Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about people getting married young?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by xmilo View Post
    I would say that in my country, people consider marrying young as a risky course of action due to rising housing costs, food costs, electricity bills. If you feel that you are financially stable and will be able to feed everyone in the family, I would think that you are ready to get married. That's just from a financial standpoint.

However, from a relationship point of view, i would say that you require more time for interaction with your partner. Might even be a better idea to stay together for long periods of time to get to know each other's habits and lifestyle as it's not possible to find out such things from short hangouts/dates.
    Marrying young doesn't necessarily mean marrying someone you've known for a few months. Many people who marry young have known each other since they were kids.

Controversial opinion, but from what I've observed marriages with a 10+ year age difference tend to last longer and be happier. (Not referring to kids obviously, I mean like 22 and 32.)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    175 times
    Time Online
    245d 8h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 17m
    Quote Originally Posted by champloo View Post
    Marrying young doesn't necessarily mean marrying someone you've known for a few months. Many people who marry young have known each other since they were kids.

Controversial opinion, but from what I've observed marriages with a 10+ year age difference tend to last longer and be happier. (Not referring to kids obviously, I mean like 22 and 32.)
    Heh, I didnt mention that marrying young = marry someone who you've known for a few months. All I said was that, you need more interaction and more time together for both parties to know one another thoroughly. And of course, your example of people who have known each other since they were kids fit into my criteria.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    6d 23h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by champloo View Post

A 32 year old dating a 22 year old seems fucked up to me. I mean, 22 year olds are pretty damn immature. I dated a 31 year old when I was 20 and I feel creeped out by it in retrospect. I was not a mature person when I was 20, I was kinda fucked up. What kind of grown adult would want to devote their life/time to someone like that?

However, my boyfriend's parents are like 50 and 70... And they are awesome and I love them both a lot.. so,,, I don't know.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    12h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Here in brazil this is so common too..

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    12d 7h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I was going to say that my fiance and I are kinda marrying young, but then I realized we'll be at least 23 when we tie the knot lmfao. So I guess not super young, but still.
    He is my high school sweetheart though, been together since 17 years old and Junior year, turning 21 and have degrees now.

Personally, I think it's fine if both of them really understand what they're getting into. Marriage is expensive, love is hard, and leaving marriage is even more expensive.
    If they understand, and feel that they know the person well enough to have legal ties to them, I say go for it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    11d 12h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I live in Chile too!

I think we as chileans don't get married so young, for social and economic reasons

Most of the people I know that are 18-30 (sometimes even up to 45) Aren't married but are in a relationship
    And most people I know of said ages find marriage to be very unnecessary

Also I guess it's hard in chile to have a married relationship as you are expected to move with your partner and most of the people I know don't have the $$$ to do so :/

Edit:

Another thing, I think it depends on the reasons of the marriage and the personality of the person.
    Also, I think they tend to fail if they get together with a classmate after the school ends. I've seen this happen A LOT where I live. I see that their relationships don't work because the only thing that made them be together and "love" each other was the school so after it ends they end up developing new interests and meeting new people.
    Most of the failed relationships I've seen are of people that met and after a month they started their relationships and that it turn out they didn't like how the partner behaved and different things that could have been solved if their personalities were more flexible

This is not always the case tho, for example My BF and I met and a month after we met we started a relationship that has been going on for 4 years
    We want to get married but there's no $$$ and the cities we live on are expensive
    Last edited by Bruh; 06-03-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    I got married at 19 (now 21), and honestly I don't recommend. I obviously don't regret it one bit, I love my husband with all my heart and this was like a dream come true for both of us, but getting married and living together really brings your personal life to a halt, I had to drop out of college so I could find a job to help with our expenses and it was such a reality shock to go from the sheltered youngest daughter of a businessman to a housewife in a town unknown, though I have to admit that it helped me be a lot more independent much faster and this is the main thing that made my parents aprove of my marriage. But it could've gone horribly wrong if I didn't have so much support from both our families!
    If you're thinking about marrying your SO before finishing college, please think of ways to keep up with your studies, don't do it just for the sake of it because adulting is really difficult! And for the love of God, don't have children.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I guess I just don't understand the rush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 13h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    i haven't read the entire thread, but i grew up in a country where the general opinion here is that getting married before you have a stable career AND a place to live in (housing is ridiculously expensive here) is literally insane. when people get married at 18 - 21, 90% of the time it involves a kid that neither party planned for. the reputation and image of both of the parents (and their families, especially) are very important, so marriage seems to be the only logical choice here. some of these marriages end in divorce a couple of years down the road (because honestly, the person you think you love enough to want to raise a baby together? it's not working out), but i have had a few acquaintances who chose to stay hitched for the sake of their child... it's kind of sad, honestly.

personally i think it's alright as long as both parties are capable of juggling the living expenses and, most importantly, are happy together. the latter is obviously harder because as you grow up you're going to be more exposed to different types of people -- i've had friends who were with the same partner since they were 15 eventually breaking up after 8 years together just because they met someone else when they stepped into the workforce.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 22h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't really mind, if they are very serious about one another, go for it. What's very common right now, is we have a lot of young mothers. I've never seen so many women/girls getting pregnant so young.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast