DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    36d 8h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    As much as I despise guns, as someone who's lived with people who own multiple guns, banning guns isn't something that can happen. Even just stricter gun laws... those probably won't work. Americans are too obsessed with their guns to even give a second thought about making it harder to access them. I personally would prefer less guns around, I hate their loudness+speed+dangerous capabilities (especially when I wake up to them being shot off which gives me a heart attack every time) but it's just not possible anymore.

If only guns weren't ever created in the first place

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    17d 23h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I think the only way america could undo the mess of gun crimes is to go back in time and redo the whole gun laws, TBH they should have looked into it A WHOLE FUCKTON sooner and done something about it. I am sure that 90% of the gun owners are responsible and so on, but that leaves 10% which somewhere as big as america is a heap of crazies with guns.

I for one am glad i live in the u.k and dont own a gun, i own two dogs, a selection of sharp objects and a killer right hook and i dont feel afraid in my own home. I do however understand that i probably would feel a lot more worried if 90% of my area had a gun and i didnt.

Dont bring a knife to a gun fight folks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexis For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (02-14-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think everyone should have the right to own a gun. The automatic weapon part is touchy, and I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand, if people can easily access automatic rifles, that means *possibly* more instances of mass murder. But, even if they are outlawed, criminals are C R I M I N A L S and will get a hold of one anyway. It can be said that no one needs an automatic weapon, but I am really feeling a violent revolution coming along. And the people that don't want us to have these weapons, are the people that already have a large team of trained soldiers, heavily armed and ready to strike.
    But then again, I am just some crazy conspiracy theorist, and maybe everything is just fine and the government loves us and cares about our well being.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to earthanimal For This Useful Post:

Arabelle (02-14-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    13d 7h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    No worries, I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist too. As for automatic weapons, semi autos can easily be converted into fully automatic by removing a pin or something. There is probably no use in polite society for automatic weapons but they sure are fun to shoot. As you mentioned previously, laws are not gonna stop anyone hell bent on obtaining a gun for nefarious purposes and regular people must be able to protect themselves and thier family... should they choose to do so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arabelle For This Useful Post:

earthanimal (02-18-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    They should make guns harder to get. Look at Australia, after amending the law on guns, they have not had one mass shooting since 1996.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by helloswirly View Post
    They should make guns harder to get. Look at Australia, after amending the law on guns, they have not had one mass shooting since 1996.
    This actually isn't accurate. In 2002 a university was targeted. We've also had a mass-murder-suicide by gun that is technically also included. There has been a definite reduction in the spree/rampage shootings since the gun laws were changed post-Port Arthur though, yes.
    As many people have pointed out on this thread already though, a big part of the problem is the existing amount of weapons, rather than new ones. So many people already have access (and it is such an ingrained part of the culture) that it would be near impossible to undo the existing risk.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    As many people have pointed out on this thread already though, a big part of the problem is the existing amount of weapons, rather than new ones. So many people already have access (and it is such an ingrained part of the culture) that it would be near impossible to undo the existing risk.
    Definitely is an issue. The only way it will be fixed is to have current up and coming children to want change. Previous generations of gun wielding "I want to be the hero" types will need to cease to exist. Then slowly, the handing back, collection, stoppage of mass production whatever the solution could be can begin. Only then, only when current young minds take over as the majority adult minds will something change. Current thinking is not going to work.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    127d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I'm strongly of the belief that we need stricter gun control laws, I really genuinely don't see how that's a bad thing (except for the NRA), and the arguments for why that would be a bad thing really do not sway me (e.g. criminals will still be able to get guns because they'll go that extra mile, whereas normal civilians won't be able to access guns as easily unless they also go the extra mile, guns are for protection -- the same argument that those who use guns to kill their own family have used in the past to defend their gun ownership -- and on the flip side of the coin -- should all high schoolers start going to school with guns to protect themselves from mass shooters then? How about middle schoolers? Elementary schoolers, since elementary schools have also been shot at? What about young 3 year old children, who might fall victim to their father trying to kill them? It's happened many times before. How young is the limit? Are we going to leave 3 year olds defenseless then, because they're too young to wield a gun, even though their gun-wielding parent could still turn their own gun on their child? I am literally only citing a real mass shooting that occurred in the U.S. here, it really did happen that a father shot and killed his own young children and chased his wife through a Walgreens parking lot to kill her as well just last year I believe?... I just think this logic of "guns are to protect myself" can get pretty flawed in the context of the mass shootings of today, like sure you can still get guns... and if you really want to own a gun, you said it yourself: if you REALLY want to get ahold of one, you can, even if the gun control laws make it harder to get one).

