Thread: Have you Tried the Library of Congress?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

Have you Tried the Library of Congress?

Researching and finding "scholarly" resources can be a pain.

But it doesn't have to be, and you don't...necessarily need to have used the pages you see for research anyway.

The limited search engines of the school or perhaps their blocking of Wikipedia has been a real hampering for your ability to find the first starting resources of a researched essay or report.

Fear not, for you see there is a secret weapon for you:

The Digitized Collection of the Library of Congress.

Newspapers, Almanacs, Books, and Film.

Anything you want, especially anything released to the public eye is in the Library of Congress; the best part? You don't have to be american to use it.

This huge extra resource is online!

Here's a quick search I did through their entire collection of newspapers for "Jack the Ripper" Look at how it even highlights where my keywords are in the text and offers them in all of those formats!

You can find pretty much anything digitized by the library of congress as a PDF;

(you need an account to see links)

Literally put in a search term, and select a type of media and you will likely find something SUPER HELPFUL.

They've even got Collections of items all pertaining to specific subjects and many are quite common research topics at all levels of schooling.

Seriously, if you aren't really in to researching via library time and scouring the internet the Library of Congress is an amazing starting point.

Especially their ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE Newspaper archives, if you want on the ground, real current times stuff newspapers are amazing for it.

So impress your teachers today!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

PabstBlueRibbon (07-18-2018),Urbex (07-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I've used this before for newspaper (political science) research. Very useful indeed because it goes back pretty far too iirc
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbex View Post
    I've used this before for newspaper (political science) research. Very useful indeed because it goes back pretty far too iirc
    Well I did find some victorian era papers about Jack the Ripper so I'd say it definite reaches far back!

LoC also has the largest selection of Public Domain imagery. :3 so if people are looking for pictures to mash up or texture for their presentation it's also an amazing resource for that.

(IIRC The government has a whole site dedicated to Public Domain, including films, images, writing, the lot!)