Resume Help! (+rep & maybe payment?)
I've never written a resume before. I'm about to apply for a job that I'd really like, and it requires a resume. I'd like someone to either help me write one or make me a template I can fill in. The thing I'm having trouble with is the objective, everything else is pretty simple.
Tips are also appreciated.
If you write me one and you'd like payment, we can discuss something.
Wow, I knew my comm. tech. course would come in handy for something..
Just last week I was taught how to make a resume, professionally.
Edit: Was checking my school website for the class notes and of course, it goes down. If I can get them I'll send em, if not I'll write you a PM. This is for both cover letters and resumes too.
Thanks so much! You rock!
If you have Microsoft word, they have resume templates you can use and basically just fill in your information in the spots they give you. It has been awhile since I have done it, but I am pretty sure they have professional resumes as one of the templates.
- Rep Power
Well good luck on the new job!
A sample one from my uncle who helped me
Hope this template would aid you in some ways!
A) Personal Particulars
• Marital Status:
• Country of Birth:
• Email Address:
• Contact Tel Numbers:
1. Diploma in Mechanical Engineering - 27 August 1977 from the Singapore Polytechnic
2. Advance Diploma in Building Services Engineering - 25 Aug 1992 from the Ngee Ann Polytechnic
3. Master of Science in Building Services Engineering - 13 July 1995 from the Brunel University, United Kingdom.
4. Graduate Diploma in Management for Technology – May 1993 from Singapore Institue of Engineering Technologists (following the Master of Science in Engineering’s course syllabus of the International University, Missouri)
5. Master of Science in Engineering Management – 9 July 1993 from The International University, Missouri.
6. Certificate in Fire Safety Managers’ course conducted by the SCDF and Ngee Ann Polytechnics 29 March 1995 to 8 June 1995
C) Membership of Professional Institutions
1. Member of The Institute of Engineers and Technicians, UK– 18 Nov 1989
2. Member of The Institution of International Engineers, UK – 24 Nov 1989
3. Member of The Institution of Plant Engineers, UK - 1 May 1990
4. Fellow Member of the Singapore Institute of Engineering Technologists – 10 Sept 1993
D) Courses attended:
1. Certificate in Fire Prevention and Protection of Building Course conducted by the SCDF and Fire Safety Managers’ Association from 19 April 1993 to 24 May 1993
2. Certificate in Fire Safety Managers’ Course Conducted by the SCDF and Ngee Ann Polytechnic from 29 March 1995 to 8 June 1995
3. Certificate of attendance – Practical Application of Land Titles (Strata) Act conducted by the Singapore Polytechnic from 9 October 200 to 3 November 2000
4. Fire Safety Managers’ Refresher Course by SCDF on 6 August 2001
5. Fire Safety and Shelter Bureau Seminar on 16 April 2003
6. Fire Safety Managers’ Continuing Education Course organized by the Fire Safety managers’ Association on 13 Aug 2003
7. Certificate of Attendance – Structural Inspection and Assessment of buildings on 6 Oct 2006
8. Fire Safety & Civil Emergency Preparedness Seminar 2008 organized by the National Fire and Civil Emergency Preparedness Council (NFEC) on 21 Aug 2008
9. Singapore Civil Defence Force – In Place Protection on 28 October 2009
10. Fire & Rescue Course for CERT (Hazmat Industries) from 1 Mar 2011 to 3 Mar 2011 organised by the SCDF – 30 points (eligible to practice as FSM until 2016)
E) Working Experience
1. July 1968 to July 1978 - Technician (Mech) PWD
2. Aug 1978 to Nov 1981 - Production Supervisor, Hume Industries (S) Ltd
Involved in the production of asbestos cement building products and structural
3. Dec 1981 to Jan 1986 - Assistant Engineer, Automobile Association of Singapore
In charge of the 24 hours breakdown department, valuation of vehicles, conduct car
maintenance & engine tuning courses and represented the People’s Association, the
Registry of Vehicles and the Automobile Association to give talks on car maintenance and engine tuning during the Energy Conservation Campaigns.
