Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    10h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

iPhone 5s keeps rebooting

so basically a few weeks ago, my iPhone ranodmly turned off with the home button really hot, now it doesnt get too hot, though it did randomly turn off a few times (never off as such but wouldnt awake unless i rebooting, home button/power button seperately wouldnt work) but nowadays 2-3 times a week my iPhone randomly reboots. why is this? is there an underlying problem wit hthe firmware , or is there a bug with the latest ios, anyoen else has this issue?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    It's likely not the firmware, you said the phone got really hot and then has been randomly shutting down? That's a battery issue, specifically due to the Lithium Ion nature of it; it's completely discharged which means it's not holding more than 10% of it's battery charge and not very efficiently at that.

This used to happen all the time with Fast Chargers and iPhone 4-6s; unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to fix it with software, it's a hardware problem, and will require a replacement battery or a new phone if it's melted any circuits.

Also I'd be careful, we all saw what happened to those Samsung phones.

Take it to an apple store or talk with their customer support, this was a known issue back then and they'll be pretty understanding considering they were to my mother when she called them about her iphone 6 doing the same exact thing.

It's just how Lithium Ion batteries work, if the hardware switch that tells the phone to stop charging doesn't it overcharges, and then will barely charge again. It's the trouble with Fast Chargers and cordless chargers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Pusheen (07-05-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    10h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffryHawk View Post
    It's likely not the firmware, you said the phone got really hot and then has been randomly shutting down? That's a battery issue, specifically due to the Lithium Ion nature of it; it's completely discharged which means it's not holding more than 10% of it's battery charge and not very efficiently at that.

This used to happen all the time with Fast Chargers and iPhone 4-6s; unfortunately there's really nothing you can do to fix it with software, it's a hardware problem, and will require a replacement battery or a new phone if it's melted any circuits.

Also I'd be careful, we all saw what happened to those Samsung phones.

Take it to an apple store or talk with their customer support, this was a known issue back then and they'll be pretty understanding considering they were to my mother when she called them about her iphone 6 doing the same exact thing.

It's just how Lithium Ion batteries work, if the hardware switch that tells the phone to stop charging doesn't it overcharges, and then will barely charge again. It's the trouble with Fast Chargers and cordless chargers.
    No I believe it's the problem with the iPhone software that communicates to the iPhone what the battery charge should be. Doesn't seem to be communicating the correct battery level. Or another issue.

The battery isn't completely discharged, because when I reboot it turns on but it's annoying to have to constantly reboot my phone. i sometimes miss calls.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

it was weird it wasnt the whole phone getting hot even the back of the phone was cool. the home button used to be burning hot. but not anymore it just reboots randoml

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    No I believe it's the problem with the iPhone software that communicates to the iPhone what the battery charge should be. Doesn't seem to be communicating the correct battery level. Or another issue.

The battery isn't completely discharged, because when I reboot it turns on but it's annoying to have to constantly reboot my phone. i sometimes miss calls.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

it was weird it wasnt the whole phone getting hot even the back of the phone was cool. the home button used to be burning hot. but not anymore it just reboots randoml
    That's where the Battery sits in an Iphone, down by the Charge Cord.

Honestly I wish it was firmware, but it's likely not; it's probably a damaged battery circuit. When a Lithium Ion battery gets hot it means it's overcharging, which means it's either going to explode...in the case of the samsung notes, or it's never going to hold a charge well enough again and will give you that random on and off.

It's not maintaining it's charge over long periods, so the phone assumes your battery is dying and turns off to avoid over draining the battery.

It's really not something software can fix it's gonna be the hardware that needs repair; or as I said replacing the battery.

My mom's iphone was doing exactly that after exactly the same circumstances and it was a well known defect in some iPhone batteries; she had to go in and sit at the genius bar for 4 hours while they replaced her battery. As far as I know they will do it for free because it was a recalled problem.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    10h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    That's where the Battery sits in an Iphone, down by the Charge Cord.

Honestly I wish it was firmware, but it's likely not; it's probably a damaged battery circuit. When a Lithium Ion battery gets hot it means it's overcharging, which means it's either going to explode...in the case of the samsung notes, or it's never going to hold a charge well enough again and will give you that random on and off.

It's not maintaining it's charge over long periods, so the phone assumes your battery is dying and turns off to avoid over draining the battery.

It's really not something software can fix it's gonna be the hardware that needs repair; or as I said replacing the battery.

