24/0
    Mentioned
    88 times
    Time Online
    22d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

[+Rep] Help with choosing+buying a new Android phone? [+Rep]

Figured you guys might have relevant experience with this. Especially if anyone here has worked at AT&T? I apologize in advance if this is rambling as I have no idea what I'm doing. Hopefully some +rep makes up for that.

I've been using a second hand Samsung S5 for about 2 years. Was in great shape when I got it but now the screen is cracked, the battery is puffy+doesn't hold a consistent charge, and the charging cord is frayed almost to the point of sparking. In other words, it is no longer reliable and I don't want to put money in to fixing it.

I have AT&T on a family plan and an upgrade slot available.

Things I do with my phone that may or not be relevant:
    -I rarely use my phone for anything besides web browsing on Chrome, while on wifi. That is the only downloaded app I use.
    -I throw my phone. A lot. I need to be able to drop it from waist height onto a wood/linoleum floor with no problems... this happens multiple times a week.
    -I keep my phone in my pocket with keys.

Things I want:
    -Watch/stream HD videos no problem... Current quality on my phone is fine and it's 3 years old so this is probably a non-issue
    -Be able to fit it in my pocket. Light gel/soft case and glass screen protector are what I'll put on it.
    -Honestly I have no idea what phones cost or what it means that I have an upgrade available on my plan but something "reasonable"

No interest in Apple or really anything besides Samsung as it's all I've known since going from a flip phone.
    Recommendations on a model/what would you want?
    Is there a particularly good time to buy (black friday??) or no? Would like to get it before Christmas.

Thank you for reading!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    156/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    19d 18h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I've used Samsung Galaxy S7 and currently have S8 (both are similar). I've had no issues browsing/streaming or fitting it in my pocket. (with or without keys)

Battery isn't fantastic but hard to compare without having anything else apart from Samsung myself, the fast-charging however is very good for a fast charge... a I've had no issues with charging cables.

I dropped my S8 on it's back from desk height to floor (carpet) and it cracked a little of the back. I have since bought myself a phone case that goes around the phone, and it's what I'd advise with a phone that breaks as easy. (I can find one on Amazon if you like)

Not sure if it's what you want but cameras are superb as a side note.

I assume Black Friday will have a deal on for it somewhere, so yeah probably a good time to be looking... build up to Christmas sales as a fall back too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iMastery For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-03-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    If you have the credit, you can get the S8+ (newest Samsung on the market right now) for less than $40 a month. It has 4 GB of RAM and 32(I think) GB of storage. That would be plenty for what you use it for. You can get a nice hard case and a rhino glass screen protector for pretty cheap as well. I personally bought an unlocked Moto G4 Play, and so far it has exceeded my expectations. I bought it with no contract, in full, for $120. WELL worth it.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-03-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    LG G5. I've abused this phone and it only has a few scratches on the metallic part of the phone. Chrome works fine on it too. Battery life is okay, but you can at least change the battery out on this phone.

Screen is great on it - videos come through super clean. The camera is solid as well with the dual feature. I like it especially for concerts.

I think it should fit just fine in any normal sized pocket.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-03-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    37d 16h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Definitely go with the black friday upgrade if you can wait that long. I did that about 4 years ago and I always end up walking out with extra free stuff (last year I got a free VR headset, wireless charging dock, and a 128g SD). They always have specials so it works out pretty well when your due for an upgrade the same day they're already giving stuff away for people to sign up.

As far as phones, I think the S7 or S8 would work for you. Invest in an otterbox (the legit ones, not the $10 ones) and it'll last until the internals go. The new Razer looks amazing, but it is probably overkill for what you do with your phone. You should look into Huawei and Xiaomi phones as well. You'll have to do some research to figure out what you want, and a call or two to make sure it will work with AT&T, but you can get an awesome performing phone for less than half the price of the name brand Androids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Infiniti For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If you can wait for a bit, I suggest wait for Black Friday Deals for S8. Since you still wanna Samsung, I suggest go for S7 or S8 depends on your budget. If you're okay with other brand, check out Xiaomi. It's cheap and the UI is beautiful.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spacezeus For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    88 times
    Time Online
    22d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Thank you for the replies!

I will look into Huawei and Xiaomi and see if they are on AT&T. I don't think credit is an issue; I bring up AT&T because I think part of my contract is that I can upgrade my phone every 30mos or something like that and get a new phone for free/very cheap. I think I need to set up an appointment at my local att store and ask about that... maybe they can tell me about upcoming black friday deals as well.

I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S7 right now but I'll check in with price differences between that and other models.

Pronouns
    it
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    79/1
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Samsung S8 is pretty nice but a bit on the expensive side

I find that alcatel phones are pretty good quality for there cheap price tag
    My daughter has one and its been thrown, dropped, chewed and gets used all day every day. Its still working fine! Never had battery issues (I think samsung batteries are shite), pretty good quality screen for watching shit and still small enough to fit in your pocket without popping out too much

Hope this helps!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sezy For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-09-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    20d 5h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I HATE otterboxes; but a good case is necessary.

(you need an account to see links)
    (I have this one with a tempered glass protector; but it looks like it only comes in purple now.)
    I have 3 kids and am a klutz. I've lost count of how many times I've dropped it =/
    Did just have to replace the glass protector, but much better than a screen.

I chose the s7 over the 8 when I upgraded last due to cost, but also due to some random quirky preferences (it's been awhile, so I forgot specifics.)

The screen on the 7 is gorgeous. I upgraded from an s4.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maelstra For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-09-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    298 times
    Time Online
    30d 23h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Tardy to the party but tbh I'd go with an unlocked phone.
    (Otterboxes can save your life as well these cases are bomb.)

I've had my Samsung Galaxy J5 for about 3 years now and it only cost me 170 USD.
    That probably seems like a lot but I can take it to literally any carrier and it's an international model in case one day I actually see the world.
    (lets be honest thats not happening but i have the /option/ )

It's got 16gbs, dual sim slots and I had it a year without a case b/c im stupid and i dropped it multiple times. Screen never even scratched.
    (i have a case now b/c im not testing my limits but hey whatever works right)

If you're looking for Samsungs but don't want to get too expensive try the Samsung Galaxy J series; not as big or flashy as the S series but is still really nice.

Why, yes. The world does revolve around me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Air For This Useful Post:

Graff (11-09-2017)