54/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    18d 23h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

Question about Steam and Steam gift cards

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I want to buy for him a Steam gift card as a present. I know retail stores which sell them but I was wondering if there were any sold online for a cheaper price. Would something like that exist?

Also, I have never used Steam before so I have little idea of how it works. I can't ask my bf (because it'd ruin the surprise). All you'd need to redeem a gift card is to use the code right? Due to RL circumstances, I wouldn't be able to physically give him the gift card.

Thanks!
    Last edited by AyBeCee; 08-23-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    @(you need an account to see links), you can buy steam wallet codes online, just be careful about region coding. A quick google will give you a number of resellers of the codes, so try googling with the specific region that he'll need.
    I see that you're in Australia, like me. Steam works on USD, so just be mindful that we're always going to pay more than the face value because of conversion.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    18d 23h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    @(you need an account to see links), you can buy steam wallet codes online, just be careful about region coding. A quick google will give you a number of resellers of the codes, so try googling with the specific region that he'll need.
    I see that you're in Australia, like me. Steam works on USD, so just be mindful that we're always going to pay more than the face value because of conversion.
    Thanks for your tip! I read somewhere that even if I used AUD, the currency would convert to the appropriate one when redeemed? I'm not certain, however.

I have googled some sites but I have a hard time determining if they're legit or sketchy. If anyone has any experience with a legit one, then please let me know!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by AyBeCee View Post
    Thanks for your tip! I read somewhere that even if I used AUD, the currency would convert to the appropriate one when redeemed? I'm not certain, however.

I have googled some sites but I have a hard time determining if they're legit or sketchy. If anyone has any experience with a legit one, then please let me know!
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. You can buy $X AUD value cards, which will convert to the USD, or you can also buy USD value cards for a higher rate in AUD. I hope that makes sense. Tbh though, I don't think you're really going to find much better prices than you would get in person. I had a look at some site for you, and all the ones that I saw were about the same as you'd pay in store. I know that Big W had them at 10% off in June, but that sort of thing isn't common.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

AyBeCee (08-23-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    18d 23h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. You can buy $X AUD value cards, which will convert to the USD, or you can also buy USD value cards for a higher rate in AUD. I hope that makes sense. Tbh though, I don't think you're really going to find much better prices than you would get in person. I had a look at some site for you, and all the ones that I saw were about the same as you'd pay in store. I know that Big W had them at 10% off in June, but that sort of thing isn't common.
    That makes sense! Thanks for looking as well. I'll go with retail stores in that case.