Just watched this documentary on Netflix and this is the first time a documentary pissed me the fuck off so much!

It mainly is focused on how teenagers were taken and prostituted. They focus on how a website backpage.com facilitates the prostitution because the owners allow the advertisements to occur. The site owner hides behind code 230 that pretty much states that website owners can't be held responsible for what third parties publish on their sites.

Yet code 230 didn't protect pirate bay or other sites like it where third parties post links to torrents. They can be raided, their websites pulled down, and their CEOs arrested by the FBI, extradited from whatever country.

Reddit removed subreddits that promoted illegal activity about two years ago.

But code 230 has this super power to keep a site like backpage.com from getting pulled down even though third parties are pimps publishing ads that lead to worse criminal activity (selling children to be raped) than downloading a pirated movie.

Oh wait, I forgot, people up high only care about money.

I understand that website owners should be protected by the content of its third party publishers, but this law should not be a blanket that protects those web sites that knowingly facilitate illegal activity. You have to watch the documentary to see what I mean.

Yea my emotions are high at the moment and of course the doc is only portraying one side of the story but argggg.

(you need an account to see links)