Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Book/Book Series?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    12d 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dream View Post
    In late, it's been difficult for me to sit down with a book. Time, interest, other obligations and hobbies all get in the way, and I've the tendency of going for more tried-and-true ways to spend my time rather than try something new. But if I get into a book that's interesting, I'm often hooked until I finish it.
    (And if anyone knows my habits with finishing things, I either burn through it in one go, or take an incredibly long time to get anything done!)

I think Fahrenheit 451 is still my favorite book overall.
    I was made to read it for high school, and I ended up just falling in love with the premise, commentary and descriptions: everything about it, really.

I do want to go back and re-read War of the Worlds, too: I sat down to read it when stranded at the airport once, finished it in a single sitting, and I remember having a wonderful time of it. It's just a really enjoyable example of the basic alien invasion premise as told by a bystander, and that bystander's journey through an incredibly chaotic Britain.
    I love Fahrenheit 451! I saw this the other day and thought this was so cool (you need an account to see links)

My favorite book has to be Catch-22. "Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them."

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Not an avid book reader. I love Game of Thrones book series a lot more than TV series.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Harry Potter and The Hunger Games are two of my favorite series. I hope it's not weird of me to imagine myself in those scenarios as I read about them, haha.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    40d 22h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is amazing.
    Of course Harry Potter series.
    Anything from Johanna Lindsay.
    Legend of the Seeker books by Terry Goodkind
    Elizabeth Peters has a great mystery series about 1900's era egyptologists and it's incredibly written.

Just started a new to me series by Heather Graham and so far I like it.

I really enjoy books in a series so the characters I read about are still present in the storyline.
    oh my god, someone here mentioned Sword of Truth (i always call it that in my mind instead of Legend of the Seeker, which makes me think too much of the TV series)

hmm favourite book right now... would be Fingersmith by Sarah Waters? (not perfect, but 4/5, and a very enjoyable + surprisingly easy read)

also would recommend Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick, which is about the lives of ordinary North Korean defectors, and is a real piece of fucking skilled journalism

umm also 1984 by my boy george, but we've all heard or read haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isabella For This Useful Post:

Lyric (11-22-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    10h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    One of my fav books is Shantaram by Grogory David Roberts
    amazing book about India. It's worth eading at least once

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    23d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I like a lot of different books and series, but I am very fond of the Maze Runner trilogy. I really love The Perks of Being a Wallflower... Hunger Games... Divergent... The Art of Racing in the Rain... idk the list is endless. xD I�ll have to get around to compiling a complete list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    34d 11h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    The Stand by Stephen King is my favorite book I've read. When I was a kid, we had a points-based system where you had to read books and take a quiz on them. I think the whole semester you had to earn 57 points and The Stand was worth 72, hah.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I think the only book series ive ever read is Harry Potter and that is my all time favorite

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    14d 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I will always hold a special place in my heart for Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - so glad that I read it at home instead of in class because I cried like a baby! Also absolutely anything by V.C Andrews as well, I loved her classic Flowers in the Attic but I adore her The Casteel series one more.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Red face

Ooh I actually quite enjoy reading and have read some great ones. I'll give some recommendations to those of you who are interested, although most of the books I am into are classics, horror, and/or dystopians. Additionally, a lot of these books have some adult themes and content so if you're younger than high school age or a bit sensitive with these things I'd probably look at other recommendations, just a fair warning.

viejitoo recommendations:
    • The Cask of Amontillado - Edgar Allen Poe
      A very pleasant, classic short story that's easy to digest though written in somewhat antiquated terms.
    • The Awakening - Kate Chopin
      Classic feminist novel about a woman who goes through a "sexual" awakening and has an affair on her husband, is quite tragic and interesting.
    • The Secret History - Donna Tartt
      A bit of a long story about eccentric and wealthy college students who commit a crime. Has a lot of Greek mythology references and is a "whodunnit/whydunnit" type mystery.
    • Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
      Classic romance novel that is somewhat difficult to digest and can be a bit slow at times but is extremely powerful and one of the greatest pieces of English Literature.
    • My Sweet Audrina - V.C. Andrews
      I would recommend most of V.C. Andrews's books, however they do often contain quite sensitive material including dysfunctional families, incest, murder, sex scenes, etc. Not for a young reader, extremely easy to read. The Flowers in the Attic and Heaven Leigh Casteel series are some of her best. I chose My Sweet Audrina however as it's a standalone and will give you a good idea of her writing style and the content that she has, and is also one of my favorite books by her.
    • Kissing the Rain - Kevin Brooks
      This one is geared towards a younger audience but I remember it being extremely emotional and powerful for me, is about a young, shy, overweight kid who is bullied and witnesses a crime and the aftermath of what happens.
    • Lucas - Kevin Brooks
      Another younger audience geared book that is a romance novel and deals a lot with loss, tragedy, and the power of a first love. Made me cry when I read it.
    • A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
      A very raw, somewhat adult book about two women's lives as they grow and live in Afghanistan through the war and are married off to the same abusive man. It's a romance, tragedy and can be difficult to read at times.
    • The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
      About a young friendship and boy's life as he grows up in Afghanistan. Has extremely sensitive subject material and is not for super young audiences.
    • Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
      A scifi fantasy novel about a young boy who essentially has to fight for and defend his people through a series of increasingly difficult and competitive games.
    • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
      A very complex, difficult to digest classic dystopian novel that deals with a society of genetically engineered humans, how it functions as well as the political nature of said society and different stories of those who are born in the ranks of that world.
    • The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
      One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE short stories that brought me to tears many times. It's about a man who one day wakes up as a bug and how his family reacts to it. It's extremely devastating to read honestly and I wouldn't read it if you are suffering with any mental issues (specifically depression) as personally it was quite upsetting.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy these. Oh, one last bonus book that I've always been dying to read but unfortunately I'm overseas and I don't want to read it in a foreign language is called House Of Leaves. It's not a traditional book and the words on the page are written out strangely, backwards, diagonally, in circles, etc. its more of a game as well as a horror novel.
    Last edited by viejitoo; 12-20-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Stylistic purposes