Thread: Do you trade cryptocurrency?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I was going to leave it alone (especially since it was so expensive), but then there was an article in the paper today about BTMs and it said that you can buy part of a bitcoin for $20 (which is a simple and reasonable way to start). Now that I've read this thread, I'm interested in ethereum since it's just starting out--as long as you can buy that piecemeal, too.

The only thing I don't understand is this wallet thing and not keeping what you buy on Coinbase itself.
    @I_Royalty_I, how do you handle it? (You seem to have the best grasp on things, so I'll let you be my sort-of-mentor.)

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Also, what's bitcoin cash? (I see that's part of the fork you mentioned, but I'm so new...*shrugs*)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I now own $5 each of bitcoin and ethereum! Yay!

My bitcoin went straight into the coinbase vault I started; but they don't have one for ethereum yet, so I shall simply have to be patient...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I also joined CryptoCompare so I can easily spot when I've made enough of a profit for my liking and can cash out.

(A forty-eight hour waiting period seems a tad long, but when that first sell comes and I'm getting $50-100 after only putting in $5, it will be worth it. )

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    What are your guys' thoughts on Bitcoin Cash?

I've been watching the trends and reading some of the articles on it, and it seems like since it's release it's only deflated in value.

Chart from Coingecko

A lot of articles are suggesting the cryptocurrency will fail for a number of reasons including people not mining it, and just not getting the traction it would need to blow up.

So, I was wondering what everyone here thought about it.

Think it's a worthwhile investment? Think it'll just crash and continue to drop? Is it worth investing now, or better down the road once there's a more stable outlook on it?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I've only heard of the fork, I haven't actively pursued it. (Looking at your chart, I won't, either--YIKES!)

At this point, I'm satisfied with my btc and eth investments; and if I had any extra money to put toward it, I would add more to my eth pot, because it's still in its infancy, while btc is at "teenager" stage (if not full-on young adult).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Komari For This Useful Post:

|2eap (08-10-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    they done made me richer. i don't keep any BTC but i have been buying up ETH and LTC every chance i could since ETH was still 12 a coin (before dipping to 6/7 before its first jump). All my LTC is bought at 33 or less.

I was hoping BTC was going to tank from the fork. Would be nice to pick up some cheap BTC again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Komari (08-10-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm sure my investments would look a whole lot better if I had some more to put in it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Komari View Post
    I was going to leave it alone (especially since it was so expensive), but then there was an article in the paper today about BTMs and it said that you can buy part of a bitcoin for $20 (which is a simple and reasonable way to start). Now that I've read this thread, I'm interested in ethereum since it's just starting out--as long as you can buy that piecemeal, too.

The only thing I don't understand is this wallet thing and not keeping what you buy on Coinbase itself.
    @I_Royalty_I, how do you handle it? (You seem to have the best grasp on things, so I'll let you be my sort-of-mentor.)

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Also, what's bitcoin cash? (I see that's part of the fork you mentioned, but I'm so new...*shrugs*)
    Sorry I didn't reply to you sooner - that mention didn't work

That is one thing that I have seen being an issue to mass adoption. Nobody wants to spend like $400 to own .1 of a bitcoin. That doesn't feel very satisfying. It's similar to how to big stocks today are valued at thousands. Nobody wants to pay all this money to own what seems like a tiny bit of something. I have seen discussions of having a smaller value. You know how there are 8 bits in a byte? I heard somebody talking about making the unit being sold as bits, that way instead of buying .1 BTC you could buy 1,000,000 bits. I think my math is right there. That's a little more satisfying. That's just one example, but I'm sure there's a better measurement.

You can buy every coin like that, little at a time. There are some coins that don't transfer unless you have a whole coin, but they are few and far between.

Personally I have my coins spread out on a bunch of different places. I have some of it on coinbase, I have some of it on exchanges like poloniex and bittrex, I have some of it on myetherwallet, and I have some of it on desktop wallets. I don't like to keep it all in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mophead View Post
    What are your guys' thoughts on Bitcoin Cash?

I've been watching the trends and reading some of the articles on it, and it seems like since it's release it's only deflated in value.

Chart from Coingecko

A lot of articles are suggesting the cryptocurrency will fail for a number of reasons including people not mining it, and just not getting the traction it would need to blow up.

So, I was wondering what everyone here thought about it.

Think it's a worthwhile investment? Think it'll just crash and continue to drop? Is it worth investing now, or better down the road once there's a more stable outlook on it?

