Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Book/Book Series?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    9d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    1. Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling (My first book ever! I grew up learning English with this book)
    2. Starcrossed [and it's series] by Josephine Angelini (Honestly, I'm a sucker for fantasy-related novels)
    3. Wintersong by S. Jae-jones (I love love LOVE this book. But the English is sometimes too hard for me to understand. Bittersweet ending tho)

I have tons more but for the love of god I can't remember their titles

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    17h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My first love was the Ender's Game series. I also really like the first Foundation book, and I'm really getting into Hyperion right now. The first 3 (or 4?) Dune books are up there as well. I love hard sci-fi.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    not really a series or specific book per say but i am a huge fan of john grisham's works.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    7h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My favorite series so far that I've picked up is The Horus Heresy , a novel series based in the Warhammer 40k universe.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    13d 7h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I'm going to go with The Alchemist by Paul Coelho. That book can change your life man. If we are trying to sound smart, I also like Crime and punishment by Dostoevsky.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by viejitoo View Post
    Ooh I actually quite enjoy reading and have read some great ones. I'll give some recommendations to those of you who are interested, although most of the books I am into are classics, horror, and/or dystopians. Additionally, a lot of these books have some adult themes and content so if you're younger than high school age or a bit sensitive with these things I'd probably look at other recommendations, just a fair warning.

viejitoo recommendations:
    • The Cask of Amontillado - Edgar Allen Poe
      A very pleasant, classic short story that's easy to digest though written in somewhat antiquated terms.
    • The Awakening - Kate Chopin
      Classic feminist novel about a woman who goes through a "sexual" awakening and has an affair on her husband, is quite tragic and interesting.
    • The Secret History - Donna Tartt
      A bit of a long story about eccentric and wealthy college students who commit a crime. Has a lot of Greek mythology references and is a "whodunnit/whydunnit" type mystery.
    • Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
      Classic romance novel that is somewhat difficult to digest and can be a bit slow at times but is extremely powerful and one of the greatest pieces of English Literature.
    • My Sweet Audrina - V.C. Andrews
      I would recommend most of V.C. Andrews's books, however they do often contain quite sensitive material including dysfunctional families, incest, murder, sex scenes, etc. Not for a young reader, extremely easy to read. The Flowers in the Attic and Heaven Leigh Casteel series are some of her best. I chose My Sweet Audrina however as it's a standalone and will give you a good idea of her writing style and the content that she has, and is also one of my favorite books by her.
    • Kissing the Rain - Kevin Brooks
      This one is geared towards a younger audience but I remember it being extremely emotional and powerful for me, is about a young, shy, overweight kid who is bullied and witnesses a crime and the aftermath of what happens.
    • Lucas - Kevin Brooks
      Another younger audience geared book that is a romance novel and deals a lot with loss, tragedy, and the power of a first love. Made me cry when I read it.
    • A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
      A very raw, somewhat adult book about two women's lives as they grow and live in Afghanistan through the war and are married off to the same abusive man. It's a romance, tragedy and can be difficult to read at times.
    • The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
      About a young friendship and boy's life as he grows up in Afghanistan. Has extremely sensitive subject material and is not for super young audiences.
    • Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
      A scifi fantasy novel about a young boy who essentially has to fight for and defend his people through a series of increasingly difficult and competitive games.
    • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
      A very complex, difficult to digest classic dystopian novel that deals with a society of genetically engineered humans, how it functions as well as the political nature of said society and different stories of those who are born in the ranks of that world.
    • The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
      One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE short stories that brought me to tears many times. It's about a man who one day wakes up as a bug and how his family reacts to it. It's extremely devastating to read honestly and I wouldn't read it if you are suffering with any mental issues (specifically depression) as personally it was quite upsetting.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy these. Oh, one last bonus book that I've always been dying to read but unfortunately I'm overseas and I don't want to read it in a foreign language is called House Of Leaves. It's not a traditional book and the words on the page are written out strangely, backwards, diagonally, in circles, etc. its more of a game as well as a horror novel.
    Ah, A Poe fan! I have the coolest Rw pet in Neopia but only Poe readers seem to know what the word even means. It's depressing that no-one knows what seems a basic word yo me but I dc cause I'm never trading him anyway. Nice l8st btw.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    10h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Good Omens.

It's the funniest book I have ever read. It's about the Son of Satan. Satan sends his son up to earth so that it can take over the world after it is raised by saitanists. However there is a mix up at the hospital. So the baby is raised by an average Christian family and he starts to discover his power.

The best part of the book is the relationship between the two main characters: The Demon and The Angel.

Highly recommend.
    Written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    189/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    35d 23h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I read the harry potter series and I loved it, but my favorite books are the Lord of the rings im a big fan

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    I really love the Tiger's Curse Saga by Colleen Houck, it's been a really nice break from other stuff that I've read and it's a pretty easy read too. I've not finished the series 'cause I haven't picked up the last book yet but I really love it and urge everyone to at least give it a try.

Also Lord of the Rings, always Lord of the Rings. <3

Pronouns
    he/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 12h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I really liked the Gregor the Overlander series as a kid, and since I don't read much anymore I'd still say it's my favorite. lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    4d 11h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    even though it has a middleschool audience, i still love the warriors cat series. they're so fun to reread and the character development in them is amazing! i personally am not a fan of the newer books due to the "super powers" some of the cats get, but i still like reading them regardless.