37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

Well I've had an interesting weekend

So, as a few of you know, I checked myself in to treatment for alcohol December of 2016. Well, this last Saturday my girlfriend and kids decided to go away for the weekend so I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to drink. Had a few at my cousin's house and then my ex-wifes kid's dad showed up. I didn't want to get into a fight and go to jail for assault so I left.

About a mile from home I'm coming over a hill and as soon as I do, I see a truck stuck behind a combine tractor. I didn't have time to stop. Hit them going about 45 mph and totalled my truck.

The state trooper showed up and I was going in and out of consciousness from the airbags deploying. Officer could smell alcohol so he charged me with dui and sent me to detox.

Got charged with 2 counts of DUI and went to jail after detox. Used every dollar I had to bond out and have court next week.

Lost my vehicle as well as my job. I'm back to ground zero. All because I decided to drink.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone knows how serious a 2nd degree DUI is in Minnesota?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    I'm sorry to hear about this happening, @(you need an account to see links). Addiction is a heavy burden to have to carry through life. I hope that you're able to get through this difficult time.

I found this on a Minnesota lawyer's page. (you need an account to see links)

Consequences

If you’re convicted of a 2nd degree DWI, you will likely face jail time. The amount of time you will need to serve will depend on the circumstances of the DWI and the number of past DWI convictions.

If there are two prior DWI convictions within the last 10 years, the statutory minimum requires 90 days to be served, with 30 days in custody and 60 on electronic home monitoring with alcohol supervision. If you have one prior DWI conviction with a current 2nd Degree DWI charge, the statutory minimum requires 48 hours in custody with 28 days on electronic home monitoring. Though, due to the elevated reading, most jurisdictions will initially ask for a stiffer penalty. And if the 2nd Degree DWI stems from a high reading and the presence of a child in the car, no statutory minimum is in play, but rest assured the State will seek stiff penalties that includes time in custody.

Despite the presence of statutory minimum sentences, these can be avoided with a proper legal strategy. These are always negotiable and there are many proactive steps a client can take to improve their situation to receive a better outcome. Further, some jurisdictions – like Hennepin County for instance – have DWI Court – an alternative court that is designed to help repeat offenders tackle the underlying issues with alcohol. DWI Court involves intensive oversight by the Court and probation, and time-consuming, but the client can avoid lengthy jail sentences and get the care necessary to really tackle potential alcohol problems. Clients that have entered this program have been successful and are pleased with the decision to do it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about this happening, @(you need an account to see links). Addiction is a heavy burden to have to carry through life. I hope that you're able to get through this difficult time.

I found this on a Minnesota lawyer's page. (you need an account to see links)
    Damn. I'm most likely going to be doing at least 30 days.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    well shit... lmk if you want me to feed your neopets while you're gone ):
    Ana's slave <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kite View Post
    well shit... lmk if you want me to feed your neopets while you're gone ):
    I only have one shell lol but thank you

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    I only have one shell lol but thank you
    probably for the best since I don't even feed my own neopets

..but yeah sucks to come back and hear something so shitty ended up happening to you this weekend
    Hopefully you don't have too much trouble getting back on your feet and everything once this is all over with though
    Ana's slave <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kite View Post
    probably for the best since I don't even feed my own neopets

..but yeah sucks to come back and hear something so shitty ended up happening to you this weekend
    Hopefully you don't have too much trouble getting back on your feet and everything once this is all over with though
    Yeah it will be rough having no vehicle or public transportation living in a rural town. I'll make it though I always do

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I'm sorry to hear that, Misha. I wish words can help but just know we're all here for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Misha (11-01-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aska View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, Misha. I wish words can help but just know we're all here for you.
    Thanks Aska. I appreciate it. I've already secured a job making 4.50 an hour more than I was making at my previous job, so I'm hoping that as well as going to AA meetings will have a good bearing on my judge's decision for my case.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Aska (11-01-2017),Efron (11-01-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Thanks Aska. I appreciate it. I've already secured a job making 4.50 an hour more than I was making at my previous job, so I'm hoping that as well as going to AA meetings will have a good bearing on my judge's decision for my case.
    Love reading that. Keep your chin up and stay on the road. I hope AA helps - and hey, if you get a sponsor that might really do you some good too. You'll have someone to talk to who can help you navigate this demon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Misha (11-02-2017)