Thread: Looking for some ideas regarding my neopets-like game (taking suggestions on a topic)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Looking for some ideas regarding my neopets-like game (taking suggestions on a topic)

So... I wanted to include a certain item in my game (lets call it a chest item). I wanted each chest to be related to a certain location/plot of the story in my game. Using neopets as an example we would have a altador plot chest, cyodrake's gaze chest, battle of meridell chest, etc.

I wanted the chest to be on a timer (similar to clash royale if anyone has played that). So when you want to open a chest it will take x hours and you get a certain reward. What I am struggling with is I do not know what items to reward the players from these location-specific chests.

My game items will MOSTLY consist of these items:
    -Plot rewarded items (released once after the plot and never again).
    -Restockables

The point of the chest item and why it is related to a specific plot (battle of meridell chest, cyodrake's gaze chest, etc) is because I thought it would be cool for the players to try and get items specific to that kind of plot theme. It would be default also reward the player with 'x' amount of points when they open it. This way they are guaranteed a point reward, but won't necessarily win a good item.

These "chests" will be fairly easy to come across (you would win them from a specific event), so keep in mind that I don't want someone winning good items every time. It would be pretty random/low probability to win a good battle item from a chest (greater chance of winning a good item from higher level chest), but then again I could add consumable items like a stat enhancer or morph potion/color changer.

**My Dilemma**
    -I wasn't sure if I should have a specific group of restockables somewhat related to the plot. For example, if I do a pirate plot, I could have a certain group of pirate items that are used strictly for the plot rewards and a second group of pirate items released with the plot that the players CAN restock as well as win from chests.

Options Summary:

#1:
    -Plot Reward: 5-6 items (only released with top plot winners and never again)
    -Plot Chest: 5-6 items that can be restocked AND can be won from a chest (battle items lower % chance of finding, but can find a stat enhancer/potion/consumable related to that plot theme)

#2:
    -Plot Reward: 5-6 items (only released with top plot winners and never again)
    -Plot Chest: 5-6 items that can ONLY be won from a chest (battle items lower % chance of finding, but can find a stat enhancer/potion/consumable related to that plot theme). This will make the value of the chest go up since there will be rare items only accessible from the chest found inside.

#3:
    -You have any ideas?

Do you like the idea that main plot prizes will ONLY be released once for the plot winner and never again? I think that's pretty cool IMO and would make it more competitive for people to do well in the plot/story.

Another problem was that if I do release side items that are restock-able with each plot (i.e. pirate items for a pirate plot), I wanted them to have some kind of relation to the story instead of just the fact that they are pirate themed and deserve to be related to the plot. Does that make sense? I want each item to have a purpose in the game.

Also, if you guys have any other ideas for consumables that can be won from a chest post them here. Right now all I can think of are stat enhancers, morph items, color changing items (like a paint brush), maybe some single use battle items (healers/blockers/bombs/etc).
    Last edited by ItsPeteBrah; 05-28-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    8d 14h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I think option 2 is better than option 1 because it's sometimes better to have items that are just plot items. this gets rid of the risk of restockable items that are of higher value to deflate in value.

and I agree I think that items that are relased only for plot that are valuable do make it so more players are engaged in the plot and more competitive.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I initially wanted to only have the chests give the player a bonus amount of "points"... But I figured I could switch up the style a little and have different themed chests for different chapters of a story and mix in some items. Just a little unsure how though.