My mom's iphone was doing exactly that after exactly the same circumstances and it was a well known defect in some iPhone batteries; she had to go in and sit at the genius bar for 4 hours while they replaced her battery. As far as I know they will do it for free because it was a recalled problem.
    My iPhone doesn't seem to get hot when it's overcharging, however this issue does seem to happen when my phone reaches 100%, so maybe you're right, it may well be overcharging.

I thought this was ridiculous but basically my iPhone had been plugged in idle at 100% for around 2 hours, i used an app to check my battery health, and it also showed the iPhone to be charging. I thought it was the software to be going mad, i think you're right something's wrong so my battery kept overcharging.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    My iPhone doesn't seem to get hot when it's overcharging, however this issue does seem to happen when my phone reaches 100%, so maybe you're right, it may well be overcharging.

I thought this was ridiculous but basically my iPhone had been plugged in idle at 100% for around 2 hours, i used an app to check my battery health, and it also showed the iPhone to be charging. I thought it was the software to be going mad, i think you're right something's wrong so my battery kept overcharging.
    Yeah lithium Ion batteries are sooooo delicate and touchy, and very volatile; and they're often made cheaply, so the physical stop they have in place can fail. It's why they suggest not charging your phone every night and allowing it to natural lose charge over a few days or a week and charging it then. Ensures better battery life in the long run, and less likelihood of that part wearing out.

Like I said I'm pretty sure apple will replace the batter for free on phones of that era, because battery failure was so common in them, cause my mom got her's fixed for free and it never had a problem after the battery was replaced!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    10h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Yeah lithium Ion batteries are sooooo delicate and touchy, and very volatile; and they're often made cheaply, so the physical stop they have in place can fail. It's why they suggest not charging your phone every night and allowing it to natural lose charge over a few days or a week and charging it then. Ensures better battery life in the long run, and less likelihood of that part wearing out.

Like I said I'm pretty sure apple will replace the batter for free on phones of that era, because battery failure was so common in them, cause my mom got her's fixed for free and it never had a problem after the battery was replaced!
    It seems to have been happening since i spilt water over the phone a few weeks ago lol. a few days later, this issue of whenever i charge overnight and that, rebooting issues. i think you're right. cuz my phone is overcharged, the phone switches off at random intervals cuz the firmware is confused about how much discharge before switching off cuz of the overcharge. meanwhile , i should avoid charging overnight. since this water spill, i have noticed a significant battery decrease.

i dunno if a small water spill can make this happen though. or if it's another cause

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

I think I might just get a new phone ? My iPhone isn't under warranty any more.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    It seems to have been happening since i spilt water over the phone a few weeks ago lol. a few days later, this issue of whenever i charge overnight and that, rebooting issues. i think you're right. cuz my phone is overcharged, the phone switches off at random intervals cuz the firmware is confused about how much discharge before switching off cuz of the overcharge. meanwhile , i should avoid charging overnight. since this water spill, i have noticed a significant battery decrease.

i dunno if a small water spill can make this happen though. or if it's another cause

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

I think I might just get a new phone ? My iPhone isn't under warranty any more.
    Warranty doesn't really matter in this case unless water was the issue; this was something apple recalled phones for so it'd be a free repair at their expense.

But I suggest updating to a 6 anyway, the 6/6s are such good phones, honestly I couldn't believe how much more I liked my 6 compared to my 5 it's super fast and like not as big as I thought it'd be.

Up to you though!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    10h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Warranty doesn't really matter in this case unless water was the issue; this was something apple recalled phones for so it'd be a free repair at their expense.

But I suggest updating to a 6 anyway, the 6/6s are such good phones, honestly I couldn't believe how much more I liked my 6 compared to my 5 it's super fast and like not as big as I thought it'd be.

Up to you though!
    If they'd recalled the phones, this problem would have existed from the beginning, right ? or is this issue known to affect phones later on "in the battery's life"?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    If they'd recalled the phones, this problem would have existed from the beginning, right ? or is this issue known to affect phones later on "in the battery's life"?
    Honestly depends, my moms it happened to right away, other people said one day their phone just got super hot and was never the same.
    IDK the exact circumstances but apparently it was just something that was possible for 5-6; tho apparently the 6s they fixed the issue with? IDK.

Far as I can tell it's because they underestimated the power draw of the LTE receiver so the big LTE push meant the battery just gave out faster or immediately.