Thread: Gamestop & Female Discrimination

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    They'd probably call for a police officer to talk to you lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    103/4
    Mentioned
    640 times
    Time Online
    15d 12h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    More people to talk to you

haha, seriously though. Don't steal things and don't let this affect you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The employees at Gamestop are generally incompetent at their job, seeing as how most of them are teens and young adults with little to no experience in the workforce. Or they don't take their job seriously.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    103/4
    Mentioned
    640 times
    Time Online
    15d 12h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I would go as far to call them incompetent. The ones around my house are very knowledgable and always help people, even women.

The older customers are the incompetent ones usually. Not know what game system is which or which game is which.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I have been to multiple gamestops in North Carolina, South Carolina, and West Virginia and everytime i walk into a gamestop I will be harassed by the employees if I need help with anything CONSTANTLY even if I tell them I dont need help and when a girl walks into the store they completely ignore her that seems pretty discriminatory to me I've had to help girls myself because the employee wouldn't answer their questions but I don't know maybe you don't consider it that way but I'm pretty sure the definition of it is treating one type of a person better than a different type of person because of them being different in some way such as gender, race etc....

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    7h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I wouldn't say that was discrimination, more like being incompetent. =\ I do agree with what the others said about wanting to be left alone unless I had a question, though.

I applied to work in a gamestop once... they ended up hiring a guy who knew little to nothing about anything. THAT pissed me off.

What REALLY boiled my kettle(yup, just said that) was working at Circuit City in the computer department... Guys would ask me to talk to a man. I just kinda looked at them thinking... I've been building, troubleshooting and repairing computers since I was fourteen... Seriously? I'd usually go find the most computer illiterate employee I could find.

For some reason my boss started scheduling me on the registers after that. XD
    - N -

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    As someone who works at the aus equivalent EB Games where female staff outnumber the male staff (4 vs 1), I can tell you they weren't ignoring you because your female.

You probably should have just walked up to the counter and look like you had a question or were going to buy something. I rarely approach customers because most of them just want to look and the ones that need help are either mothers or people really shuffling through games to find a particular one. I ask people how they are but if they don't really respond I leave them alone. Furthermore I often chat about latest games with the regulars and its usually a group discussion even if they come by and visit after school and are not necessarily buying something. Its the fun part of working at a games shop

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    EB Games is probably the equivalent in Canada too, I don't think I've ever really gotten ignored in there before. I generally don't have people coming up to me and try to make a sale, but if I do have a question or want to talk about something they're usually super nice about it. I think it'd be weird if I went into an EB Games and the clerks stopped a conversation with a guy they were already talking to to come over to me. Actually that would probably irritate me because then that would seem like I was singled out for being a girl D:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    12h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'd have to say that wasn't discrimination, just general unhelpfulness. You see it all the time in department stores and such. The idea that females don't play games is almost extinct, and isn't taken seriously 99% of the time.

There's a reason "girl gamers" are frowned upon.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    3h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I haven't really had that experience. Usually when I go into a gamestop there is a female working there. Even when there isn't, I couldn't really say I've been "discriminated" against because I go in being a female. xD.
    I've actually been hit on by a guy working there, he was into a lot of the rpgs I was trading in. xD.