Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

idk what I�m doing

for real

so I�m tired of getting frozen for playing legit, hence me signing up and exploring this forum for a bit. I wanna start using programs but I am not savvy at any of this at all so tips would be great. I�m trying to get the hang of things before I start spending cold hard cash on it so I downloaded the vpn windscribe for now.

My biggest confusion lies with using the VPN: does it only protect me in browser or does it also protect me if I�m using a program? Windscribe has it as a browser extension as well as an application but it�s not set up through the Windows settings thing. I hope I�m getting my point across but like I said, I have no clue what any of this is lol
    I have the free version currently so it allows for like 10 gb of traffic or something, if that helps explain my confusion.

I tried looking around through the forums to see if there was an older post that could help me but I didn�t see anything.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    49/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    4d 2h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    The Windscribe program protects everything. Also the extension just protects the browser. Also try tunnelbear it is faster than windscribe.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
    The Windscribe program protects everything. Also the extension just protects the browser. Also try tunnelbear it is faster than windscribe.
    I just don’t understand how it protects it all, maybe I’m just overthinking this. I’m gonna try out windscribe until I need something better but I’ll keep tunnelbear in mind for the future!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    You only really need a VPN if you're dealing with multiple accounts. Most activity is fine to do with your normal IP; I have my main on my normal IP, but use a VPN if I am to access any of my other accounts. It makes it easier (and faster) for general day-to-day stuff. They won't protect you from silly mistakes, just prevent the chain banning that can come from linked IP accounts.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    You only really need a VPN if you're dealing with multiple accounts. Most activity is fine to do with your normal IP; I have my main on my normal IP, but use a VPN if I am to access any of my other accounts. It makes it easier (and faster) for general day-to-day stuff. They won't protect you from silly mistakes, just prevent the chain banning that can come from linked IP accounts.
    I understand that much but when I’m on another account and using a program, does the program use my IP or the VPN? Or does that not even matter and I’m confused for no reason? I wouldn’t wanna intertwine the two and get myself chain frozen.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    It depends. Private Internet Access, for instance, includes all activity on your computer (that's the one I use). So if I use a program while it is on, it is covered by the VPN. If it's a browser-based proxy though, that will not apply to programs. Many of our programs have the option for a proxy to be used, but that's a case-by-case basis.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Jumbo Shrimp (12-20-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    If you are using a program it will use your IP if you don't have a VPN program turned on, it will use the VPNs IP if the VPN program is turned on. A browser extension only changes the IP address of the specific browser you are logged into.

Basically if you have a VPN program and are running it, all of your internet data is routed through the VPN. Think of it as a virtual router. Any program you run routes through the VPN be it a java program, python bot, browser, etc. You can also see this if you go into your computer network settings. You'll see your regular internet router and you will see the VPN router.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stocking Anarchy For This Useful Post:

Jumbo Shrimp (12-20-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    If you are using a program it will use your IP if you don't have a VPN program turned on, it will use the VPNs IP if the VPN program is turned on. A browser extension only changes the IP address of the specific browser you are logged into.

Basically if you have a VPN program and are running it, all of your internet data is routed through the VPN. Think of it as a virtual router. Any program you run routes through the VPN be it a java program, python bot, browser, etc. You can also see this if you go into your computer network settings. You'll see your regular internet router and you will see the VPN router.
    I was using utorrent with windscribe on through the desktop application version and it was going through my normal IP and everything so I probably have to adjust the settings to reflect the VPN and not my router. Thank you for the clarity, it helped a lot!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by idkwhatimdoing View Post
    I was using utorrent with windscribe on through the desktop application version and it was going through my normal IP and everything so I probably have to adjust the settings to reflect the VPN and not my router. Thank you for the clarity, it helped a lot!
    You can always check your ip addy by going to (you need an account to see links) it will let you know if your regular ip is being read or it is a VPN ip.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    You can always check your ip addy by going to (you need an account to see links) it will let you know if your regular ip is being read or it is a VPN ip.
    Yeah I've been doing that just to make sure since I'm super paranoid. The VPN has a free "limit" of 10 GB though and when I was torrenting stuff, the number didn't change so I think I'm just having issues with the program itself and I'll have to get a different one.