DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I personally think it 100% depends on the field you want to get into.

I went to undergrad and studied English because I wanted an education, experience, and to study something I loved. I figured if I was going to school just to get a job I could've gone to a tech school. And English seemed well rounded enough. After graduation I was working full time in retail and making decent money, but I was miserable, so I went back to school to get a master's in Library and Information Science. (I did my masters all online while working full time so it's possible, but you won't get the "college" experience)

My current job required a master's degree in my field, but the pay is no where near what it should be for me to make a dent in a loans. So a degree does not always equal more money (especially if you're in some kind of social or public service). There's room to move up and make more money eventually, once people start retiring (I'm younger than the rest of [most of] my coworkers by 20-30 years).

On the alternative - most days I really find joy in my work, and I think that's rare. So it's a trade off.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Entirely depends on the field. If you are looking at more high up managerial positions or higher then they would likely look for someone with more education. But if the job outlook is limited to only certain positions and again limited in the quantity being made available then it might not be worth the mental and financial stress.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-25-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    I've started my Masters in a field just left of my career. I have a Bachelor of Secondary Education and I'm doing my Master of Applied Linguistics. I chose to do it because it is far more interesting than a Master of Education, but still looks very good on my CV for promotions etc. In total, it'll cost me less than $5k, so that's worth it for me.

It depends on if you have time/inclination to study/money/it'll help with your career.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    8d 15h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I have a baby and work full-time, I take 10 credits per semester. It’s not impossible, you just need to be determined.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zitilover For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    23d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I think it totally depends on what you want to do, what field you�re in, and etc. I�m currrently getting my masters in physician assistant studies, a degree that is invaluable in my position. I can�t go into medicine and do what I want to do without higher education, so it�s totally worth it to me. However my friend in business and finance, a masters probably wouldn�t be all that beneficial to him. In that field it�s more a matter of getting your feet wet, gaining experience, forming connections, and etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Raichuu For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Thanks for all the opinions everyone.
    I know I definitely CAN do it while working full time, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I've taken 12-15 credits and worked full time for part of undergrad. The main issue I'm trying to work out is whether dropping from the working world for a year/year and a half would hurt my career more than help it. My bachelors is in cybersecurity and my masters would further that with either policies or network engineering perhaps; undecided.

I figure now is the time though, before I get too caught up with other things.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to pursue a masters degree.

Low key considering stepping out of the working world for a year/year and a half and throwing myself completely into furthering my education a bit more. Also kinda want to get that big school experience considering most of my classes were online or via community college for my bachelors.

Taking money out of the picture, I'm trying to decide whether to just keep working and progressing that way or going this alternate route.

Has anybody here gone through graduate school or is going through it now?

Looking to get more opinions on this realistically. Am I just being crazy?
    PM me - have I got a story for you. Wrapped up my Masters 1 year ago after working for 3 years post undergrad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    34d 11h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by plsmy1 View Post
    Also kinda want to get that big school experience considering most of my classes were online or via community college for my bachelors.
    It's really nothing special, in my experience the teachers at university seemed apathetic and it wasn't very personal at all. I preferred my community college experience over my university experience.

Personally, I'm going to go into law enforcement in the near future, I've got my bachelor's degree and now that I've done my Army time I'll have my GI bill if I ever want to go for my masters (although that would help me progress/get promoted, I would mostly want it to teach Criminal Justice at a community college/online when I retire). Mostly waiting on my girlfriend to finish school/for us to move before I start my career though, so I've got about a year to burn in the interim, unfortunately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (11-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I think most people have gotten in some solid points. I'll just share some of my own from my experience.

I'm almost done with my masters in computer science. I'm only working at it one class at a time since I'm still working my full time day job. My motivations aren't about money at all but rather because this is something I wanted to do. I've taken classes as well as worked with legendary figures who publish whitepapers in graphics, AI, and machine learning and really enjoyed the experience. For me, even after graduation, I'll never be finished learning.

I highly advocate free or very cheap (<$100) classes out there (Udacity, Coursera, Udemy are favorites) that offer quality material and assignments that often aren't worth credit but will offer structured learning platforms. Some also have social integration with chat boards for class takers. It's not the same as an actual university but certainly worth your time if you want to learn about a topic at your own pace. I've also found with some of these free classes that I got more out of their material than the physical classroom in my masters though I might say that the extra material complements class time.

I didn't do an online masters but I've seen ones that are cheap. Georgia Tech had one that promised like $700 per class ($7k total) that I considered before going with my current physical school (largely due to the tuition assistance from employer for specific schools that might get wiped out in the new govt tax bill but I'm almost done anyway so it doesn't matter).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tcas4200 For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (12-05-2017),j03 (12-04-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 9h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Thanks for all the opinions everyone.
    I know I definitely CAN do it while working full time, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I've taken 12-15 credits and worked full time for part of undergrad. The main issue I'm trying to work out is whether dropping from the working world for a year/year and a half would hurt my career more than help it. My bachelors is in cybersecurity and my masters would further that with either policies or network engineering perhaps; undecided.

I figure now is the time though, before I get too caught up with other things.
    Is there an academic/career advisor at your school of choice?