Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about people getting married young?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by kadoatie View Post
    I don't really care about what people do, but I do get nervous if they say something related to religion to justify a marriage or something lol.
    One of my friends married last year when she was 20 because someone from her church said that they were meant to each other and all that bullshit. Now they are still married but they get into discussions everyday and she says she's tired of that but god wouldn't forgive her if they break up @(you need an account to see links)______@
    That's a horrible mindset to be in and I hate when people/groups/etc use religion/god as a fear tactic. I hope someday she will realize that she can walk away without fearing god's opinion.
    Aura loves me ♥
    Accelerator's cK gma :')

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    21d 5h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexxie View Post
    That's a horrible mindset to be in and I hate when people/groups/etc use religion/god as a fear tactic. I hope someday she will realize that she can walk away without fearing god's opinion.
    I tried to talk to her about this, but she didn't want to listen to me. And she told me that her mother keeps saying that god is doing this to show her that their "love" is real, that she msut keep that relationship, and they'll get through this phase and bla bla bla. -_-
    I don't know what else can I do, I just listen to her complaints almost everyday and say something like 'things will get better soon'.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by kadoatie View Post
    I tried to talk to her about this, but she didn't want to listen to me. And she told me that her mother keeps saying that god is doing this to show her that their "love" is real, that she msut keep that relationship, and they'll get through this phase and bla bla bla. -_-
    I don't know what else can I do, I just listen to her complaints almost everyday and say something like 'things will get better soon'.
    It sounds like whatever religion she's involved with is more cult-ish than it is godly. I hope she can break free someday. There is little to no hope of fixing a marriage you don't want to be in.
    Aura loves me ♥
    Accelerator's cK gma :')

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    It doesn't really affect me if a couple decides to marry young, they can feel free to do whatever they want haha It used to strike me as really odd and unrelatable when I saw people my age getting married back when I was in the 18-21 age bracket because I myself was going through university and didn't feel anywhere near ready to commit myself to a marriage, much less a family.

Now that I'm 24 I'm less surprised by things. I do have to say, though, that 18 year olds look like babies to me now (especially the guys since a lot of them tend to be quite thin coming out of high school) so the idea of such young-looking people stepping out into the world and wholly embracing their new status as "adults" is amusing (but not in a bad way).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    From a military stand-point, it's absolutely cringe-worthy and I wish (secretly and never outloud where i'll be drug through fires), that the military had a minimum age limit to get married. All these dumbass boots right out of training go off and marry the first landwhale/stripper/floozy from back home and then 6 months later, I'm dealing with a divorce between the idiots and she's causing problems, he's causing problems, and everyone is screaming at each other, plus there's usually a 3rd girl or guy in the picture mucking everything up.

Until you're older and you've found a mature enough woman/man to deal with moving every 3 years, deployments, meager paychecks, shitty hours, tons of time away from home, and the stress of the job, you don't need to marry the first hoe off the block. It's frustrating and since it personally affects me and the people around me, plus my unit readiness, I feel I have a say in what happens with other people's personal lives.

I married my husband super young and everyone spent the first 5 years of our relationship walking on eggshells waiting for it to implode. Are we perfect? Nah, but we have our shit together unlike the other 95% of idiots I deal with daily.

No joke, this idiot PFC fell in love with a stripper who was on her 3rd marriage and 5th kid. He was "in love" and guess what got shoved across my inbox last month? A domestic dispute because crazy stripper flipped out and starting throwing kitchen knives.
    I swear to god there needs to be an age limit. Your dumb ass can't drink before 21, you shouldn't be allowed to marry until you're old enough to rent a car without a parent's consent.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

Corliss (03-14-2018),maya (12-06-2020)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    703 times
    Time Online
    156d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake. View Post
    From a military stand-point, it's absolutely cringe-worthy and I wish (secretly and never outloud where i'll be drug through fires), that the military had a minimum age limit to get married. All these dumbass boots right out of training go off and marry the first landwhale/stripper/floozy from back home and then 6 months later, I'm dealing with a divorce between the idiots and she's causing problems, he's causing problems, and everyone is screaming at each other, plus there's usually a 3rd girl or guy in the picture mucking everything up.