4. Feb 1986 to May 1986 – Senior Maintenance Officer /Dept Head, Orchard Hotel
a) Supervise and delegate duties to Section Heads.
b) Plan, schedule and co-ordinate all preventive maintenance and repair works.
c) Liaise with general contractors, other department/sections and government bodies.
d) Assist to carry out energy audit and implement energy conversation techniques.
e) Provide necessary training to the Engineering staff for upgrading purposes and update their knowledge.
5. May 1986 to Oct 1988 - Maintenance & Engineering Manager, Orchard Hotel
To lead and oversee a team of technical personnel of the Engineering Department to carry out preventive maintenance of plant, M & E equipment and building. Responsible for the day-to-day property related management & maintenance works and to implement and review related procedures and policies. To also liaise with architects, internal designers and management on hotel upgrading project work
6. Oct 1988 to Aug 1991 - Building Maintenance Manager with Orchard Maintenance (Pte) Ltd (a subsidiary company of the Far East Organisation) – involved in the property management and maintenance of Far East Shopping Centre for MCST 397
7. Sept 1991 to Jan 1994 - Assistant Manager (Engineering) / Dept Head (Engrg) – Scotts Holding Limited / Palm Court Serviced Apartments
Lead and oversee a team of technical personnel of the Engineering Department in the management and maintenance of plant and equipment. Responsible for the day-to-day property related management & maintenance works and to implement and review facility related procedures and policies. To also liaise with architects, internal designers and management on serviced apartments upgrading project work
8. Feb 1994 - Aug 1995 - Chief Engineer, Amara Hotel
Lead and oversee a team of technical personnel of the Engineering Department in the management and maintenance of plant and equipment . Responsible for the day-to-day property related management & maintenance works and to implement and review facility related procedures and policies. To also liaise with architects, internal designers and management on hotel upgrading project work
10. Sept 1995 to Oct 1997 -- Maintenance and Engineering Manager, River View
Lead and oversee a team of technical personnel of the Engineering Department in the management and maintenance of plant and equipment. Responsible for the day-to-day property management & maintenance works and to implement and review facility related procedures and policies. To also liaise with architects, internal designers and management on hotel upgrading project work
11. Nov 1997 to 15 Nov 2011 – Senior Property Manager and Fire Safety Manager, MCST
a) Oversee a team of technical personnel of the Engineering Department in the management and maintenance of plant and equipment of Peace Centre (Front Podium – 7 storeys, Rear Podium – 10 storeys) and Peace Mansion – 32 storeys.
b) Implementation of preventive program of M & E plants and equipment, the By-Laws of the MCST, the Building Maintenance and Management Act, the Fire Safety Acts and the compliance with the requirements of the relevant authorities
c) Review and propose on the upgrading and retrofitting of assets within the complex
d) Conduct routine inspection to recommend preventive measures and improvement.
e) Attend to complaints of the subsidiary proprietors/occupiers.
f) Co-ordinate and supervise contractors at work, including breakdown repairs, maintenance/upgrading/ renovation. Plan, coordinate and execute retrofitting works
g) Review contract specification, preparing of annual operation and capital budget.
h) Prepare and write meeting minutes and attend to General Meetings.
F) Expected Salary : Negotiable
The Following User Says Thank You to sparkling For This Useful Post:
Microsoft publisher has many templates that you can use, they have a sort of fill in the blanks type thing. With the wording of it I can help you on somethings that I know of. Saying punctual instead of on time sounds more professional, and little things like that.
Just replace the #'s with bullets in the example posted.
follow sparklings post, just edit and replace where necessary, but keep this in mind, there are different types of resumes, and not all of them need the objectives part, try googling, that's what i did when i need to do a resume, i can always find a template to use on there, and edit/replace where necessary
Couldn't find the papers we got in class but that's what we were given as an example pretty much.
As for a cover letter, you should only submit a cover letter to any big company/job you are applying for. A place that provides an application like fast food (McDonalds) does not need a cover letter at all.
First thing you should never include in your cover letter is social taboo... meaning never ask for an interview, or suggest an interview will even happen.
First paragraph should include the position you are applying for, where you saw the advertisement. Put a sentence saying something like your experience and education would qualify you for the position.
Middle paragraph is the summary of your education + experience, 3-5 sentences max.
Last paragraph is your conclusion. State that your resume is attached and whatnot, look forward to meeting with the person reading your application. Include contact information too.
Sign with pen.