All types of technology have premium options for those who have the cash, so phones are no different.

There's great affordable phones coming out all the time but you can't really push boundaries at those price points so they don't get as much coverage. Like, my mom's got some LG phone that's from this year (or last? can't remember) that was significantly less expensive than mine and the actual technological differences between them would not matter much to a normal person. But compared to the coverage Google, Apple, and Samsung got this year?? I can't recall seeing much about it.
People are just so caught up in the advertising that they don't stop and think "maybe I should go for a cheaper phone, or hold onto my old one longer, instead of going for one of the best & most expensive on the market". The market isn't being flooded by super expensive phones--it's that nobody brings up the cheaper options put out by less sexy brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Demri View Post
Do people really pay full price for them?
I'll admit I bought my Samsung Galaxy S8 outright when the price had only dropped about $15 lol (it's dropped about $100 at this point I think?) I don't know how common that is though.