Until you're older and you've found a mature enough woman/man to deal with moving every 3 years, deployments, meager paychecks, shitty hours, tons of time away from home, and the stress of the job, you don't need to marry the first hoe off the block. It's frustrating and since it personally affects me and the people around me, plus my unit readiness, I feel I have a say in what happens with other people's personal lives.

I married my husband super young and everyone spent the first 5 years of our relationship walking on eggshells waiting for it to implode. Are we perfect? Nah, but we have our shit together unlike the other 95% of idiots I deal with daily.

No joke, this idiot PFC fell in love with a stripper who was on her 3rd marriage and 5th kid. He was "in love" and guess what got shoved across my inbox last month? A domestic dispute because crazy stripper flipped out and starting throwing kitchen knives.
    I swear to god there needs to be an age limit. Your dumb ass can't drink before 21, you shouldn't be allowed to marry until you're old enough to rent a car without a parent's consent.
    You're job sounds so entertaining! I do agree with you though. I was married when I was 27 and my hubby 25 (rawr cougar)....anyways besides the point I still felt like we were still "young." But I guess you could say that we were mature and ready. I think that as long as you are both emotionally mature and responsible enough for marriage age can be irrelevant. But yeah don't go marrying the first fish you reel in....

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    8d 14h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I married my partner recently. I'm in my mid-20s. I could never imagine marrying them earlier because neither of us were mature enough to handle a marriage. We have been dating for almost 7 years and have lived together for a good portion of that and I think that definitely will help our marriage down the road because we have been living together for so long already.
    I have had a few friends get married in their early 20s to their "high school sweethearts" and have had major issues, while others have not and are happily married with children. I think it all depends on the situation and the maturity of both people, as well as the reason for getting married. My mom got married at 19 and divorced her husband at 21 because she married to get away from her mom. She loved her husband but she rushed into it too fast and wasn't mature enough to be tied down.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Depends by what you mean by young. Generally 21 is the minimum acceptable age for me. Unfortunately as the economic landscape changes and people are forced to be wageslaves for longer and harder, it's not surprising to see people getting married around 30, and if they plan to have children there could be reproductive problems down the line. Not only that but people are more focused on chasing goals that for the most part could be rather empty. People never think about the joys of raising a child, and hey if you make the right choices with your partner, marrying younger could be very good for you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    66d 17h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    People fall in love at different ages. I personally think 18 is too young, but that's just me. When I graduated high school I still didn't know myself and had no idea what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be. Going to college all four years helped shape me, and I found myself and became more knowledgeable about the real world and life struggles. I personally didn't have time for a relationship because I was career motivated and didn't want anything to detour me in anyway getting my degree on time. I personally think people should wait until they fully mature and fully know the person they're marrying. I'm also one of those people that don't believe in love at first site unless it's a cheeseburger or a delicious slice of pizza, so getting married a few months or even in a year is too soon!!! lol I do believe in marriage but it should be for the right reasons (not for financial benefits or any of that). I've been with my spouse for a little under two years, and we plan to get married soon!

I hope my grammar wasn't too terrible. I'm still in bed trying to wake up.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    17d 11h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    It doesn't feel realistic in this day and age.

If you're "young" -- assuming that's in the 18-26 range -- then you've still got so much to work through. If you don't go to college (which takes up 4 years) and possibly go beyond that, and just go right into the workforce, then you're going to be putting a lot of time towards establishing yourself in terms of self-sufficiency and stability. Getting married seems like a bad idea when you have all these other things going on, taking up your energy, effort and money.

If you really want to, go ahead? It doesn't affect me or my life in any way, and I'm happy for you in your certainty.
    Just be careful, thoughtful and keep everything open with your partner of choice, because you really don't want things to fall apart at a point like this. Weddings can be expensive, time-consuming and hard to balance with everything else going on in your life, and taking the plunge early seems worrisome to me.

I'm waiting for that point where everything's stable and comfortable, myself. I can't afford to start drama in my family right now, and neither my girlfriend or I are fully independent yet, so we're just going to wait until we're moved out and have our lives fairly well-ordered.

As a topic, marriage has definitely come up, but we've both just sort of agreed to get there when we get there.