Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 9h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    Trades, best learning tool imo for common sense and for later down the road!

To get into the trades where I live you usually need post secondary education or at least a variety of safety courses (WHMIS, Fall Arrest, Confined Spaces, First Aid, etc) for just a laborer job! I assumed that was standard for some reason!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    10h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I was an assistant for an important person at my college. It was so boring, but the pay was good. Not doing it again though because it has nothing to do with my major. It was just work to get money. After moving to New Zealand I found better job with a help of recruiting agency (you need an account to see links) here in Auckland. Currently I work as a contractor in building industry. I have great carrer opportunities and I really like my job.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2d 21h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    got an unpaid internship at a laptop and computer repair shop on the way out of technical college, and got recommended to work under a DoD network technician contract before graduating. i realize how unusually fortunate i was and often think about how nearly all of my class didnt get anything but student loan payments for their struggle. started out six dollars below average, which really shook my confidence though it was to be expected, but the prime contract lead was afraid of people in the subcontract quitting, so i was put up for a second raise that shot me up to slightly above average.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    while it isnt glamorous, fast food and retail are usually good to build up a cv with. if youre going for a certain career, it might help to aim for retail jobs close to that career. such as, working towards being a vet would see you applying to more pet stores and the like.

retail jobs can be your best friend or your worst enemy; my sister currently works retail, and shes not having the time of her life per se, but shes having a good time compared to her last retail job where her manager bullied her and pretty much all of the other staff except one girl who she was related to. before that, she did have a great time with a christmas temp job in a tech store. the customers will always be shitty, because nobody fuckin respects workers especially not at the holidays, but your enjoyment of the job is entirely dependent on your coworkers and higher-ups.

and i mean, at the end of the day, youre still getting money. who cares if you stink of grease or have retail money hands, youre still getting paid and getting experience. kinda sad its come down to that sort of thing, but hey, thats capitalism!!!!

the only place i wouldnt recommend is amazon. ive never heard a single good thing about amazon, or wal-mart/target warehouses. in general, warehouse jobs seem to be ones to avoid unless you really need the money, because your bosses universally do not want you to enjoy working there, they just want a job done with minimal resources. thats why they threaten you if you try to start a workers union LOL.

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3d 3h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Mine was working a vegetable stand for a farm. It was outdoors in the summer so it did get kind of hot, but I when there weren't customers around I got to just sit there and read, so I basically got paid to read books. It was nice.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    200/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    66d 8h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    My first job was Burger King.

One of the worst jobs ever. Had me working till 3am at 16yrs old (which is illegal in my state) and LOTS more. Just terrible.

Look for admin jobs. Desk jobs are great to start out with and GREAT if ya wanna play Neopets all day at work HAHAHAHA
    (I am a bookkeeper)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 8h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The best first job ever for me was McDonald's. It gets so much shade but seriously it was great.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    17h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My first job ever was trading CS;GO skins. It took a while, but I managed to make around $30-$40 every couple days. Sadly, you can't do that now, so that's a bummer

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    My first job was either at a pizza place or as counselor at a day camp. I can’t remember which one came first. Realistically, nothing you do for your first job will be something absolutely love.. unless you’re really lucky. It’s just a means to an end - gotta get that money.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 13h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I know I'm late, but still.

1. You're 17. Don't worry about your intended future career. I mean, definitely keep it in mind, especially if there's something you've always dreamed of doing, but I turned down jobs in my teens because they had nothing to do with what I wanted my career to be. Don't make the same mistake I did.

2. Any career in the service industry is going to have its shitty aspects. Especially retail or food service. But, they're always hiring. If you're in America and near a major city, I suggest waiting tables. Hourly pay will be less than minimum, but on busy nights, my friends on wait staff made 3-4 times what I made as a line cook. Most of them easily doubled what I made each week.

And 3. There's no such thing as an easy job. Some are less difficult than others, but no matter where you are, at one point you will find yourself questioning whether or not you want to quit. Stick with it for at least a week more, and if you still want to quit, then make your call.

Best of luck, and I hope this wasn't too late to be useful!