Thread: Favorite scientist and their contribution or invention?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    8d 14h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Favorite scientist and their contribution or invention?

To all those science nerds out there (or not) who is your favorite scientist past or present and what is their contribution to science?

I personally enjoy reading about Charles Darwin's life, career, and travels. His work is somewhat boring in my opinion (not really into geology or biology much) but as a person he is fascinating. As most people know, he contributed to the science of evolution with his theory of natural selection, among many other things.

I also like Jane Goodall, known for her extensive work with chimpanzees. Not super interested in chimpanzees (they're creepy imo) but she is another person I have read a lot about because I like her as a person. She entered Cambridge University without a college degree as a PhD candidate in the 60s. Super inspiring.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    19d 16h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Tesla is my #1.. I mean, the man made "Einstein's" (fraud-stein) Theory of Relativity look elementary. He expanded on my #2's work, that man being Isaac Newton. Tesla profoundly confronted the uncomfortable, challenging contemporary and outdated science. Tesla was positive that electromagneticism held the wonders of all energy while simultaneously shoving Einstein's radio waves down his throat. I admire Newton in a big way also, both he and Tesla were not only crazy fucking smart, but had balls. True pioneers they were, Newton being atypical of a "scientist." Fibonacci, Galileo, Newton, Tesla, seemed to have shared a similar spirit, a playful curiousity for the divine.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TtotheJ For This Useful Post:

Stocking Anarchy (06-08-2017),Views (06-06-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    8d 14h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttothej View Post
    Tesla is my #1.. I mean, the man made "Einstein's" (fraud-stein) Theory of Relativity look elementary. He expanded on my #2's work, that man being Isaac Newton. Tesla profoundly confronted the uncomfortable, challenging contemporary and outdated science. Tesla was positive that electromagneticism held the wonders of all energy while simultaneously shoving Einstein's radio waves down his throat. I admire Newton in a big way also, both he and Tesla were not only crazy fucking smart, but had balls. True pioneers they were, Newton being atypical of a "scientist." Fibonacci, Galileo, Newton, Tesla, seemed to have shared a similar spirit, a playful curiousity for the divine.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Also the love he had for his pigeon

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Newton I admire for all of his discovers which made a great headway into math and science.

I did a little research into Darwin previously and I find his work on the Gal�pagos with the birds, which supported his theory of evolution. I saw his birds in the Museum of Natural History in London and that was pretty interesting. Of course, gotta give Wallace some credit for his theory of evolution as well haha, he is too often eclipsed by Darwin.
    i love luna

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    8d 14h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    Newton I admire for all of his discovers which made a great headway into math and science.

I did a little research into Darwin previously and I find his work on the Gal�pagos with the birds, which supported his theory of evolution. I saw his birds in the Museum of Natural History in London and that was pretty interesting. Of course, gotta give Wallace some credit for his theory of evolution as well haha, he is too often eclipsed by Darwin.
    Oh definitely. Reading anti-Darwin arguements in favor of Wallace and vice versa are always interesting to read. I only remember learning about Wallace at post secondary level. I never remember learning about him in high school.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    145/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Gauss is my favorite one. He found the shortcut for calculating the sum of an arithmetic progression at the age of 10, which is pretty impressive.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Russel Ohl he contributed a lot to modern technology
    Ana's slave <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Rosalind Franklin.

She was the one who actually found the structure of DNA.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Some of you may not consider him a scientist, but Leon Festinger is right up there with me. For the uninitiated, he is considered the founder of cognitive dissonance theory, and his word has become increasingly relevant in today's politically charged climate in the US (relevant whether or not you agree with a particular sign, mind you). I tend to hate traditional celebrities, since I find the whole notion to be annoying and typically grounded in idiotic qualities/traits/accomplishments. I have always worshipped scientists and theorists, many of whom I was lucky enough to have as professors; some were even the mentors of my own professors. American culture has nowhere near the degree of praise that it should have for these people (trying so hard to not mention war on science--oh wait, I just did--teehee!).
    Queen Bee