Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with not finishing anything?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/3
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    83d 21h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m

How to deal with not finishing anything?

I have a big problem when it comes to programming, I'll try to explain the best I can:

I start a program with really basic concepts like without GUI and reading data from files. The program works and all but then I realize I could instead of reading a file use a database, then I start from scratch to adapt the program to this, then I want it to have a GUI so again I start from scratch, then I find I can use a persistence API to avoid using queries for the database so from scratch again... and with the little free time I have and the fact that Im also doing other stuff I finish nothing and I've a bunch of good programs I want to release but never have the time to finish them :cry: 'cause I dont want to release something like my old programs which are really noob/bad .

I would really appreciate some advices if you had faced the same problem.
    Thank you guys.
    Last edited by npm; 12-13-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Code:
    404 Not Found.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 4h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    I think setting an hour or so every day just for that one project you have will definitely help you see the finish line much quicker, and best of all, eventually.

But remembering can be tough, so you basically have to set some type of alert system or notification to remind yourself every day, "OK - let's do an hour of coding now"

Good luck man!
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

npm (10-22-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/3
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    83d 21h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    I think that's the problem I cant focus in only one thing... I got easly distracted and find myself doing other things lol

Code:
    404 Not Found.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    88 times
    Time Online
    22d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    This might sound really obvious and kind of dumb, but physically writing things down makes a huge difference.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graff For This Useful Post:

npm (10-22-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    4d 18h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Being a little bit ADD when it comes to programming myself, I know how you feel, and I agree with Joe. Set aside an hour or two to work on that project and despite all your worst ideas, don't deviate, and if you do, make it up.

Don't be afraid of releasing something thats not perfect, companies do it all the time without even testing in some cases

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Integra For This Useful Post:

npm (10-22-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/3
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    83d 21h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Graff View Post
    This might sound really obvious and kind of dumb, but physically writing things down makes a huge difference.
    I used to do that but then there's a huge list of things I never do in my dashboard
    But thinking about it I could get sticky-notes so I feel the need to finish that activity, I'll put this in practice. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Integra View Post
    Being a little bit ADD when it comes to programming myself, I know how you feel, and I agree with Joe. Set aside an hour or two to work on that project and despite all your worst ideas, don't deviate, and if you do, make it up.

Don't be afraid of releasing something thats not perfect, companies do it all the time without even testing in some cases
    Im feeling I've ADD too, thanks for your advice specially the pat of realsing something that's not perfect, I think this might by my major problem where.

You have given the maximum amount of reputation for today. Time until you can give reputation again: 18:12:27. Will do then.

Code:
    404 Not Found.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by hectorvazc View Post
    I used to do that but then there's a huge list of things I never do in my dashboard
    But thinking about it I could get sticky-notes so I feel the need to finish that activity, I'll put this in practice. Thank you.

Im feeling I've ADD too, thanks for your advice specially the pat of realsing something that's not perfect, I think this might by my major problem where.

You have given the maximum amount of reputation for today. Time until you can give reputation again: 18:12:27. Will do then.
    Adderal!! If you have ADD then stimulants help you calm down and focus. Relaxants make you hyper. I did not know this till after college, and now I know that whenever I take Nyquil I get super fucked up wired.

But Adderal or caffeine pills can calm my mind down.

Other than that it can become a chore figuring out how to prioritize things. Especially when it is something you are doing for fun instead as for a job or class. Fuck the only time I could really get focused on an assignement in college was the day before it was due.

Write up a 100 page research paper? Sure. got all my notes and shit highlighted around.

Ask me to make a template for it, make a structure for it, outline everything, you are going to see a bare ass skeleton
    I can't focus until the pressure is on and I will write out that behemoth of a paper in about 4 hours the night before it is due.

In my marine biology class one of my room mates came up to me and told me that she wanted to apologize to me after I made my presentation.
    I had no idea but she thought that I was just goofing off the entire time we were supposed to be working on our term projects. The class I was in was a special one that only 30 students get selected for each year from multiple universities. So she thought that I was wasting a spot that someone else could have been using that would take the class more seriously.

She let me know all this after my presentation because she said she was really impressed with my project and presentation. She said something like "I thought you were goofing off this entire time and I have been really pissed off at you for a while now. But what you just presented was really in depth and extremely informative. I want to apologize to you for thinking of you that way." I guess that should have clued me in about possibly being ADD heh.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/3
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    83d 21h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    I dont like to take pills tbh, I only take them when im really really sick, but coffee do help me to calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    Fuck the only time I could really get focused on an assignement in college was the day before it was due.
    Write up a 100 page research paper? Sure. got all my notes and shit highlighted around.

Ask me to make a template for it, make a structure for it, outline everything, you are going to see a bare ass skeleton
    I can't focus until the pressure is on and I will write out that behemoth of a paper in about 4 hours the night before it is due.
    This is me totally, I was the last one on my class on making all the class duties and all my classmates were really mad at me for it lol

Code:
    404 Not Found.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I notice you talk about wanting UIs for your applications. You should practice development in a non UI form and maintain flexibility to easily attach a UI if you so later choose. Plus this reduces time taken to build something as you'll have it functional first then at least could release that if you want. Design is important but imo functionality > design

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    What?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Not2EXceL For This Useful Post:

npm (11-01-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/3
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    83d 21h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Not2EXceL View Post
    I notice you talk about wanting UIs for your applications. You should practice development in a non UI form and maintain flexibility to easily attach a UI if you so later choose. Plus this reduces time taken to build something as you'll have it functional first then at least could release that if you want. Design is important but imo functionality > design

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    This turned out to be the best advice I ever had.
    Thank you, my next bots/systems will thank you for ever.

Code:
    404 Not Found.