Thoughts?
    It's a shit coin. I don't see it ever seriously competing with BTC. I made a decent amount trading it around when it came out though. Kind of screwed myself on the last trade I made buying before it totally tanked. Probably lost about $650 but I'm just gonna hold it and wait for it to go back up.

It's definitely not a worthwhile investment, long term at least. I only saw it as a short term to cash in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by |2eap View Post
    they done made me richer. i don't keep any BTC but i have been buying up ETH and LTC every chance i could since ETH was still 12 a coin (before dipping to 6/7 before its first jump). All my LTC is bought at 33 or less.

I was hoping BTC was going to tank from the fork. Would be nice to pick up some cheap BTC again.
    I grabbed a bunch of ETH last year too. When I first started my new job I had more money than I knew what to do with. Tossed a few hundred into ETH and BTC just for fun.. turns out the like $200 that I put into ETH was worth about $6k after a few months. Used that to trade around and invest in different coins here and there. Only have about 5 LTC right now but been considering going in big on it soon.
    Missed the last big dip across the board about a month ago. Was planning to put about $5-6k in that I have been saving up. It hurts to see my money only go half as far right now. Ugh.

I hit another lucky buy when I went in on Antshares, now NEO, when it was cheap. Looked up the leading Chinese coin and ANT came up. Spent about $700 on it to get 72 coins. It hit like $55/per last week. Insane. I think it is only going to go up from there. Strengthened to about 90 coins. Goal is 100.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

|2eap (08-16-2017),cibomatto (09-01-2017),Komari (08-15-2017),Mophead (08-16-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Sorry I didn't reply to you sooner - that mention didn't work

That is one thing that I have seen being an issue to mass adoption. Nobody wants to spend like $400 to own .1 of a bitcoin. That doesn't feel very satisfying. It's similar to how to big stocks today are valued at thousands. Nobody wants to pay all this money to own what seems like a tiny bit of something. I have seen discussions of having a smaller value. You know how there are 8 bits in a byte? I heard somebody talking about making the unit being sold as bits, that way instead of buying .1 BTC you could buy 1,000,000 bits. I think my math is right there. That's a little more satisfying. That's just one example, but I'm sure there's a better measurement.

You can buy every coin like that, little at a time. There are some coins that don't transfer unless you have a whole coin, but they are few and far between.

Personally I have my coins spread out on a bunch of different places. I have some of it on coinbase, I have some of it on exchanges like poloniex and bittrex, I have some of it on myetherwallet, and I have some of it on desktop wallets. I don't like to keep it all in one place.

It's a shit coin. I don't see it ever seriously competing with BTC. I made a decent amount trading it around when it came out though. Kind of screwed myself on the last trade I made buying before it totally tanked. Probably lost about $650 but I'm just gonna hold it and wait for it to go back up.

It's definitely not a worthwhile investment, long term at least. I only saw it as a short term to cash in a bit.

I grabbed a bunch of ETH last year too. When I first started my new job I had more money than I knew what to do with. Tossed a few hundred into ETH and BTC just for fun.. turns out the like $200 that I put into ETH was worth about $6k after a few months. Used that to trade around and invest in different coins here and there. Only have about 5 LTC right now but been considering going in big on it soon.
    Missed the last big dip across the board about a month ago. Was planning to put about $5-6k in that I have been saving up. It hurts to see my money only go half as far right now. Ugh.

I hit another lucky buy when I went in on Antshares, now NEO, when it was cheap. Looked up the leading Chinese coin and ANT came up. Spent about $700 on it to get 72 coins. It hit like $55/per last week. Insane. I think it is only going to go up from there. Strengthened to about 90 coins. Goal is 100.
    Never looked into NEO

I wanna put a grand into xrp while it's low (if it still is)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Crypto currencies are fascinating but their mining is really causing issues for the PC Enthusiasts, they've eaten up a ton of GPU market output, which means GPUs are at a premium right now, especially the usually affordable options in the 4-6gb range

And they usually burn out these brand new cards meaning you can't buy them used...the used market is hell.

Mining rigs are ridiculous.

I'm waiting on GPU and other computer parts till Etherium drops off GPU mining and is picked up by the Chinese farms.

I have however considered investment into some Etherium, but at the moment my stocks are doing alright so I haven't figured on it, I'm slowly building a decent little cash flow from it.