7/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Organic Chemistry help?

I'm on a chapter where there's just like 20 reactions and their mechanisms to memorize. They're Alcohols and Ethers, and here are some links to them:
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)
    If anyone here's had any experience with Organic Chemistry, do you have any advice on remembering these? The test is coming up quickly!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    10d 13h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Well this depends on your level but I received organic chemistry at uni and here is some stuff that can help:

- Never forget the C can only hold 4 chemical bonds, it might seem obvious but with the nerves of the exam you can make mistakes with double or triple bonds when there are alkenes or alkynes
    - Always take in count Baeyer's angle strain theory of the most stable C (3�>2�>1�), because you can do the substitution and the mechanism well but you place the alkyl group it in the least stable C so it won't be correct
    - This one is more up to you, but I think bond line structures are easier to understand and takes less time to make
    - When naming them don't forget the functional group with the more priority have to get the lower number as possible, (you need an account to see links) is a table with the IUPAC priority order
    - I will prioritize to memorize reagents and product for every reaction than the whole mechanism cause most of the reactions follows the same mechanism of substitution so if you forget one mechanism you just go and follow the general rules of substitution, but if you forget the formula of reagents... oh my friend you fucked up. Some products are more important that others, but I would always recommend to put them all eve if it's just a H cause some teachers can very strict with that
    - Do chain reactions as an exercise. This was a common thing in my exams, you would see this if you are in more advanced level but even if you don't it helps you a lot to encounter different situations not just a simple alkane with an alkyl group
    - Don't mistake phenol with alcohols

English is not my first language so I hope I made myself clear and this can help a little bit

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Polux For This Useful Post:

Loval (12-28-2018),Midas (12-24-2018),scornty (12-06-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Thanks Polux! I'm going to memorize the reagents and products for all the reactions, then review the relevant mechanisms. Hope I do well on the test tomorrow!