Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If neopets shut down without notice, where would that leave you?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    17h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

If neopets shut down without notice, where would that leave you?

As we all know, neopets isn't exactly the site it used to be. People talk about the possibility of site the site shutting down in the future pretty frequently these days, but what if it happened tomorrow?

Would you be losing contact with friends? losing a real-life income stream on unsold inventory disappearing? what about the thousands of $$ people(you?) have spent on NC? Your escape from the real world-gone.

People use the site for so many different reasons and its always been there for us for 20 years. Yeah, it breaks sometimes, even for a few days at a time occasionally....but it always comes back.

What about when it doesn't?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    70 times
    Time Online
    155d 7h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 21m
    Most of the friends I'd be sad to lose, I'm in touch with on facebook so it's no big deal there. Outside of that, I'd lose the money I had spent on NC (which has already happened when my main was frozen) and my go-to thing to do when I'm bored. I'd probably read more if I didn't have neo as a time-sink!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    69 times
    Time Online
    59d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    I would mourn my pixel babies like they were people.
    The money thing I know I'm never getting back what I spend on neo before I spend it so w/e there are worse hobbies.
    I dunno what I would play besides the anti social single players games I get absorbed in.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meepit For This Useful Post:

Achyfi (08-06-2019),Clefairy (08-06-2019),Erik. (08-07-2019),Menine (08-06-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I access more to remember the past. I had a good time playing Neopets when I was a child. Now the site does not have much news and remains the same always, but I do not think it will close, until I found it a long time ago and has not closed yet.
    I never spent a penny on the game haha

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I've probably spent US$1.5k on neo over the almost 18 years I've been playing, so I guess that would be lost? But :/ I've played online games before that I've spent a lot of money on (Pet Society on FB namely, lol) and I was fine when that shut down.

I like the kind of mindless pick your own goals nature of neo, but I could get them from playing a bit more animal crossing, so.

I'd be sad, but I'd get over it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    19d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    It honestly wouldn't really phase me, I have so many other hobbies and quit neopets frequently for long periods as it is.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I'd be pretty bummed - especially considering how much I've recently spent on buying my fave pets LOL. At least gimme a few more months/years to enjoy my pets and get my investment back hahahah

Pronouns
    she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    505 times
    Time Online
    222d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 53m
    I think that I would cry, I love my pets so much and I have many great memories.
    Of course I will miss the money I make, it helps me A LOOOT in real life. But, like OP said, the game is a escape, real life can be pretty hard and Neo is a great place to distract me. I never imagined myself being social in a virtual community before, neopets helped me a lot on dealing with my shyness and brought me great friends. The money I spend were worth it and I have no regrets.
    Something I do and I recommend to everybody: take as much screenies as you can from your account. They will be great memories on the future!
    Aww I'm not ready to leave neopets :'(

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Menine For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-07-2019),Pearl (08-06-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    18d 5h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I don't see this happening any time soon.

I'm pretty optimistic and feel like Neopets is a thing that's going to still be happening for a long time. If anything, it will keep being shuffled between companies who will try different ways to create value from it. Maybe someday it even ends up in the hands of people that just love it enough to keep it around if it ever stops being profitable. I dunno, I still love it, and I feel like as long as there are people who still love it, there will be support for it (and money behind it).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    153 times
    Time Online
    76d 3h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Honestly, I've been thinking about that lately and it really bums me out. For one thing, with the phasing out of Flash and the apparent lack of programmers within TNT, trophies might not be an achievable goal in the future and there goes one of my major hobbies. Not sure what I'll do without being able to work on my trophy collection.

And if the site went away entirely, I would be really sad. I have a lot of good memories on the site, including most of the good memories from my childhood, along with lots of old friends. Not being able to access any of that would be disappointing, and I have no idea where else I could find a similar game where I can work toward whatever goals I want. And I know that since I'm at college now and should be focusing on my future, I should be spending less time on Neopets anyway. But how will I procrastinate without it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brickhaus For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-07-2019)