Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Time Online
    43 d 7 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    46 m
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: apathetic_rage Steam ID: askakhan
    I come from a redneck area, so taking guns away is never going to happen. Banning the stock thing he used? Congrats people still will make them. We, as an American society, are too far gone to save in that regard.

So what's left to do? Tougher gun laws? Been there, done that. This guy bought 30+ guns in the matter of months and no one caught onto that. If the system really worked, then why was nothing flagged? Private sales can have quick criminal checks but what's that going to stop? Sure, the person selling is still liable if the buyer commits crime with the gun/is a convicted felon, but that still does not stop the violence from happening.

GIANT METEOR 2017

The Darkest Evil
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    3 d 20 h 55 m
    Avg. Time Online
    32 m
    Own weapons for personal use is prohibited in my country. The discussion here is if it would be good for us, since the violence rate is ridiculous high here in South America.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Time Online
    13 d 15 h 11 m
    Avg. Time Online
    24 m
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Fukmuffinz
    Since we're here, let's talk about the Lawbreaker Paradox, since it always comes up:

1. Law-abiding citizens obey the law
    2. Criminals are lawbreakers, and thus do not obey the law
    3. Laws impose restrictions on the behavior of only those that follow them
    4. Laws restrict and, therefore, only hurt law-abiding citizens

This literally applies to 100% of laws. It's true for the same reason that it's totally useless in discussing a proper course of action--it's a redundant, self-reinforcing pretense of truth by necessity of its definition (ie. "lawbreakers").

So instead of over-politicizing the crap out of the issue to satisfy our lame tribal tendencies and clinging to pointless arguments like the Lawbreaker Paradox to make our point (BOTH sides are guilty of oversimplification and logical fallacies, btw, that just happened to be a convenient example), let's agree that the 2nd amendment is here to stay, but people are dying a lot and we can do more than just *shrug*. We're smarter and better than that.

Here's some basic suggestions to get started:

1. Increase funding for research on gun violence, safety, and laws. Good research informs good, sensible policy, and our is kinda pathetic. Let's re-evaluate the Dickey Amendment while we're at it, because the idea that you can research an issue, but not use that research to inform or shape policy, is just idiotic. Considering the financial burden gun violence costs us in addition to loss of lives, we can afford to step it up to at least a level of concern consistent with its mortality rate.

2. Improve resources necessary to actually enforce the law. Even though no laws are 100% effective, they're a lot less effective when we can't enforce them, wouldn't you say? Quit hamstringing agencies like the ATF by cutting funding and imposing restrictions that undermine their ability to properly enforce the laws we already have.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sugar Rush For This Useful Post:

Misha (10-12-2017)

Briarcliff Manor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,753 Times in 964 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Time Online
    47 d 6 h 10 m
    Avg. Time Online
    48 m
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Achyness
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablos View Post
    This whole thread has been an eye opener for me. All that we have plastered over here in the U.K. whenever an event like Vegas happens is how crazy the US are, why Guns should be banned etc etc.

It's all one sided so we never see any of the reasoning behind why people support the right to own a weapon and the benefits. So it's been good to see it from the other side of the fence. I've never held a gun, but next time I'm in the US I'm going to make a point of visiting a gun range. I want to experience it!
    Come to minnesota. Ill show you a good time.

Somewhere Down Under
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Time Online
    4 d 9 h 3 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 m
    I'm an Aussie, admittedly I haven't lived abroad, but I do honestly prefer a scenario where automatic and semi-automatic weapons restricted or not allowed at all.

There have been shootings since, but none to the extent of say Port Arthur, the worst recorded massacre in Australian history.

I'll also leave this several year old but still highly-relevant/accurate comedy piece here for everyone, just for good measure, produced by American's:
    US v Australia - Gun Control

California
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 h 23 m
    Avg. Time Online
    47 m
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: sparklypotato
    Banning guns will make it harder for the random civilian to stop a shooting if it happens. Think about what would have happened in that church in texas if the two dudes didn't have a gun?

Briarcliff Manor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,753 Times in 964 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Time Online
    47 d 6 h 10 m
    Avg. Time Online
    48 m
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Achyness
    Quote Originally Posted by franbow View Post
    Banning guns will make it harder for the random civilian to stop a shooting if it happens. Think about what would have happened in that church in texas if the two dudes didn't have a gun?
    If the two guys were in the church at the time of the shooting, 20 something lives could have been saved.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345