149 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Where: Seoul, South Korea
    When: Last Summer
    Do you miss it?: Yes. A lot.
    Why/Why not?: I miss the people, food, and lifestyle. Way prefer it over my life in the states tbh.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    17d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sica View Post
    Where: Seoul, South Korea
    When: Last Summer
    Do you miss it?: Yes. A lot.
    Why/Why not?: I miss the people, food, and lifestyle. Way prefer it over my life in the states tbh.
    Yeah, i've been to Pusan in Korea for a holiday. I did love it! I had a friend that went on exchange their, she lasted three months out of a 12 month commitment.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    10d 1h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Lived in Kuwait for a few years back when I was in high school, born and raised in small town Canada.

I miss certain things about the experience, but overall I didn't enjoy it. I spent grade 9, 10, and part of 11 overseas. Showing my age, but my parents decided to send me back to Canada after 9/11 happened and I finished high school back in Canada.

It really sucked going into high school on the other side of world with no friends and leaving behind friends I had basically known my whole life. I went to an "American" school in Kuwait, so I was there with Canadian, American, British, and Middle Eastern kids, but I had a lot of trouble making friends and didn't really have many friends until shortly before I moved back to Canada. It was a really huge culture shock for me, my world was basically flipped upside down, I was just a kid from some nothing small town in Canada and I was insanely depressed and alone after we moved overseas.

I got to see and experience some crazy parts of the world, though. Went on a ski trip to Switzerland, touched the pyramids in Egypt, partied in Dubai, did copious drugs in Amsterdam, touring London, lounging on beaches in Greece, etc. I guess that makes me sound like an ungrateful brat, and I probably was at the time. Those experiences were some of the best times of my life, but living and going to school overseas were some of the worst times of my life.

In the end I don't know if I would take it back or not, still fairly conflicted with the whole experience. On one hand it was pretty crazy, but on the other hand I didn't cope with it very well at the time. I believe it helped me in the long run as an adult, but at the time all I wanted to do was go home to Canada and I was severely depressed/suicidal.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    149 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bela Lugosi View Post
    Yeah, i've been to Pusan in Korea for a holiday. I did love it! I had a friend that went on exchange their, she lasted three months out of a 12 month commitment.
    A bunch of my friends visited Busan but I had work so I couldn't go. And wow only 3 months? I understand if you haven't been there before and try to do a whole year and can't but daaang. I'd love to do a year there haha.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    17d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sica View Post
    A bunch of my friends visited Busan but I had work so I couldn't go. And wow only 3 months? I understand if you haven't been there before and try to do a whole year and can't but daaang. I'd love to do a year there haha.
    i know right? but i think it's culture shock! i has two roommates in japan that lasted two days in the country then fled back to australia, one of them peed on my couch so it was more a shame thing, but the other roommate, never travelled before got to japan them two days later upped and left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    149 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bela Lugosi View Post
    i know right? but i think it's culture shock! i has two roommates in japan that lasted two days in the country then fled back to australia, one of them peed on my couch so it was more a shame thing, but the other roommate, never travelled before got to japan them two days later upped and left
    Yeah that makes sense. I sort of knew what I was getting into when I went to Korea so there wasn't too much culture shock?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    12d 7h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I haven't but my fiance has. I wrote his responses.

He says:

Doha, Qatar

From 4th grade (2007) to 10th grade (2013). [He came back to my hometown that summer of 2013 and started Junior year with me that fall. ]

Sometimes. It was different and my friends were there and it was a lot of fun, but I also enjoy being here. Being with you and my family, plus things are easier here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I lived in Qatar when I was younger. I dont miss it but I do if that makes sense because I was probably too little to really gain life experience from being there but I do remember it and just wish I was older there

I live in Kuala Lumpur for two years when I was in year 7 too but I hated it because I was away from my Dad and my friends in Australia. Did love all the super cheap PS1 games though :-D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kimmy1989 For This Useful Post:

loserchild (06-13-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I spent three weeks in Ireland as an exchange student in 2003. (Although I don't know why they call it being a "student" if Lions Club does theirs entirely over the summer.) There were some rough points, but I also enjoyed myself, so I guess it's kind of a wash?

I guess Ireland is my "want to move away" country because it has free college tuition, free medical care, it's beautiful, and it's so far north that summers aren't generally very warm. (I packed shorts but I never wore them!) I'd want to live close to Dublin, though, so I could get around by Bus Eireann and not have to worry about learning manual transmission or driving on the other side of the road!