61/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    17d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKotora View Post
    I spent three weeks in Ireland as an exchange student in 2003. (Although I don't know why they call it being a "student" if Lions Club does theirs entirely over the summer.) There were some rough points, but I also enjoyed myself, so I guess it's kind of a wash?

I guess Ireland is my "want to move away" country because it has free college tuition, free medical care, it's beautiful, and it's so far north that summers aren't generally very warm. (I packed shorts but I never wore them!) I'd want to live close to Dublin, though, so I could get around by Bus Eireann and not have to worry about learning manual transmission or driving on the other side of the road!
    I have yet to go to Ireland, but what was the rough points? It's definitely one of the countries i need to live in

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links)Lugosi Oh, nothing that would happen to other people. LOL

Well, okay, arriving sick and puking on the bus could happen to anyone. xD

But weird things like a host sister claiming that she(?) had gotten calls from an upset mother that her daughter was being mistreated, and me saying that it wasn't me (and crying because she was probably yelling at me), and me calling my mother at like 2a her time to verify it wasn't her and...I don't know. This was fourteen years ago, so I don't remember that story in its entirety, or anything much beyond arriving sick and having a miserable time of it until the antibiotics cleared me up.

Depending how old you are, you could do the same program I did--just be aware that you probably wouldn't be sent to the exact same places. (There were 23 of us, so they split us up into groups of three and sent us all over the island--including into Northern Ireland--and had us changing houses every five days.)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    17d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    @(you need an account to see links)Lugosi Oh, nothing that would happen to other people. LOL

Well, okay, arriving sick and puking on the bus could happen to anyone. xD

But weird things like a host sister claiming that she(?) had gotten calls from an upset mother that her daughter was being mistreated, and me saying that it wasn't me (and crying because she was probably yelling at me), and me calling my mother at like 2a her time to verify it wasn't her and...I don't know. This was fourteen years ago, so I don't remember that story in its entirety, or anything much beyond arriving sick and having a miserable time of it until the antibiotics cleared me up.

Depending how old you are, you could do the same program I did--just be aware that you probably wouldn't be sent to the exact same places. (There were 23 of us, so they split us up into groups of three and sent us all over the island--including into Northern Ireland--and had us changing houses every five days.)
    ah, yeah, haha def too old for that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    In case anyone else reads this thread later and wants to know the age span, it's 15-22. (More info (you need an account to see links).)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    145/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Never lived in another country, but I would like to spend some time of my life in Canada. It seems to be an amazing place to live!

Pronouns
    he/him, she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    these replies are so interesting.. am i the only immigrant around here? 0:

i moved to the uk when i was 11-ish, though i was born in eastern europe. but the uk is what i consider my home so idk if this really counts as living 'overseas'. then again they do want me out of here nowadays so...

uwu

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Raylu For This Useful Post:

Komari (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Raychu View Post
    these replies are so interesting.. am i the only immigrant around here? 0:

i moved to the uk when i was 11-ish, though i was born in eastern europe. but the uk is what i consider my home so idk if this really counts as living 'overseas'. then again they do want me out of here nowadays so...
    My people came to America seven generations ago (on both sides) and...I was going to say "have stayed here pretty much since", but not quite.

Mom's side came over from England and lived in New York for a while (but I'm not going to look at Ancestry for once, because I'm lazy. xD ) Dad's side, however, joined the hordes and hordes of Germans that moved to Michigan and settled twenty-five miles north of the capital--even going so far as to name the town Westphalia. From there, they moved to places like Lansing, Fowlerville and Saint Johns, which is which there's a shitload of people with surnames like Martin, Thelen, Fedewa and Rademacher around here.

tl;dr version: my father's people don't leave the state, much less immigrate. xD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    34d 11h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I was stationed in Korea for a year (summer 2013-2014) and was part of the Ebola response in Africa (fall 2014-spring 2015)

I miss Korea, different culture, people were nicer/seemed to care about their health more.

Don't miss Africa (specifically, I was in Liberia)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge For This Useful Post:

Komari (06-12-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I have not 'lived' in other countries before, but I have traveled to many for holiday. I've recently visited Seoul and Busan and I absolutely loved it there! I'd like to experience living abroad, but my job currently doesn't allow me to do that :/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dragons91 For This Useful Post:

Komari (06-13-2017)

Pronouns
    he/him, she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    9d 17h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    My people came to America seven generations ago (on both sides) and...I was going to say "have stayed here pretty much since", but not quite.

Mom's side came over from England and lived in New York for a while (but I'm not going to look at Ancestry for once, because I'm lazy. xD ) Dad's side, however, joined the hordes and hordes of Germans that moved to Michigan and settled twenty-five miles north of the capital--even going so far as to name the town Westphalia. From there, they moved to places like Lansing, Fowlerville and Saint Johns, which is which there's a shitload of people with surnames like Martin, Thelen, Fedewa and Rademacher around here.

tl;dr version: my father's people don't leave the state, much less immigrate. xD
    hahah yeah if we're going that far back, my ancestry's somewhere in russia or something LOL. i guess immigration isn't all that common for what it's worth, lest not if one is born in a place that's a first world country like the USA.

uwu

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raylu For This Useful Post:

Komari (06-13-2017)