182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Owners are returning from years long hiatus

Its both a good and bad thing. You have more potential buyers, but you also have the risk of people returning that were the original owner of that main account or pet you bought. Has this happened in waves in the past and no one should worry? Should people get paranoid? /discuss

Seen a few posts about it on reddit people coming back seeing someone else using their account or they were frozen for protection so that why I figured I would open the topic for discussion

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3d 2h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    OR its people buying old accounts and using them by saying theyre coming back from hiatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to horseradish For This Useful Post:

Stocking Anarchy (09-19-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    17d 11h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    It's a good reminder, at least, to change up passwords and PINs on any bought accounts, because having the information be as far away from the original as possible is your best bet.. as well as, if possible, moving pets to a shell or other accounts if they originally came on a purchased account. And be sure to document all the stuff on there, whether it's NC purchases or avatars or whatever else you might feel would be valuable: and TNT starts throwing protective freezes or whatever around, then open a ticket, get your documented stuff, and start fighting to prove that you know the account like the back of your hand.

Cover your tracks and scramble any evidence all over the place, and then hope the wind doesn't blow it back together, yeah? Protect your assets if you're paranoid.

I don't have any accounts that weren't originally mine, so I can't say I'm all that troubled by this, personally. If I had any pets that I had bought (since those are easier to track than things like items and NC mall belongings), they'd probably be shifted to another account just to help mix the trail up a bit. :p
    Last edited by Star Dream; 09-18-2017 at 08:22 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Dream For This Useful Post:

genesis (09-20-2017),Kit (09-19-2017),loserchild (09-21-2017),Stocking Anarchy (09-19-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    I got a mail like this to an account of mine too. I think someone just has a lot of time on their hands.... trying to get others frozen honestly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bettser For This Useful Post:

Stocking Anarchy (09-19-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13d 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I actually recently came back from a hiatus a few months ago. Had no problem with my main, but found my sides compromised with my name on the account different/pets changed, and it pissed me off (as I had some important pets on the account, which were traded or abandoned). I ended up getting everything back, after going through support tickets for a couple of months. But it seems that someone had tried to make one of my side accounts into a main. I'm sure that someone must have bought it, because it went from saying I have no name, to having a persons name on it when I looked it up randomly one day (as I was still waiting for my tickets to be answered). One reason I would personally never buy an account is that it seems too risky... I feel like a lot of people who had nice names and stuff would be more likely come back from hiatus.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle12 View Post
    I actually recently came back from a hiatus a few months ago. Had no problem with my main, but found my sides compromised with my name on the account different/pets changed, and it pissed me off (as I had some important pets on the account, which were traded or abandoned). I ended up getting everything back, after going through support tickets for a couple of months. But it seems that someone had tried to make one of my side accounts into a main. I'm sure that someone must have bought it, because it went from saying I have no name, to having a persons name on it when I looked it up randomly one day (as I was still waiting for my tickets to be answered). One reason I would personally never buy an account is that it seems too risky... I feel like a lot of people who had nice names and stuff would be more likely come back from hiatus.
    If you originally made your account, then I'm fully on your side. Its great seeing people come back, and i hope you get your side back.

However, a lot of people dont come back. If i were to pull a stat out of my ass, I would say from my 10-15 experience selling neopets accounts that like 95% don't come back after quitting. Whether it being a decaying site, real life issues, older population moving on, most dont come back. Its a chance every buyer takes, and it honestly rarely happens anymore.

PS, just giving my thoughts, I truly hope you receive your side back

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bettser For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (09-19-2017),Nath (09-20-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    10d 23h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettser View Post
    If i were to pull a stat out of my ass, I would say from my 10-15 experience selling neopets accounts that like 95% don't come back after quitting.
    Interesting insight! I too am quite afraid of buying accounts because (perhaps from personal experience) I find Neo a game that people easily go back to - due to nostalgia or because it's so easy to pick up where you left off, etc. If the actual stats are similar to what you say, I feel more at ease when purchasing items/pets/etc from inactive accounts too!

Just in your opinion, do you think there's a higher chance of original owners coming back if their account is "good"? E.g., the higher np they have, the better avatars, the more UC pets, etc. Or would that still be around the ~5% guesstimate?

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    No matter what, the account will always hold its history which can be viewed if a report is made that the account is stolen.

This is why I try to push players to just bot their way up to make their account look better. In the end, it's your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13d 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettser View Post
    If you originally made your account, then I'm fully on your side. Its great seeing people come back, and i hope you get your side back.

However, a lot of people dont come back. If i were to pull a stat out of my ass, I would say from my 10-15 experience selling neopets accounts that like 95% don't come back after quitting. Whether it being a decaying site, real life issues, older population moving on, most dont come back. Its a chance every buyer takes, and it honestly rarely happens anymore.

PS, just giving my thoughts, I truly hope you receive your side back

Yes they were all my original accounts and I got everything back. Thank you for your concern and positive thoughts though, I think I worded my sentence wrong. The one that said 'I have no name' bothered me, because tnt took forever to answer about that one. I didn't set it to saying it had no name (I originally had my own name on it). Which is why I knew something was incredibly fishy, but my pets were still on that account when I first made the ticket so I didn't freak out majorly. Until I checked it one day and found the name changed and my pets pounded/moved (someone had added a layout and stuff to the account), so I started posting on the help boards/fb and tried to get more attention about it. The account was frozen a day or so after, pets reversed, and Alice was a huge help for me (shes much better than Tony by miles). I've been so much more concerned about my account security since this has happened. So I'm pretty scared to leave neo again.

I didn't know the statistics of people leaving and not coming back. So that's pretty interesting.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by dafuqqq View Post
    Interesting insight! I too am quite afraid of buying accounts because (perhaps from personal experience) I find Neo a game that people easily go back to - due to nostalgia or because it's so easy to pick up where you left off, etc. If the actual stats are similar to what you say, I feel more at ease when purchasing items/pets/etc from inactive accounts too!

Just in your opinion, do you think there's a higher chance of original owners coming back if their account is "good"? E.g., the higher np they have, the better avatars, the more UC pets, etc. Or would that still be around the ~5% guesstimate?
    That definitely ups it for sure. I feel like people with UCs are even more likely because they know have a UC, and you know how the pc is