Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    15h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Unhappy reddit is burning!

its like the library of alexandria over there. How is everyone holding up? With the amount of information being locked away or lost forever now I'm considering expanding my hatred for support channels existing purely in discord to all information online in general.

If i find a tutorial on something I need, im gonna just store it in my own archives to not lose it, and keep it uploaded somewhere on a webpage so that maybe search engine indexing is gonna be nice to someone someday and hand someone the solution i found.

one thing that im hoping is the possible revival of forum-based websites. Im not expecting anything in the same oldie style as clraik to crop up, but anything in the vein of that becoming more widespread popular and not depending on a single platform like reddit would be nice. Maybe people should start campaigning to teach folks how to make their own RSS feeds lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ButterBird For This Useful Post:

John Cena (06-13-2023),Synth Salazzle (06-13-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Reddit is boring*

The only groups still open are the orange cat and one of the insult subs. I need to follow more. My reddit life is boring.

It should only last a day more, right?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    11d 1h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Some subs say they wont open again until changes are made or reverted back. I doubt any of the mega subs would do that but pretty wild. Supposed to last until the 14th

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I got banned from Reddit for having views opposite of a few people in different crypto channels so I haven’t been on in awhile to check on things lol

I did try to jump on the neo Reddit the other day to grab food club bets but it was set to private. What’s the tl:dr version of what’s going on there?
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Alcremie (06-13-2023),fictitious (06-16-2023),♥ lint ♥ (06-13-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    oh hi - digital librarian/archivist checking in! I am constantly worried about things on the internet not being archived correctly. I do believe there is a big push right now of people archiving Reddit pages through Wayback Machine! It could also be a good tool for you to create a personal archive of pages you don't want to lose if you haven't used it before (you need an account to see links) Pages that are saved are available forever in their public internet archive.

I use (you need an account to see links) Chrome widget for my job. It creates a personal library of saved webpages so I have folders of all sorts of different things my company puts out. I like the aesthetics and organization better than Wayback Machine, but it's not contributing to the greater good.

In theory, more forum-based websites sounds fantastic. I only prefer Reddit because of how heavily moderated it is. Remember old Reddit? I've seen far too many things I can't unsee and I wouldn't want to go back to that.

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

ButterBird (06-13-2023),Cinnamoroll (06-13-2023),Crooked (06-13-2023),I_royalty_I (06-13-2023),Ice (06-13-2023),Ismira (06-15-2023),Jesuslovescats (06-25-2023),kittyray (06-13-2023),Mario2302 (06-13-2023),Nattiee (06-13-2023),Nyanobyte                      (06-13-2023),Synth Salazzle (06-13-2023),Teakwood (06-13-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I got banned from Reddit for having views opposite of a few people in different crypto channels so I haven’t been on in awhile to check on things lol

I did try to jump on the neo Reddit the other day to grab food club bets but it was set to private. What’s the tl:dr version of what’s going on there?
    Pretty sure they set it to private for this Reddit blackout thing. Reddit are changing their rules around API so a lot of the bots, extra Reddit apps etc wont work unless they pay Reddit money. A lot of subs are annoyed so they closed everything in protest.

I�ve been around...

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post

Reddit is going to start charging for API and subs are "going dark" (private) in protest.

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

Megiddo (06-13-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    To be fair, I heard reddit is trying to charge millions for third party apps to continue their services. That's pretty effed if rumors are true. That's a "f*ck you" price.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

♥ Blissey ♥ (06-13-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryFaerie View Post
    oh hi - digital librarian/archivist checking in! I am constantly worried about things on the internet not being archived correctly. I do believe there is a big push right now of people archiving Reddit pages through Wayback Machine! It could also be a good tool for you to create a personal archive of pages you don't want to lose if you haven't used it before (you need an account to see links) Pages that are saved are available forever in their public internet archive.

I use (you need an account to see links) Chrome widget for my job. It creates a personal library of saved webpages so I have folders of all sorts of different things my company puts out. I like the aesthetics and organization better than Wayback Machine, but it's not contributing to the greater good.

In theory, more forum-based websites sounds fantastic. I only prefer Reddit because of how heavily moderated it is. Remember old Reddit? I've seen far too many things I can't unsee and I wouldn't want to go back to that.
    That's pretty handy. Saving that to check it out a little more later. Having something like that is definitely useful if something were to ever happen where resources became unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by Megiddo View Post
    Pretty sure they set it to private for this Reddit blackout thing. Reddit are changing their rules around API so a lot of the bots, extra Reddit apps etc wont work unless they pay Reddit money. A lot of subs are annoyed so they closed everything in protest.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryFaerie View Post
    Reddit is going to start charging for API and subs are "going dark" (private) in protest.
    I wouldn't think that neo really has too much skin in the game as far as the API usage goes though? I guess they were just joining the cause because they could?

I'll have to check that out some more. I haven't used anything API related for reddit too intensely. Mostly use it for browsing news and reading up on topics that I'm otherwise interested in.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

15. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

LibraryFaerie (06-13-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Yeah the neo reddit is just jumping on the bandwagon. I guess every little bit helps, not sure it'll be enough to change anything though. If its a money thing I doubt the Reddit powers will change their mind. Subs will open back up in a few days and for the majority it'll just be business as usual.

I�ve been around...