54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m

Need some advices [job opportunity]

So I'll graduate next year in CS and this year is my last one as an intern.
    I'm not sure if I'm sad or happy because my internship is my only source of income (yes, I do live with my parents but I like to help paying the bills) so I decided to go look for a job and I found that the majority of it is programming (front, back and full stack).

Well, I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advices so I could learn more (important) things and move forward.
    Right now I know:

- Python (+2 years)
    - C++ (+3.5 years)
    - PHP (< 1 year)
    - CSS & HTML (< 1 year)

I once heard Python isn't a "important" skill even though I developed a tool to aid my team with monitoring and etc.
    Any sort of advice is welcome since I don't know what to do next and I'm (already) looking for a job =)

Edit: Just to make things clear, I'm not here to brag about my coding skills and/or curriculum. There are others who are far better than me and I think we have amazing people here who can actually help ^^
    Last edited by athron; 05-26-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Need some advices [job opportunity]

I would suggest looking into SQL, it may not be very common for programming but definitely useful when working with databases and quite easy to learn the basics too! Somewhat similar to python.

Maybe also look into Java? I see a lot of job requirements asking for Java alongside the other skills you've listed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oneone For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Who told you python isn't a valuable skill? I know a few people who actually do primarily python coding for work and they make very good money.

I can't really advise as to which to focus on more because I don't code myself. There are positions out there for pretty much every language though. It's just finding the right fit. If you're good at what you do, you'll be fine when it comes to the job hunt!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 7h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Python is definitely important and widely used in the tech industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)

Thank you guys for the input!
    As for SQL and Java, I do know a little bit about those two but I'm used with C++ (even though I don't use OOP that much) so it isn't all that hard to understand.
    Regarding Python not being "important", I've heard that countless times at my internship because the vast majority of the programmers there code in Java or PHP so that's why.

I'm a huge Python fan, always trying to code in Python whenever possible but there are cases the requirements force me to code in PHP or C++ so I need to follow it.
    I think I'll learn SQL and focus (more) on Python, I've seen some data analysist job offers in the past few weeks and they seem really temptive.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Good luck in your job hunting! I wish I knew as many languages as you, python came in handy for me when working with GIS (Geographic information system). Other than that, I've never touched python since but regardless these are all fun languages to work with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to oneone For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone View Post
    Good luck in your job hunting! I wish I knew as many languages as you, python came in handy for me when working with GIS (Geographic information system). Other than that, I've never touched python since but regardless these are all fun languages to work with.
    Oh, wow! You've worked with GIS? That sounds awesome!
    Do you still work with it or you went for something else?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by athron View Post
    Oh, wow! You've worked with GIS? That sounds awesome!
    Do you still work with it or you went for something else?
    Technically I can still work on it, but my team has passed on building maps to the intern. If things get busy though I can always help out with GIS. We pass on a lot of menial tasks to the intern here but they are still treated like a full time employee and trained to do just as much.

Did you learn a lot during your internship or did you mostly receive menial tasks?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone View Post
    Technically I can still work on it, but my team has passed on building maps to the intern. If things get busy though I can always help out with GIS. We pass on a lot of menial tasks to the intern here but they are still treated like a full time employee and trained to do just as much.

Did you learn a lot during your internship or did you mostly receive menial tasks?
    I didn't learn that much about computer networking since I got there with a negative knowledge in CN but I do have a better understanding about CN monitoring with SNMP and using Nagios.
    My boss did (and still does) to give me tasks that will help me become a better sys. admin. (and a better programmer since she's always giving me ideas to develop new applications).

One thing I love the most are graphs! I love to create and try to analyze them =)

Grafana is simply amazing for that! It has so many different options and the graphs are really simple to analyze, it's just amazing.
    I also got into PHP and web interface dev. packet (HTML, CSS and Javascript) so yeah, I did learn a few things but not many about CN.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    That's great! I never learnt much as an intern, it just looked good on the resum� when it came to real job hunting. My internship was mostly using basic HTML to update their internal site. I should note that I learnt HTML from coding userlookups/shops on Neopets and this simple skill landed me most of my internships LOL

EDIT: comma..
    Last edited by oneone; 05-26-2017 at 03:12 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to oneone For This Useful Post:

athron (05-26-2017)