I also agree that those who subscribe extremely strongly into gun culture probably won't change their opinion because guns are such a central aspect to their lives and their culture. We just need the younger generation to embrace gun control, and slowly the older generation will die out eventually.
    There was that one girl in the midst of the Florida high school shooting who said on tape that she was interested in guns before, but the experience of being in the midst of the school shooting made the thought of guns sick to her stomach and she changed her mind and while she used to be pro-gun, she does now think that there's a need for stricter gun control laws now (and that there's a need for change in the way society views mass shootings).
    I kind of hate that mass shootings are becoming an ordinary aspect of being an American. We just suffered a massive tragedy? And another one? And another one? Shrugs. Welp, that's America for you! Nothing we can do about it!
    Like no... Also really tired of people attributing mass shootings only to mental illness in the interest of diverting the discussion away from gun control. Everyone around him was aware of his mental instability and acted on it constantly. What didn't they act on? His possession and obsession with guns... I think the most that happened was his family friend who took him in after his mom passed away told him it was either her or his guns and he chose the guns and moved out. His friends on the other hand encouraged his interest in guns and even suggested accessories for him to buy... But that's not what I'm trying to get at -- authorities intervened with his mental issues (he was placed in an alternative school, etc) but authorities never intervened with his gun ownership/obsession

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2d 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I am an Australian citizen, in around 1996 (a year before I was born) Australia became very strict on gun control.
    Throughout my whole life, I have never considered owning a gun and I have never heard anyone mention the need/want to have a gun. No one has ever been able to understand a benefit in being able to head down to your local supermarket and order a gun. The fact is, America has more than 1 mass shooting each week, I can't recall Australia having a major shooting in the last year, let alone a shooting at a school/university.
    Let me just pose the question.. I understand that there are other factors in play but when focusing purely on the likelihood of being shot, would you feel safer living in Australia or America? (I think the answer is quite obvious)

I see people promoting this idea that you defend yourself with a gun. Fair call you can, but yet again, why is it that no Australian (that I know) has wanted to own a gun for self defence?

I could and would discuss this for all it's worth but I feel we are all quite intelligent here and able to compare two differences. I refer to Australia a lot, but I could equally put many other countries in the same boat as Australia.

Last thing to mention is the relation between $$$ and politics. My belief is that one of the main reasons Trump was able to win the election was due to his wealth, you'd be surprised how much influence you can literally purchase through social media advertising and an experiences team of social media marketers. I believe anyone with enough media attention could win a US election.
    The point I'm getting at is the fact that the gun industry is massive in America. With a bit of common sense you can understand that a CEO of a company reliant on the gun industry would happily spend a few million (of their billions) dollars to enforce their opinions through the media..

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by pipidaga View Post
    I am an Australian citizen, in around 1996 (a year before I was born) Australia became very strict on gun control.
    Throughout my whole life, I have never considered owning a gun and I have never heard anyone mention the need/want to have a gun. No one has ever been able to understand a benefit in being able to head down to your local supermarket and order a gun. The fact is, America has more than 1 mass shooting each week, I can't recall Australia having a major shooting in the last year, let alone a shooting at a school/university.
    Let me just pose the question.. I understand that there are other factors in play but when focusing purely on the likelihood of being shot, would you feel safer living in Australia or America? (I think the answer is quite obvious)

I see people promoting this idea that you defend yourself with a gun. Fair call you can, but yet again, why is it that no Australian (that I know) has wanted to own a gun for self defence?

I could and would discuss this for all it's worth but I feel we are all quite intelligent here and able to compare two differences. I refer to Australia a lot, but I could equally put many other countries in the same boat as Australia.

Last thing to mention is the relation between $$$ and politics. My belief is that one of the main reasons Trump was able to win the election was due to his wealth, you'd be surprised how much influence you can literally purchase through social media advertising and an experiences team of social media marketers. I believe anyone with enough media attention could win a US election.
    The point I'm getting at is the fact that the gun industry is massive in America. With a bit of common sense you can understand that a CEO of a company reliant on the gun industry would happily spend a few million (of their billions) dollars to enforce their opinions through the media..
    My only argument to your entire statement is, and I'm sorry for naming you man, but @(you need an account to see links) can tell you the difference in complete culture when comparing Aussie to America. Over 300m people in America, over 600m LEGALLY owned firearms. It's been engraved in our society for hundreds of years and there's no entity in the world that could effectively end shootings from occurring in our nation. Period.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Just to add to this, I carry a firearm pretty much every waking moment of my life. I train more than Keanu Reeves. I also think common sense laws should be implemented. I don't have any issue with raising the age to buy rifles and shotguns to 21, but, the current laws in place haven't been effectively enforced by those who are sworn to protect the average citizen for decades now. From 9/11 to the OKC bombing, to the most recent FL shooting; the FBI and local LEOs were informed of the impending events, and did nothing. I understand they have many things to follow up on every day, millions of leads per year. Nobody is perfect. I think it's bat shit crazy that the only viable solution to ending school shootings is arming teachers. I say that with also wanting to point out that the gun "lovers" don't want to mandate them to carry. Just let the ones who have their permit to carry, carry at work. Whether or not they're willing to engage in a firefight under that amount of pressure, safely able to engage an active shooter and effectively put them down, or even be able to identify the threat, is questionable at best. Bottom line, is that taking our guns won't do anything other than further the agenda of the government who has systematically failed it's citizens for so long that those "rednecks" with guns don't trust a man in a political position and I don't either. I would like to see a change, I just don't know what that change could be at this point.