Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about people getting married young?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I could not care less what other people do with their lives. This said, I mean as a gay man, I tend to have friends who "date" a lot of guys and have a lot of "relationships (dating in the gay world is reallllly interesting)." For this reason, I have, in my own mind, formed kind of a "keys to a successful longterm relationship/marriage" list, especially considering that I have been with my husband for 11 years, and this seems to be a rare longevity among my NYC peers. I do think that one should have an idea of what else is out there, which tends to suggest that there is a degree of maturity required in a successful relationship (again, IMO). This is now to say that someone 18-21 cannot possibly accomplish this, but realistically, the laws of probability suggest that this is more unlikely. In addition to having some idea of what else is out there, a solid sense of self really helps, as does "pre-cohabilitation"--I have always thought that people who do not cohabitate before marriage are at a severe disadvantage because we all have pet-peeves and things of the like, and these can be deal breakers. If we do not know whether or not our potential living partner possesses these dealbreakers, it can lead to unintentional resentment/issues early on. Again, all of this is anecdotal and strictly opinion, but that is my $.02.
    Queen Bee

Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If its what they want, then why not? They arent marrying the people.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    11d 8h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    It's none of my business but it does baffle me seeing someone around my age (or younger) married (and even having a few kids) because I can't ever imagine myself in their position. :p I'm in my early-mid 20s and I feel like that's still too young of an age in this time and age to be tied down by spousal/familial commitment and obligations.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 14h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think bullshit. I care for freedom.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Serrah View Post
    IMPORTANT: I totally DO NOT MEAN child marriages. Everyone here is 18 at this point. I'm talking about like 18-21.

How do you guys feel about young marriages, like literally out of high school or in college? I know some people don't feel that it'll last but others think high school sweethearts will stay together forever. Some young couples do it for the government benefits of being a poor college couple, and some are just impulsive and don't know what they want. I want to know everyone else's opinion and maybe some stories and share a story I'm currently WTFing at right now.

Even though I completely detached myself from my high school my senior year, I still used Facebook to keep up to date on people I know and general high school drama. Graduation was officially May 23rd, and now we are officially high schol graduates. Since then, two couples have gotten engaged, and one got married (tiny wedding before he ships off in the navy or something).
    I'm just like ????????
    I've known these people since elementary school pretty much, and one of them basically my whole life. Navy couple girl is totally impulsive, and goes after everything that isn't hers. She spent much of her high school career scooping up ex boyfriends of her friends and then wondering why she lost a friend - her husband is one of those conquests. I'm pretty sure that marriage is doomed for divorce - but who knows, they're both terrible people, they might be perfect.
    The other couple I kinda understand, as he's from a Muslim family (though they aren't super religious and controlling) and she has a lot of family issues. They're both great people, and were my best friends at points, but for reasons we just kinda stopped talking. I think they'll actually stay together, they're fantastic for each other and I support them wholeheartedly.

It just feels surreal to me that these people are getting married and we literally just graduated high school. They haven't even been together that long, and it kinda makes me feel weird, too. I've been with my boyfriend for 3+ yrs, and we live together now, but aren't married, and these people that have been together less than a year are marrying off and being adults.
    {I know I've been in college the past year but please don't make me adult yet I'm not ready D:}
    Where do they get the money to elope like that??
    in the end no one ever knew what the outcome would be. So I guess� you have to do your best to make a decision that you won�t regret.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by 70spurple View Post
    Where do they get the money to elope like that??
    I eloped in Vegas for like $100. It's not that expensive.
    Aura loves me ♥
    Accelerator's cK gma :')

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bexxie For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-22-2017)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    If they're ready then why not? I don't see a problem with it as long as the relationship is a healthy one. People meet the right person at different ages, who am I to judge?

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexxie View Post
    I eloped in Vegas for like $100. It's not that expensive.
    Pics or it didn't happen lol
    in the end no one ever knew what the outcome would be. So I guess� you have to do your best to make a decision that you won�t regret.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    131 times
    Time Online
    46d 4h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by 70spurple View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen lol
    This was back in 2009 so it may be a little more expensive now but I'm not lying. We were a broke AF couple when we got married so we went with the cheapest route possible.
    Aura loves me ♥
    Accelerator's cK gma :')

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bexxie For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-22-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    21d 5h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I don't really care about what people do, but I do get nervous if they say something related to religion to justify a marriage or something lol.
    One of my friends married last year when she was 20 because someone from her church said that they were meant to each other and all that bullshit. Now they are still married but they get into discussions everyday and she says she's tired of that but god wouldn't forgive her if they break up @(you need an account to see links)______@