Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m

Things to do in Japan

hellooo all, I've come to you to ask for advice
    I am going to go to Japan at the end of July/early August and I was wondering if anyone who has been there could give me any recommendations for things to do?
    I have looked at quite a few things, but I am wondering if there are any secret gems that I should visit.
    We are only going for nine days sooo it's gonna be jam-packed for sure. So far, we're spending 3 of those days in Tokyo, and 3 in Kyoto. Is there any must-sees in these cities you guys could recommend??
    thank you.
    i love luna

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    99d 4h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    I'll get back you in a bit u: my sister is there right now, it's her 2nd time going and she's been there for a few months now (comin back around the time you're gonna be there LOL)
    i'd be there right now too but i sacrificed my vacation to get another pet anyway i'm messaging her right now

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

@Aura

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lazuli For This Useful Post:

Aura (06-17-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, Tokyo skytree, Harajuku is a good time, as well.

As for Kyoto, there were a few things to do, but I kind of left the group when i went, and caught the Shin to Osaka since they had a Universal Studios.
    I also took the train from Kyoto to Kobe (1.2 hours away), and got Kobe beef. It's not sold anywhere else in the world and it melts in your mouth like warm cookie dough. I promise, you won't regret that trip. So if you get bored of Kyoto, head south.

I lived further south so if you need stuff to do near Hiroshima, I'm yo lady.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

Aura (06-17-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    192/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I don't know how much help I can be, but I can give you some advice that I learned from a bunch of Japanese youtubers.

It's fine to visit the touristy areas, but try not to go to just all the "weeb" things. If you can, try to visit & pray at some of the local area shrines! From what I've seen in videos, the areas are really pretty and serene.

If you feel comfortable with taking public transportation, that will open up a lot of opportunities! Take some day trips to small towns!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solgaleo For This Useful Post:

Aura (06-17-2017),Lilac Tentacles (06-17-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm a geisha geek, so attending an ozashiki/enkai (geisha party) is on my bucket list. It used to be that you had to know someone who was already an accepted client in the "Flower and Willow World" to attend a banquet, but more and more okiya (geisha) houses are offering packages to tourists (especially in Tokyo) because completely following the old ways leaves the industry hurting for money. (That's probably also why there are several okiya who will take just about any woman who can speak fluent Japanese and is willing to live and work in the industry for a certain period of time. At least, that's my explanation for the girl from St. Louis and various others from around the world!)

Some shops also have packages where you can get dressed up/made up as a geisha and get your picture taken...I still haven't decided whether that's too cheesy or not. xD

If you like sushi, go to someplace like Sushiro with the cool conveyor belts. Kappa-Zushi also has the conveyor belts, but Rachel and Jun (a Japanese vlogging couple) say the desserts are the best part of that one.

If you want to go to the traditional route, there's always soaking in onsen (hot springs). ^_^

(Texan in Tokyo is defunct because Grace and Ryosuke wanted to focus on starting a family.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Komari For This Useful Post:

Aura (06-27-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Slightly unconventional but check out the convenience stores. They are a treasure trove of cheap and delicious foods.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to createweb For This Useful Post:

Aura (07-29-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    40d 23h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    If you're just looking to have some fun, check for any festivals and such in the areas you'll be visiting. Hit up some shrines, hot springs, stuff like that. Maybe check out one of the Ninja Academy if that's your bag. Oh, and vending machines; check out lots and lots of vending machines. There's even an entire restaurant (which I can't remember the location of lmao) that's nothing but vending machines.

If you want to make a little bit of cash while having fun: go to some toy stores and pick up merchandise on the cheap. Pokemon Centre Tokyo is a prime example, but there's also the "Hidden Pokemon Centre", which is a speciality shop in a location that I won't disclose in a public forum, which carries a LOT of rare Pokemon goods at insanely low prices. Gundams, Nendoroids, and FiguArts are other things to look out for.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ehentalix For This Useful Post:

Aura (07-29-2017),Komari (07-28-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Check out the Tokyo subway metro pass, they have ones that last 3 days. It's convenient if you're taking the metro, excludeing the JR line.

If you don't want to take the subway and transfer multiple times after you land to get to the hotel, an option to look at is the airport limousine bus. You can also pick up a wifi egg at the airport and return it when you leave.

If not mentioned already, there's the tsukiji fish market, kabukicho in shinjuku, the temple at asakusa, uniqlo/gu for clothes, bic camera for electronics.

Oh, and you'll be amazed by their toilets. there's so much to see in Tokyo!

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by createweb View Post
    Slightly unconventional but check out the convenience stores. They are a treasure trove of cheap and delicious foods.
    This. Especially those 100 yen convenience stores, and Daiso (sorta like dollarama) but better. Picked up some phone cases and screen protector for only a dollar each.

Edit: Just realized it's already end of July and you're probably there already.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to oneone For This Useful Post:

Aura (07-29-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m