27/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    21d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

Exclamation Equifax hacked, so they're offering free CR/monitoring

In case you haven't heard, Equifax was recently hacked, affecting ~143 million U.S. consumers.

The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver�s license numbers. Criminals also accessed credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers. As part of our investigation of this application vulnerability, we also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents. We have found no evidence that personal information of consumers in any other country has been impacted.
    To help consumers determine if their information has been potentially impacted and to sign up for credit file monitoring and identity theft protection. TrustedID Premier includes five separate offerings, all complimentary.
    Check it out here: (you need an account to see links)

After signing up today (they ask for your last name and last 6 digits of your SSN, nothing else), they gave me an enrollment date 3 days from now, instructing to return to faq.trustedidpremier.com to continue the enrollment process.

I'll report back if there's anything significant to report about it, but just thought I'd share, 'cause, you know... free stuff. Plus ID theft... been there; it sucks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sugar Rush For This Useful Post:

Synth Salazzle (09-08-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 13h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Just a heads up, enrolling in Equifax's TrustedID credit file monitoring, linked above, may waive your right to participate in the class action law recently filed against the company.

Equifax released a statement via twitter, and later added to the website, saying that this wasn't necessarily the case. From the FAQs for Consumers page:
    Do the TrustedID Terms of Use limit my options related to the cyber security incident?

The arbitration clause and class action wavier included in the TrustedID Premier Terms of Use applies to the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection products, and not the cybersecurity incident.
    However, many attorneys are calling the wording hear "ambiguous" and "dangerously vague."

I know that this doesn't do anybody much good right now, but it's something to keep in mind going forward.