Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody a business major? Familiar with LLCs, etc?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m

Anybody a business major? Familiar with LLCs, etc?

Looking into a few things and had a few questions with regards to starting a company and the different steps to take.

Probably looking to start an LLC but I don't want to use any of my personal addresses as the company address.
    I was planning to open a mailbox at UPS or similar which provide valid addresses for a business.

Different states have different benefits, with Delaware being one of the most popular. Could I simply open a mailbox in Delaware and use that address? I don't live in Delaware but it's fairly close by. Not sure how that would work.

Was planning on going through a site like LegalZoom just for the convenience and simplicity. I wanted to make sure I was starting things properly so I could get started with things.

If anybody has any insight, experience, etc with things like this - I'd greatly appreciate your input!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    I actually just opened up an LLC through legalzoom about two weeks ago.
    Their sign up process is hella simple, and they'll designate a location for your business on their own, so you won't have to use your own address. However you'll need to find your own Registered Agent unless you go through Legalzoom as well ($159 annual fee). The Registered Agent handles all the legal documents for taxes, lawsuits, and all the scary shit I didn't wanna look at.

One thing to note about opening the LLC out of state is that when you go to open a business bank account, they'll ask you for documentation stating that you're allowed to do business in the state you currently reside in. So for instance if you open the the LLC in Delaware but want a bank account in Wisconsin, you'll have to go through the Secretary of State in Wisconsin before you can actually open the account in Wisconsin.

- Verification of ID
    - Verification of Tax ID (EIN) or SSN
    - Assumed Name Certificate (Corporate assumed name, issued by state and filed in the county in which you do business)
    - Certificate of Resolution
    - Certificate of Authority to show you own the business or are an authorized officer/manager
    - Certificate of Organization
    - Articles of Formation

I actually went to the bank today and they gave me a sheet with everything I would need. I'll post a picture below. Could be different for your state, but if it is I don't imagine it's anything significant.

I'll also throw in a little personal experience with Legalzoom.

I might have missed it when I was opening everything up, but everything that you apply for is totaled up in the total at the end, but some things you apply for are segregated into individual fees. My fee for the Registered Agent came out of pocket one day when I was just chillin' and I saw a $160 charge to my account. Also, I paid for express delivery on my EIN and paperwork (7-10 business days). I submitted for everything on the 31st of August and didn't get my paperwork until the 15th of September, so they're kinda slow.
    Be sure to check out your account details after you file everything if you go through legalzoom as well just to check out all the fees and everything they're charging you for, when they're charging you for it, and how much. I only say that because I almost paid $400 for a service I didn't want because I couldn't afford it at the time.

Ignore the marks on it. Those are just things that I already had.

Not an expert on any of this by any means, but this is just my experience as of the last 2 weeks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mophead For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-20-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    @(you need an account to see links) it wouldn't let me +rep you but I'll hit you back once I can.

Thanks so much for all the info!

There are a few things I need to take into consideration. Most of my business is going to be online, with the possibility of some in person sales and such. I don't plan on having an office and all that stuff though. The other issue is that the state I currently live in, I don't plan to be hear for more than another 6months to a year - depending on where my main career path takes me.

The registered agent fee from legal zoom seems pretty small when you consider how much of a headache it removes from you. Basically just need them to set the legal frame work so that I can do my thing and get it going. Planning on forming the LLC then tossing the business ideas I have underneath of it, then going from there.

Establishing a bank account affiliated with the business would be pretty important. I'll probably read around a little bit to make sure I'm taking all the proper steps and then turn to legalzoom. I have the possibility of bringing on employees/contractors in the future too - so I want to make sure I'm set up for that.

Taxes are annoying af doing them just for myself so trying to make them as easy as possible with a new business is the goal!!

EDIT: you said they charged you for the EID too? I read somewhere that you can pick one of those up at the IRS site for free? Not sure on that but I'll have to check it out. Don't wanna be hit with any surprises charges after I think I'm set. No thank you.
    Last edited by I_royalty_I; 09-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    47 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Hi! I work at a UPS store and we get people in wanting to open mailboxes for a LLC they are starting. You need to use a physical address and not a mailbox. At least that is how it goes at my store and what I have been told!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to people For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-20-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by people View Post
    Hi! I work at a UPS store and we get people in wanting to open mailboxes for a LLC they are starting. You need to use a physical address and not a mailbox. At least that is how it goes at my store and what I have been told!
    So if I wanted to come in and open a mailbox and use that as my LLC address - you are saying that would not be allowed?

I definitely don't want to list any of my private addresses as the LLC address, just to keep things separate.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    47 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    So if I wanted to come in and open a mailbox and use that as my LLC address - you are saying that would not be allowed?

I definitely don't want to list any of my private addresses as the LLC address, just to keep things separate.
    You can use it to get your business mail sent there, but it is preferred if you use a private address when setting up your LLC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to people For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-20-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a name... this is the most frustrating part. I've done a ton of extra research trying to learn about all the ins and outs, what I should expect - but a good name has eluded me.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a name... this is the most frustrating part. I've done a ton of extra research trying to learn about all the ins and outs, what I should expect - but a good name has eluded me.
    I think I spent a good three weeks trying to come up with a name.
    Eventually settled on one, and now I'm just reading it off in my head and going "ew".

The name by far is the worst part. S:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mophead For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    I think I spent a good three weeks trying to come up with a name.
    Eventually settled on one, and now I'm just reading it off in my head and going "ew".

The name by far is the worst part. S:
    Junior_sniper LLC. Dude, I told you NOT to name it that.

Andrew, I may be able to help with generic questions as I don't deal much with LLC in practice currently. I may have some basic answers but it might not be anything you don't already know.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looklook123123 For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-25-2017),Mophead (09-25-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    My accountant helped me open up my LLC ~2 years ago. Little bit more expensive than doing it on my own I'm sure, but I felt more comfortable having someone knowledgeable handling what needed to be done.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blue_jean_man For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-25-2017)