ADA are big dogs so there aren't as crazy swings in prices. My recent gambit has been hunting through the top 100/150 coins to try and find a gem that I believe is undervalued. It's risky, but it could work long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, finally! I got the acai pop with one of these posts. At long last!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

BryanCranston (06-16-2023),Excalibur (06-16-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Oh yeah the doge rise was a crazy time. That's actually how I paid for my entire wedding lol. I pulled maybe $5k from another project and started riding the doge train. I did so many trades, selling it when it jumped, buying when it dipped. Rinse and repeat. I thought it was funny how many people thought it would keep going to $1 and beyond, but we all knew it was only riding the hype that came from influencers and people making silly decisions. I hope you eventually got out at a good spot on that one!

I haven't heard of nostalgiamons before. Is that an NFT? I generally avoided all NFTs because I didn't see enough utility in them to justify the price. That's not to say that I'm not kicking myself for scooping some of the ones that sold like crazy there for awhile haha

Your strategy on dividends is one that I'd like to explore too, one that I am exploring actually. I've done a bunch of research as far as which stocks to pick up and how much I'd have to put in, in order to get dividends back to me in a sizable enough way. I can't afford to go all in and make that happen right now, but I've at least got a plan lined out a bit.

Old hotwheels like literally the little cars? Is there a market for that? brb raiding my parents basement!
    i think i got out when the bubble burst? i literally have no investments currently besides ones with dividends so those are:

Pepsi, INTC, COST, IBM, JPM, amazon tbh is a good stock ive made quick 6 month money had to pull out tho needed the cash, and starbux as well for dividend.

im sorry i should explain nostalgiamon- basically its old pokemon cards from the 90's im an avid pokemon collector and lately theyve been treating it like volatile stocks. The demand for old cards is high and people have been trading like this since 2020. remember the old charizard? well a graded NM10 PSA sold for like 20k i want to say??? which is insane.

Yes sealed hotwheels are doing the same. Honestly its a piss in the face to collectors however investor bros are now on the pokemon train. certain cards non graded are selling for upwards of 600, when 2 years ago it was valued at 45/50 bucks. i think thats a real time investment strategy if you were apart of the poke craze. its crazy how it even went from regular collectors to now pokemon and hotwheels have become almost real time stocks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (06-16-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    i think i got out when the bubble burst? i literally have no investments currently besides ones with dividends so those are:

Pepsi, INTC, COST, IBM, JPM, amazon tbh is a good stock ive made quick 6 month money had to pull out tho needed the cash, and starbux as well for dividend.

im sorry i should explain nostalgiamon- basically its old pokemon cards from the 90's im an avid pokemon collector and lately theyve been treating it like volatile stocks. The demand for old cards is high and people have been trading like this since 2020. remember the old charizard? well a graded NM10 PSA sold for like 20k i want to say??? which is insane.

Yes sealed hotwheels are doing the same. Honestly its a piss in the face to collectors however investor bros are now on the pokemon train. certain cards non graded are selling for upwards of 600, when 2 years ago it was valued at 45/50 bucks. i think thats a real time investment strategy if you were apart of the poke craze. its crazy how it even went from regular collectors to now pokemon and hotwheels have become almost real time stocks
    Those are all solid investments right there. I have a few of them on my lists, but I took note of the ones I don't have as ones to look into. I'm looking at reallocating my 401k and combining a few from past employers so distributing to dividend yielding stocks is one of my goals.

Dude what?! I've heard that some pokemon cards and stuff like that can go for good money, but I had no idea it was that much. I have a huge collection that I think is still tucked at my parents house somewhere in the basement. I've been meaning to grab it one day to look through. My main thought was just that the stuff I had wouldn't be worth anything and I'd have no idea how to price it out. Back in the DAY my parents used to bribe me to cut the grass or rake up the leaves with packs of pokemon cards. I have entirely too many. I don't have any sealed hotwheels, but pokemon cards - check!