Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    37d 16h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    The usual susp. activity Joe.

I figured that was a likely reason, but does anyone know how many IPs are handed out by Tor though as I didn't use my VPN on these.

That raises a good point though, I was actually thinking earlier how many of us share the same IPs as we all seem to use the same few VPNs, it will definitely be happening....

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

The ones I just logged into one time seem ok, it's the ones I re-visited that seem to have been flagged.
    There are 1000(0)(0)'s of Tor exit nodes around the world, you aren't likely to get the same IP as you used before. I think the issue with using tor is sometimes you're going to be logging in from random countries that probably have 10 or less active neopets players (Uruguay, Hungary, Ukraine, etc.) and the account was registered in the US, UK, etc. That's going to set up flags immediately. Tor will also change your connection randomly. VPNs shouldn't do this (and if they do you need a new VPN provider).

If they start freezing a lot of users for using VPNs, we'll all have to start bitching so they change it. VPNs are an important part of browsing the internet safely. They weren't created to get around Neopets rules, it's an added safety measure the insures your connection is secure and your ISP/advertisers can't build a profile on you and sell it to the highest bidder. Really everyone should be using a trusted VPN if they're on the internet.

I haven't logged into any accounts in a week or two using tor, but I'll go through and see if any are frozen. I usually just use tor while I'm password guessing, and once I'm in I won't login again without a VPN that has a connection located close to where they used to play.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infiniti For This Useful Post:

♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (02-08-2018),Witch (02-08-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    287d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
    There are 1000(0)(0)'s of Tor exit nodes around the world, you aren't likely to get the same IP as you used before. I think the issue with using tor is sometimes you're going to be logging in from random countries that probably have 10 or less active neopets players (Uruguay, Hungary, Ukraine, etc.) and the account was registered in the US, UK, etc. That's going to set up flags immediately. Tor will also change your connection randomly. VPNs shouldn't do this (and if they do you need a new VPN provider).

If they start freezing a lot of users for using VPNs, we'll all have to start bitching so they change it. VPNs are an important part of browsing the internet safely. They weren't created to get around Neopets rules, it's an added safety measure the insures your connection is secure and your ISP/advertisers can't build a profile on you and sell it to the highest bidder. Really everyone should be using a trusted VPN if they're on the internet.

I haven't logged into any accounts in a week or two using tor, but I'll go through and see if any are frozen. I usually just use tor while I'm password guessing, and once I'm in I won't login again without a VPN that has a connection located close to where they used to play.
    That's exactly what I was doing with Tor, just checking login details. However I did get lazy and login to a couple of accounts again with Tor rather than assigning an IP to that account with my VPN. I know it was lazy and completely avoidable

I just find it weird, I've done this in the past with accounts and they've never been frozen, but just this week it's happened to several.

No account that I have used my VPN with has been frozen and I can only place Tor as the link. Whether the fact that I used Tor multiple times and hence logged into the accounts with multiple IPs in varying locations, or whether as you said I was unlucky and got the same IP as someone else I don't know.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    106/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    111d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post

I was thinking the EXACT same thing lately.. has anyone ever used a VPN as an excuse/reason in a ticket about a frozen account (specifically for perhaps multi-account abuse or scamming)?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    37d 16h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Bitch View Post
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing lately.. has anyone ever used a VPN as an excuse/reason in a ticket about a frozen account (specifically for perhaps multi-account abuse or scamming)?
    Not that I've seen mentioned. I doubt it happens often because most people using a VPN aren't on their own created accounts so if it gets frozen they often move on (or their ticket doesn't get answered). Maybe it's a good thing to keep in mind though if you do happen to get frozen. I would offer to try using a couple accounts I have, but I would guess it would take months to get frozen for multiple accounts, then probably a year to get a reply from the ticket. And if I scammed myself, I wouldn't be getting my account back regardless. lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    8d 15h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Many people are trying to recover their old accounts :/ be careful

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zitilover For This Useful Post:

Infiniti (02-08-2018)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    22d 20h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Just had a personal account of mine frozen from logging in via Tor. A shame.
    (I've only ever logged into said account via Tor / created it myself)
    Last edited by Spunky; 02-14-2018 at 10:56 PM.